Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on March 27, 2012
While this key seems like a great product, it is really a piece of junk! After only 3 months, it stopped mounting on any computers. LaCie was good about swopping it out with a replacement, but that item has also failed after 3 months! These items are defective, and for some reason LaCie is still shipping/selling them. Don't buy, no matter how cool an item you think it is. It is not cool to lose up to 16 gb of data every three months without warning.
on January 9, 2011
I had the 1st generation of the LaCie iamakey for a couple years, but it unfortunately stopped working for whatever reason. However, I liked the original so much that I decided to stick with the product family and get this newer "v2" model to replace the original. LaCie is also a well established company so I am confident in their product quality - I wouldn't be surprised if it was my fault the first one broke rather than it being defective.

The first thing that drew me to the LaCie iamakey was the great design. It's small, attractive and functional. I hate carrying a lot of stuff in my pockets and adding this to my keychain added almost no additional bulk. I've used other USB drives and they are often times too thick, resulting in me ending up removing them from my keychain. With this, I can always have it with me without adding much extra bulk. I love how portable it is.

The main way I use this is to store my Xbox 360 profile. This allows me to go to various friends houses and have my profile with me to play games I've purchased and ensure my account gets credited for whatever achievements I may gain. Also, when first setting up the USB drive on the Xbox, the system reports that it meets the recommended requirements for USB storage. This means that you shouldn't see any significant lag or delays when the system is writing to the drive (and I haven't seen any performance issues - it's worked great).

Overall, this is a great USB drive. If you're looking for something that is portable and performs well, look no further.

11 MONTH UPDATE
I've now had this for about 11 months and it is still working well. I only use it maybe 2-3 times a week, so it hasn't been stressed as much as some other reviewers who have reported failed drives. I'm still happy with the drive and actually purchased another one about 6 months ago that is still going strong with light use.
on August 13, 2011
What a great idea and a convenient way to transfer large files! I was excited when I discovered this product, especially given LaCie's excellent reputation.

Unfortunately I soon discovered what many other reviewers have mentioned. The flimsy plastic plug protector disappeared within a few days, and the device stopped working in about six months. Customer support was shockingly bad. Until LaCie resolves these issues I cannot recommend this product.
on April 26, 2011
This design is great. I love the convenience factor. Unfortunately, after using it for about 3months. It suddenly stopped working.
on April 1, 2011
On the whole I am NOT satisfied with the key flash drive. For the cost
of the key, in my opinion, it has a major design flaw, an open tip connector.
For about $50.00 for a 16 Gig key, I would like to have a much better design.

The USB Gold connectors are fully open without any type of slide to protect the connector.
To be fair, the tech specs do say, "its connector (Gold SIP) is both water- and scratch-resistant."

The unit does come with a dinky clear plastic cap that fits over the end and barely stays on. I lost my cap
within the first day by doing nothing more that taking my keys in and out of my coat pocket.

I am not at sure about the wisdom of an open connector being banged around day end and
day out amid other metal keys on a key chain, being tossed in purses, thrown on table tops or
accidentally dropped in water, snow and ice not to mention the static electricity inherent in
cars and jackets during the winter.

Time will tell. LaCie iamakey v2 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive 131106
on April 5, 2012
the product work for few months total and then stopped working completely, my advise is to get a flash drive that is not exposed but protected in a casing.
on April 12, 2011
Even though several reviews warned me that this product sucked, I still decided to give it a try, because the design was so awesome. Unfortunately, the reviews were right, mine stopped working in 2 weeks. Do not buy.
on March 16, 2011
I love the concept behind this product. I have had it on my key chain for months with no damage to the gold connectors. I only use it for emergencies since the up and down is slower than my other drives. The larges drawback is the connection made to the USB port. It loses connection all the time in the middle of file transfers. I find applying a slight downward pressure to the drive while transferring helps. I work in IT and this thing has saved me many trips to my office since I never leave my keys. I would buy it again despite the inherent design flaw.
on May 21, 2011
[Summary]
This flash drive is quality item. It's beautifully designed, and feels like it will never break. In terms of functionality, it has a great transfer speed (I got 10MB/s write speed). If you are in search of a flash drive, and have money to spare, I recommend this product.

[Opening/Setup]
The flash drive came in a clamshell, but because it is so thin, I was able to simply slide it out of the packaging, after cutting a small gap. It also comes with a small transparent plastic cap to protect the device. The device was quickly recognized on both Windows and Mac machines, and works without a flaw.

[Experience]
As I previously stated, this is a premium product. The stainless steel feels great in your hands. Every time I lend it to someone, they comment about how nice it is. Despite the unique design of the plug (which I had some doubts about), it is very easy to connect to a computer.

There are a couple details to take note of. First, the plastic cap that came with the flash drive is practically useless. It is very hard to put it on the flash drive, and after doing so a few times, it cracked. I've since thrown it away, and the flash drive functions fine without it.

On USB ports that are close together, the handle/head of the key blocks access to adjacent ports. However, this is not so much of a flaw as a design. There would be no way to solve this problem, without changing the key-like shape of the flash drive. As such, this is nothing more than something to keep in mind.

That being said, I keep this flash drive on my key ring at all times. When I need a flash drive, it is always there for me. When not in use, it blends in like a normal key. The durability and usability make this a versatile product. I never leave my house without my keys, and as a result, never leave my house without this flash drive.

Pros:
[+] Unique design and appearance
[+] Very durable (stainless steel, gold plating)
[+] Good transfer speeds
[+] Fits in with other keys
Cons:
[-] Bad cap
[=] Blocks access to adjacent ports

[Notes]
- The preloaded encryption software can be removed if you view hidden files
- I recommend TrueCrypt over the preloaded software for encryption
on June 25, 2011
LaCie iamakey v2 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive 131105
The design is great (Looks Wise) as it blends in well on a key ring but functionally, the protrusion on the keyring side actually prevents the adjacent USB port from being used.

The plastic cover at the tip was loose right from the time the package was opened went missing after a while. This raises some questions about the safety of the contacts as they are directly in constant abrasive contact with the other keys on the key ring.

I have written a couple of times to LaCie but NO RESPONSE at all.