5.0 out of 5 stars small. not the speediest, but really small.
design: rikiki's design is extremely simplistic and sleek. beautiful, if you like modern-style gadgets like me. it's most likely the smallest 2.5" drive you've ever seen in your life. the feel of the aluminum feels very nice. it's brushed and smooth.

Published on February 3, 2010 by J. Song

1.0 out of 5 stars Frequent disconnects.
I just picked up this drive, because I've had a number of LaCie drives with no issues, and wanted to replace my old 40g and 80g firewire LaCie drives with a single larger portable drive to carry with me.

Published on April 16, 2011 by Hank Driskill

5.0 out of 5 stars small. not the speediest, but really small., February 3, 2010
This review is from: LaCie Rikiki 640 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive 301911 (Personal Computers)

performance: 640gb is an amazing capacity for this size. i've seen 750gb and 1tb 2.5" external hard drives, but they are 1.5+ times thicker than regular 2.5" external hard drives. speaking of speed, it's not the fastest external hd i've seen, but it's definitely more than fast enough for movie use.

two minor flaws: the edges of the aluminum case are very sharp, so carrying this thing around with other things would probably scratch the items touching the drive. second, the location of the usb port is sort of awkward. it will take up more space than you think on your desk, because the cable needs to take a turn to get to your laptop's usb port. by the way, the cable is very short.

overall i would recommend this drive to anyone looking for a tiny external hd and cares about style. it's perfect for your jean pocket. but i wouldn't recommend it if you're going to indiscriminantly carry this thing with all sorts of other things you don't want to get scratched.

UPDATE
i've been using this drive for a couple of weeks now - i've had no heat issues with it (it gets warm but not hot) while writing 200+ gigs on it. it's a real pleasure to touch the case, more so than my unibody macbook pro. the brushed aluminum is a beauty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frequent disconnects., April 16, 2011
Hank Driskill "HankD" (Valencia, CA United States) - See all my reviews

Unfortunately, since plugging it in last night, I've been plagued with connection issues: plugged directly into the computer, plugged into a powered USB hub, plugged into the powered USB hub on my monitor, all have the same problem... I've also tried a few different USB-to-miniUSB cables, no change.

It randomly disconnects, I haven't been able to successfully get the data off my old 80g LaCie firewire drive (which still functions fine)... after an evening of abortive attempts, and a conversation with LaCie where they've tried to convince me that my USB ports (rated at 5W, and with no problems with any other drives) are at fault, I'm done. It even disconnects when just sitting idle, as it did just now while I was writing this. :(

I'm returning the drive, and figured it was worth adding my voice to others here suggesting that you not buy it. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the job, September 21, 2010
I needed a temporary drive to clone and boot Mac OS X 10.6 while my laptop was in repair - and Rikiki fits the job perfectly. Small to carry around, "standard" miniUSB cable (I use ZioTek Shortys), no power supply - great with MacBook Pro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, Sleek, Fast -- Perfect!, April 24, 2010
If you're looking for a remarkably small, spacious, pocket size hard drive this device is the way to go. I've had this hard drive for over three months now, shortly after it came out. Before deciding to buy, I was worried LaCie wasn't as reliable as Western Digital, but this hard drive has proved in fact to be very reliable.

Pros:
Pocket size
Virtually silent
No external power needed
Same speed as majority of external hard drives
Works with both Mac and PC
Brushed exterior resists scratches
Included 10 GB online storage
Competitive price
Rapidly decreasing price since first launched

Cons: (all minor)
USB Cable length too short for some
USB Boost doesn't support Windows 7 64-bit
After Safely Removing Hardware performed in Windows OS, hard drive still stays on and doesn't turn off like other external hard drives do. No risk of data loss though.

The USB cable length may be a drawback for some people, especially if the USB cable is the only one you have. In LaCie's defense, it does make more sense to have a small cable go with a small hard drive to enhance the unit's portability. For a laptop, the cable length is unlikely to be a major issue. With a desktop, a longer USB cable is a must. If you don't already have longer USB cables get this one for really cheap: AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Mini-B Cable (6 Feet / 1.8 Meters) [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging].

An absolute must if you frequently travel. The smaller size more than makes up for the slight premium compared to other hard drives of similar capacity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drive won't format, February 14, 2010
EJG (Albany, NY) - See all my reviews
I plugged the 640GB Rikiki into my laptop and XP Pro installed it. When I clicked on the Rikiki drive letter in "My Computer", a window came up and said that I would have to go through a format. I accepted the license ULA that popped up and started the format. The format started but after about 5 minutes, a message popped up and said that the Format could not complete nor could the "User Manual" or "Back-up Software" be copied. It said the Manual and software could be downloaded from the Lacie website and gave me the link. I found the Rikiki user's manual and went through the described window's format procedure. I tried twice, but each time the drive appeared to be formatting, but stopped in about an hour saying "Drive Could Not Be Formatted". For the lack of anything else to try, I selected the "Extended Partition" option and started the format. In a few hours it completed. I copied almost 400GB to the drive overnight. The next day, I added a few more small files to the drive. A short time later I clicked on the drive in "My Computer" and it said "Drive is not formatted". I wasted a few days so far with this drive and now I'll have to contact Lacie and see what they say or just return the drive.

I described my drive problems to Lacie tech support and they recommended that I get a replacement drive. Amazon promptly sent out a new one. This time, the new one installed and formatted just like the manual says. Copied over 400GB and no problems so far. I upped my rating from one star to four since I wasted so much time on the first defective drive. Otherwise it would have been 5 stars. I also bought the Lacie padded drive case for the Rikiki, but you really need to purchase a cable with a right angle USB plug in order to use the drive while strapped in the case since the USB port is on the side of the drive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in LaCie, October 9, 2011
AH in BR (Baton Rouge, LA USA) - See all my reviews
LaCie has long been the most trusted brand in external hard drives. It appears that is no longer the case. I had my Rikiki 500 GB USB sitting quietly on my machine for a year and it just died with no warning. It looks like my brand loyalty just died too.

5.0 out of 5 stars No compromises, November 3, 2010
I am picky about my products, so it isn't often I find something that lives up to all my expectations. Well, this little drive did just that, so I did something I don't normally do - I got online to write a review.

The most important part to me is build quality, and the Rikiki feels very solid. I really didn't expect this - after all, how many laptops do you know of, metal ones included, that don't flex anywhere? The Rikiki feels like a block of metal, not like a plastic board wrapped in tin foil.

It also looks stunning. For once the product looked as good in real life as it does in the pictures. And it still looks stunning, half a year after I bought it. That's one good thing about metal and an anodized finish - it doesn't wear easily, and when it does it doesn't look bad.

Formatted capacity turned out to be 596GB ... a huge amount for the size.

Yes, the cord is very short. For its intended use that's a good thing - a long cord would severely detract from the portability as well as aesthetic. If you plan to keep this plugged into a desktop you're not even looking at the right type of product.

So, my rating is 100% in every category - a really amazing product. If there's one thing wrong with it it's the name ... Rikiki makes me think of a cartoon mouse, which really doesn't go with the style.

5.0 out of 5 stars LaCie drive, June 16, 2011
William C. Pugh "BillPugh" (Calaveras County, California) - See all my reviews
Amazing how much data fits into such a small space.
My iMac uses Apple's "Time Machine" to seamlessly backup ever hour.

Liked it so much I bought one for my Wife's iMac ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, July 9, 2011
Works great, little slow but looks amazing and easy to use. Backed up my entire computer and no problems so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big storage. Small size., August 16, 2010
I've had other portable drives with a fraction of the storage size and twice the size. Even other devices that I see in stores or used by others - with the same capacity - aren't as small. This is great for pack rats like me who have to haul around everything.