Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on June 2, 2014
I'll start by saying, running the wires, and connecting the cameras was the easiest part. It took two of us, approx. 1 1/2-2 hrs. total, to run the wires through the attic, and to install the 4 cameras inside and outside the house, hook up the cameras to the DVR, a TV monitor, and ensure everything was working correctly.
The next step was a bit more difficult. That involved connecting the system to my router, and getting connected on-line. After several attempts, I contacted LaView Customer Service. Jesus first started out by walking me through the steps involved. When the connection still couldn't be made, he took control of my computer remotely, made the adjustments necessary, and was successful in getting everything up and running. The result was, I could now monitor my security cameras remotely from my smart phone and computer, just as I could from home. I am very satisfied with that part of the system.

The part I've yet to be able to overcome, is the night camera issue I continue to experience. Customer Service at LaView confirmed by viewing my cameras at night, they are not operating as they should. They offered to exchange my cameras for a new set of 4 cameras, at no charge to me, because they stated my cameras seem to have a common problem, which some cameras from their vendor have had, involving the night vision lights, which don't adequately illuminate the area being monitored by the cameras. I have yet to receive these cameras. Subsequent attempts to contact LaView Customer Service regarding this issue, have only resulted in an e-mail, which informed me, they would send out new cameras, after I packaged the old cameras, and returned them, at my expense, to them. This was not outlined to me, when they admitted these cameras were defective, and would be replaced, at no additional cost to me.
This is also unacceptable to me, because it would leave me unprotected by security cameras, during the time I disconnect them, and send them back, and (hopefully) receive the new ones, as well as incurring additional expense to me, for improperly working cameras, which admittedly have a manufacturer defect..
22 comments40 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2014
I ordered this unit after a lot of research and review reading. I could not be happier .works as described ,cameras exceed my expectations for a low cost system. a 500 gb hd included and installed. free shipping, what's not to like. if I learned one thing in reading customer reviews its this, read them with some cynism, its pretty obvious some people don't read the description or instructions. and some people expect a Cadillac for a Kia price.. this unit is a fantastic bargain. I have been using it for 2 weeks so far. only time will tell if it lasts. the only con so far is that the full instruction manual must be downloaded and must be read and UNDERSTOOD before operating as it comes only with the setup instructions and a disc. if it had come with a full printed manual I would given 5 stars. the set up is easy, the operation a bit more complicated, should not be a problem for anyone with some expertise.
44 comments66 of 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2014
You will no doubt find systems with better optics.... You will find systems with better night vision. But for the price of this system, I was MORE than satisfied. The cameras are crips and clear. The dvr can be a little tricky to navigate, but is a breeze once you get the hang of it. The 500 gb hard drive saves several days worth of non stop video, and the android app that allows you to view your cameras live at home is unbelievable. The system came with everything needed for a complete surveillance system, including the screws. This is by far the best bang for the buck you will recieve, and the system is completely upgradeable for more cameras and remote control (ptz) cameras. You will love this system.
0Comment33 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2014
Not really sure why my system does not seem to work like other reviewers state. Night vision is useless after 10 feet, outside, and no one would ever be able to make out a face. Motion detection only works within 9 or 10 inches of camera, outside, at night. Selling points state that IR goes to 50 ft. Mine will pick up a reflection in car light at that distance but no person would ever be seen. My spotlights pick up and turn on with movement at 45+ feet away, in the dark. This system will not. I have a hand held night vision scope that runs off a 9v battery that is 10 times better than this IR system. The motion detection is useless in the dark and IR will only show a face at 10 feet or less, any further than that and it is just a body moving, but if set to motion detect, higher setting, unless they wave their hand within 10 inches, it, the system, will never turn on. This was a gift so I will deal with it. I would never recommend to anyone to buy this product as mine does not do what the selling points state that it will.
11 comment31 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 10, 2014
Buying Surveillance Cameras are one of the worse things you can buy and have to send back for a refund. I connected all the cameras and got the system to work with my router going through all the steps. I did it on my own. I then had it installed professionally. I downloaded the app and it worked for less than 5 minutes. That was it. I had to get the phone number on Facebook from LaView. It's been over 2 weeks and I still haven't been able to reach a human being in tech support yet.It's so frustrating that I want to scream. The cameras are useless to me if I can't remotely view them on my cel phone or tablet when I'm away. I have an 8 camera Zmodo and when I had issues, I had to wait on hold for an hour but they at least they answered and walked me though the installation process and got my mobile app working. The camera work fine with the exception of 1 that has a fuzzy screen the other 3 screens are fine. I hope it's recording like it should but honestly I can't understand what is going on. Save your money.

Update: 11/20/2014.

I spoke with tech support twice since the first review and both times we were able to get the remote view app working while we were on the phone by basically starting over from the beginning. We used the LaView Live App for the Samsung Galaxy S5 Android. As soon as we hung up and attempted to use the remote view, is says; server unavailable. We set it up for home dvr and remote dvr. I haven't been able to pull up the cameras while away from home as of yet. Which it the reason I purchased the cameras. I don't really care to look at a monitor at home. Heck I'm at home and I have another 8 cameras for that from Zmodo. There app works fine btw.

I got so mad I asked for a refund and actually printed a return label. Then it dawned on me that I can't pull all the wiring and get all the cameras down. I also paid to have the system installed and I'd lose all that money, so I cancelled the refund. I am hoping that the cable and alarm companies aren't the only ones capable of setting up cameras and making them work on your tablets, pc's and cel phones. I'm not blaming none of this on my installers because they did a hell of job hiding the wires and getting the system up and running at home. Even they would have had to call tech support, so I can save money and do that myself. I'm not sure what to recommend other than an installer that has his/her own system who provides support and a warranty.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Keith,

We would like to apologize for the frustration you have experienced.
Our technical support team are definitely there to help customers like you and many other who may need professional help on setting up their system.
They are able to help view footage, to record, to set up remote view, etc.

Our records indicate that you did call, however, we have not been successfully able to call back and reach you.
We would encourage you to reach out to technical support once more. Our contact information may be found on our website, www.laviewusa.com.
We look forward to hearing from you soon and hope to help solve any issues you may have.

Best Regards,
LaView Customer Care
on June 9, 2014
I'm leaving three stars only because I had two defective cameras in my box. I solely purchased this because of the great prior reviews along with the great price. HOWEVER, I've been having some issues with my UPS delivery people as of late since I reported a misdelivery and damage as a result of a misdelivery. I mention such because having worked at FedEx years ago, you don't want to upset your delivery drivers.... so bottom line, who knows how the package was treated.

Amazon was INCREDIBLY gracious and most importantly, FAIR in how we did business on this and getting replacements out here. I thank Amazon for coming through this time and actually taking the step forward to "make it right".

On the product functionality. Great daytime picture, very easy setup, very intuitive, but the night time picture quality is harder to see. Don't place anything too close to the camera at night, or it will solely focus on that object and drown out the rest of the background.
11 comment15 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2014
This system is easy to install and easy to program to phone or computer. I have order a second unit for my office.
on June 2, 2014
Was a little hard to set up with a little help its up and running thank you would buy from again
on April 8, 2014
I am very pleased with this system. I am a caregiver for my wife who has alzheimer. Placed 3 cameras throughout the house, now when gone for a while, I can access system remotely, to make sure she is ok. Tech support very easily, walked me through setting up remote access through my smartphone. Very reasonably priced. Very pleased.
on March 17, 2015
System is very good. I have not figured out the remote viewing thing, but that is just me. Overall the system is great.
Some reviews said night vision was not good, I can see almost a block away at night.