Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Shop Now HTL

on October 23, 2003
I bought one of these to move video editing stuff between my Win2000 PC and my WinXP laptop. The drive arrived quickly and installed under both operating systems in minutes. Excellent install instructions. Very good quality of the enclosure. I felt I had made a very good choice. Apparently not.
I used the drive for two days, and then it died - none of the PCs could find the drive when I plugget it in.
I sent a request to support at LaCie, they never responded at all. Not a single word. Not even an autoresponse that my question had been received.
Since I had data on the disk I didn't want to lose, and the support site said that all data would be erased, I decided not to send the drive to LaCie support. Assuming that the drive was fine but the FireWire to IDE card was hosed, I broke the seal, removed the HD and installed it as an internal drive in my PC. This worked like a charm, but now my warranty is gone.
What was I left with - a very expensive harddrive and a need to buy a new enclosure for it.
Due to the absolute silence from LaCie support I will never du business with LaCie again. I can accept that stuff breaks, it may have been a stroke of bad luck, but I do expect support to respond to questions.
on December 1, 2003
I had some question about the drive. The tech support answered the phone - yes a real person - and was very professionnal. It is nice to buy a rugged product and have a solid tech support. I was amazed when they told me that the product was built on Oregon. It is even nicer than a cool mac designed in Cuppertino but made in 10000 miles away.
I wanted to know more about it and tested the external drive against my internal hd. The Lacie external product was faster. How can it be ? I need to call them again.
on June 20, 2003
On a Mac running OS X this drive is a breeze and a joy. Attach the base (if you are going to use it in a vertical position), plug in the power supply, plug in the firewire connectors, and there it is on your desktop. It is quick, relatively quiet, has a sturdy case, and it looks good next to my G4 Cube. I can't imagine a product meeting my needs -- storing photos, doing backups for our 4 Macs, holding music -- any better than this. I have owned LaCie products before and have never had a problem with one.
on August 13, 2003
I highly recommend the La Cie d2 hard drive. I bought the 120GB model to back up my critically important files from my Dell Latitude C400 laptop (many Gigs worth) as well as my Outlook emails and contacts (About another Gig worth). I bought a PCMCIA-to-Firewire converter card so that I could take advantage of La Cie's Firewire connection and easily connect the external hard drive to my laptop. Then I popped in the CD which came with the La Cie hard drive and followed the instructions on how to format the new hard drive for Windows 2000 machines (I know nothing about formatting hard drives by the way). It was easy but the formatting took about an hour. But it was basically automatic. Then when that was finished, I just opened up Windows Explorer and copied my "My Documents" folder and pasted it on the new drive letter that represented the La Cie hard drive. It took about 15 minutes and it was a snap. I am sooooo delighted that I bought this hard drive that I am planning to buy another one for my Mac. Anyway, BUY THE LA CIE d2 HARD DRIVE. It works great, is easy to hook up and it won't let you down. Oh and by the way, it looks very cool too.
on January 12, 2006
Early in 2004, my company was in the market for 2 external harddrives for back-up purposes & I, personally, was in the market for the same reason. After much research, testimonial reading & spec comparison, i chose the LaCie D2 family. In the past 8 months, i have been responsible for the purchase of 2 120 GB & 2 250 GB harddrives. I have sent 2 back to the original retail store as they failed within 2 months. I have sent 2 back to LaCie for warranty repairs. So, out of 4 drives, I have had 4 replaced. This is a BAD track record. I am waiting for my personal drive to arrive back from LaCie, at which time I will sell on ebay & use the money to do some sort of online storage service that guarantees & backs up my data.

Aside from my woes with LaCie, I have heard *horror* stories from friends & colleagues about other manufacuter's hard drives... as well as other woes with iPods, memory sticks, USB minidrives, etc etc.... So, i am generally weary of all external storage devices. REMEMBER - redundancy is ALWAYS a good thing. DO NOT put all your eggs in one basket. And, NEVER assume something is fail-proof.
on June 19, 2003
This is a very good drive for the money, if only it would last a bit longer. While it was working (it crashed after just five months of very light usage), it copied files very fast, gave great access to video and was always available without a glitch. Even though any hard drive can crash at any point in time, I expect better from LaCie. They are currently working on getting a replacement, but of course I lost all the backup data, something I had the drive for in the first place.
on June 17, 2003
I have purchased three of these over the last 3 months, and all are working flawlessly. At the end of the day, most external hard drives work the same, so for me it's about design, price, warranty, etc. LaCie's drives exceed all of the standards, and the company has great tech support to boot. I called to get some info on setting up a RAID, and the person on the phone was very knowledgeable.
on October 27, 2003
Installation (XP Home) was a cinch. I've had this for a month and have experienced no problems. Its main use is to back up a laptop in its entirety once a week, so it doesn't go through very rigorous paces. No comment on the back-up software included with this drive because I haven't used it. I already had software that I trusted and hesitated to change since it was unnecessary.
Aesthetically pleasing hard drive, seems well-built (love the metal case), has a pretty small footprint, and does what I need. I didn't give it 5 stars, though, because I'm cheap as hell and wished that it cost a little less that it did. However, if and when I'll need another hard drive I'd buy this one again.
on January 3, 2005
This was my fourth and possibly last LaCie drive.

Loved the spec, size, footprint, speed and yes its fairly quiet.

Unfortunatley however, and mine is not the first story, the drive is rather inept at actually storing data.

The drive was partitioned into two drives and worked well untill it started not opening folders. Instead it returned error 'unformatted drive' messages. This then spread to the whole of one drive before the next.

From reading other reviews the problem is the power down which wrecks the drive. Nice.
on September 17, 2003
No kidding - from the box to first successful backup took 5 minutes. This baby is perfect. Connect the firewire and power cables, and Mac OSX does the rest. It even drops a cool looking icon on the desktop that looks like the d2 drive. I used the beta version of Backup 2.0 (a .MAC application) and backed up my 30 GB iTunes library in no time. Before buying, I read the reviews on this site and read some magazine reviews, all of which were glowing. They were right; 120 GB is a lot of storage for the money. This product is a "no muss, no fuss" storage solution and works beautifully. Get this drive, you won't be disappointed.