5.0 out of 5 stars How to format for Mac & be sure to check the prices.
For a rugged drive the prices are as good as the non-rugged drives. Unless you're using USB 3.0 you won't see much difference with the 7200rpm drive. Be sure to compare the prices and get the biggest drive you can afford.

If you're a Mac user setting this hard drive up with your computer is super easy follow these steps.

1. Plug in the hard...
Published 13 months ago by Chuck Bittner

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst experience ever!
Published on August 24, 2012 by Dane

5.0 out of 5 stars How to format for Mac & be sure to check the prices., October 29, 2013

1. Plug in the hard drive
2. Open up disk utility found in your applications folder inside the utilities folder
3. Next select the newly plugged in a hard drive and on the right-hand side you should see partition click on that.
4. Then inside that screen on the partition layout drop-down choose how many partitions you'd like to set up. I generally go with one partition and just use folders to organize my files.
5. Then on the right-hand side you can name the partitions and select the format. If you want your hard drive to work with your Mac for doing Time Machine backups (which I highly recommend) choose Mac OS Extended. Sometimes it's good to make two partitions and one using "MS-DOS fat" if you might be transferring files to and from a Windows machine (I do this with my friends as many of them run Windows so I have a little partition for giving them video files and the like). The reason is Windows machines and Macs can read and write to the "MS-DOS fat" format but your files will need to be under 4 GB each as that's the maximum file size it can hold.
6. Then click apply and your Mac will create all the partitions you wanted and you're good to go.

Thanks for reading it is helpful please click the button thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst experience ever!, August 24, 2012
After having one fail on us within months of owning it, we couldn't fork up the $500 they quoted us over the phone to recover the data. So Lacie replaced it with a brand new hard drive since it was still covered under warranty. The same problem occurred in both drives where the port in the back of the hard drive had somehow come loose, which then makes it impossible for the usb cable to fully plug into the port. We were sure to be extremely careful this time around by removing the usb cable from the hard drive every time we were traveling with it to avoid any tension on the port and the tip of the usb cable. I made sure to gently plug the usb cable in the port the correct way every time. And yet, the port has somehow manage to come loose again. So we're left here with a dead drive and no photos from our week vacation in Colorado! This is the last time we ever purchase another Lacie product.

2.0 out of 5 stars USB 3 mini connection failed, October 28, 2012
In February 2012, I purchased a Lacie rugged mini 1TB USB 3 external hard drive on Lacie's reputation for quality. I used this drive normally and treated it with the normal care for external hard drives (e.g., no jarring or removing the cable without waiting for the drive to properly shut down). Good quality and worked great. In September of 2012, the USB 3 mini connector on the drive became inconsistent. I would have to adjust or wiggle the cable connection on the drive in order for the drive to turn on. Naturally, this makes the problem worse and now the drive doesn't respond at all. I contacted Lacie for warranty work, and they agreed to repair the drive. Part of the normal repair process is a complete format or they may send you a different, refurbished drive. Needless to say, after 8 months of use, 100% data loss.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful, March 19, 2013
Edward John Gross (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
I've used LaCie drives for decades. But this small drive has Cable faults. Instead of being rugged as advertised it's as fragil as egg shells.. I"m still using it but I am very careful attaching the cable and feel I must use care not to keep the cable on when not in use.
So if yřu are like me and expect stuff to work in tough conditions and hold up for years, this is not as advertised.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another USB Port Failure, August 13, 2013
Having had a good experience with LaCie drives in the past, we purchased two of these for backup drives for my wife's computer. We've had the same problem other people have: the USB 3.0 connection in back fails, and the drive won't spin up. This has happened to both drives.

As one of the drives contained the only remaining functional system image of her laptop, I broke the raw drive out of its container. The drive itself is fine, and I was able to get it running using the removable USB3.0 to SATA connector from a Seagate STBU1000100 portable drive plugged directly into the LaCie disk. (If you have a dead LaCie drive and don't mind voiding the warranty, this seems to be a good way to get your data back.)

Now we have an out-of-warranty drive of unusual height (12mm rather than the 9mm most 2.5" SATA drives have). I'm debating whether or not to get an external enclosure for it. I certainly don't trust the LaCie enclosures. I'm also debating whether or not it's worth doing the same for the other broken LaCie.

Avoid this drive. If you need a portable drive, the Seagate STBU1000100 1.0 TB is cheap, reliable, and the removable USB 3.0 interface makes for a handy bare-drive connector.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good. Solid drive, good speed., June 15, 2012
This review is from: LaCie Rugged 500 GB USB 3.0 7200 rpm Mini Disk Portable Hard Drive 301556 (Personal Computers)
The product is great.. a little heavy with the rubber, but it's totally protected. Pretty fast drive. I opted for the lesser gig version so that I could get the 7200 speed. Not sure how quick the 5400 is, but I just transfered 250 gigs, was fast enough for me, being the hefty amount of gig being transfered. For transferring stuff under 10 gigs, it's a very decent speed. It's working great so far, haven't tested it on the road, but I have faith, it feels very solid.

I have a macbook pro and on the set up of this drive they give an option to partition it so that you can read and write for both mac and pc. They only allow 33 gigs for this partition, but this is fine for what I need, and I like that that was an option. I was going to get a 3rd party app to read and write for both mac and pc for the whole drive but now I don't think I need to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice & portable, January 27, 2012
It's a great Item, easy to use no problem at all. I work in a Macbook and the speed of the LaCie rugged are fast even with port USB 3.0 cable (USB 2.0-compatible)

1.0 out of 5 stars connector loosened, January 6, 2014
Just like the others, the connection in the drive loosened. The mac geniuses said the drive was dead. I bought it in May 2013. If I hold the cable at an angle, I can get at the data. Since it's under warranty, I will send it back as soon as I get the rest of the data off the thing. I can't imagine how lacie still sells this product. I've had good luck with full size lacie drives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some speed/cable questions answered, June 26, 2013
The question I had about this series of drives is to compare the speeds between the various versions.
I've got one of these drives, older, and it has been very reliable, hence the 4 stars.
Transfer Rates/connector type determines which drive you want to buy. The least expensive version of the Rugged is about $80 less than the most expensive.

Here's what I found: [Hope this answers some questions. I don't know why this isn't available somewhere. And I apologize that it isn't better organized. Caveat: I might be wrong. At worst I think you'll save money. and thanks for any correction.]

New MacBook Pros are USB 3.0, my 2011 MacBookPro-is not USB 3, but it does have 1 Thunderbolt port.
All of these drives are backwards compatible. If I were to buy this drive I would either use it Fwire 800, USB 2.0. of Thunderbolt. FWire 400 is the slowest speed. (I've decided to not buy the Thunderbolt version, because I have only one Thunderbolt port, I would have to choose between drive or external monitor. I'll probably go with the 'Triple USB 3 and use Firewire 800. It should still be working when I next upgrade my laptop.)

From LaCie's site:
*$$$Thunderbolt Series 1 TB: 5400
Interface Transfer Rate : USB 3.0: 5Gb/s (!!!!)
Thunderbolt: 10Gb/s (!!!) Compatible with USB 2.0 (guessing at 480 mb/s )

*$$ Triple USB 3.0 version: USB 3.0 | USB 2.0 | FireWire 800 5400 500mb & 1TB
Interface Transfer Rate : USB 3.0: up to 5Gb/s (!!!!)
USB 2.0: up to 480Mb/s
FireWire 800: up to 800Mb/s
FireWire 400: up to 400Mb/s (cable sold separately) (Not even as fast as USB 2!!)

*$ USB 3.0 | USB 2.0 [Least expensive Drive] 5400/7200 different models.
Interface transfer rate: USB 3.0: up to 5Gb/s
USB 2.0: up to 480Mb/s

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective product. Return not excepted., March 11, 2013
I bought this hard-drive as a gift. I really do hate to say anything negative, but I was very bummed when my girlfriend opened it and it didn't work--no power to the device OR recognition of the hard-drive by ANY computer we tried (Mac or PC...and USB 2.0 or 3.0). I then bought a USB Y-Cable to see if that would help power it, but still no luck. Upon request from "AJ" to return the product (even though it was admittedly about a month later than the return policy accepts) I was denied a return immediately. I explained that the product was defective and that we never even had a chance to use it once, but apparently "AJ" either doesn't read their requests for returns and just denies them all immediately, or they just don't care enough about their customers for assistance with issues. Sorry, but I would not recommend this product or seller.