4.0 out of 5 stars nice
mostly used it for divs movies and works with me super fine after i upgraded it with the latest firmware.

all .avi files are working fine as well as AC3 codecs

and very easy to use
Published on May 30, 2007 by Khalid T. Alassousi

3.0 out of 5 stars Average sound quality & pathetic software
Other than this product, I had used MediaGate MG-25 and Modix HD-3510. I wasted lot of money for these players since I have lots of mp3 songs and good audio system (Onkyo receiver with Klipsch speakers) to listen to.

Published on June 23, 2005 by S Vani

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, May 30, 2007
This review is from: LaCie Silverscreen 40gb USB2.0 Multimedia Hard Drive (300939U) (Personal Computers)

all .avi files are working fine as well as AC3 codecs

and very easy to use

3.0 out of 5 stars Average sound quality & pathetic software, June 23, 2005
S Vani (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews

If you are reading this review, I guess you came here to get a gadget to play your mp3 songs on your audio system instead of listening on a portable mp3 player.

Modix is the 3.5" inch hard drive and needs a power supply to transfer files from computer. This means that I need to pull out the power supply from the back of my audio receiver everytime I need to transfer files and it has been very annoying. I was also not happy with it for the overall quality as such.

MediaGate MG-25 uses 2.5" inch hard drive (laptop models) and does not need a power supply while transferring files from computer. The software of this was slighly better than Lacie's - but it used jitter while playing songs. Randomly, song used to pause and I just returned the instrument to the seller for a return with 15% restocking fee. The software download page from manufacturer does not give any details on the bug fixes and there is no support email as well.

Lacie Silverscreen has an average sound quality (MG-25 had better reproduction). The same mp3 song plays much better if I burn on a CD and play in my Sony DVD player, with the same setup of receiver & speakers. But Lacie did not give me any problems till now as I had with MG-25 (using for 3 weeks). But the software is kind of annoying, as after all the songs in a directory are played - it doesn't continue with the next directory. It just stops after the album is completed. I then moved all the *.mp3 songs into a single folder, but upon clicking the directory - it takes about 3 minutes to display the files. It works, but extremely slow.

Lacie's remote is very difficult to use, and buttons are extremely hard. I use my Kameleon universal remote instead and it works. If you have lot of mp3 files, forget about the ability to select a particular album and have it played. The scroll-down button cannot be kept pressed to scroll down continously, instead the button needs to be pressed one at a time. I used this player only for random playback.

I am not happy with the software - it just sucks, but living with this instrument because there is no other choice in the market.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pobre desempeño, September 10, 2008
Este producto promete mucho, pero la verdad cuando maneja muchos archivos se vuelve muy lento inclusive parece que se ha trabado. No lo recomiendo.