4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Comfortable

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, with limited functions
Published on April 17, 2004 by chaostheorem

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, with limited functions, April 17, 2004
chaostheorem (NORA Satellite) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Labtec Axis 712 Digital USB Noise Cancelling Computer Stereo Headset (Personal Computers)
The Labtec Axis 712 is a little high for the price point I purchased it at ($19.95). The headset is light, easy to adjust, and recognized immediately when plugged into a compatible OS (such as Windows XP). The microphone can be swiveled from front to back, so it can be worn on either side of the head. The volume control worked well but I'm not so sure about the mute function (which didn't seem to work). The cables are long enough to give you comfortable mobility within a limited range.
This headset does NOT appear to be PlayStation 2 compatible (didn't work on Lifeline for example, and did not receive power from the PS2, probably because the PS2 doesn't have Labtec driver compatibility). However it works fine with PC.
Finally, the sound doesn't seem centered, and the sound is also sometimes hollow (not rich) but for the price tag there isn't much to expect. You're better off finding higher end headsets if you need good sound and mic capability for your games or team chats. Also, the Labtec website is useless, so don't bother trying to find support for this product on their website.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Comfortable, March 24, 2003
I've had this set for about 2 weeks now. Sound is nice, crisp and clear, audio through the mic is excellent - no background noise at all when talking. Game squad members have asked numerous times why do I sound so good using our TeamSpeak program, loud and cristal clear without a hint of distortion or background noise. Highly recommend for anyone into voice chat, team gaming, etc.
My only complaint is that it completely blocks out your normal speakers, you have to go into your sound control and switch to your main speakers when not using the headphones, a real pain in a** as I don't always want to use the headphones.
I've also started experiencing intermitent sound cutout in the right speaker, have to wiggle the cord to get the sound back in that earpiece. Shouldn't be a problem getting this warrantied and definately does not change my opinion of this product, just got a bad connection, it can happen to the best of companies.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, May 12, 2003
By A Customer
The microphone broke after a week. Their tech support is horrible and haven't answered any of my e-mails.
I recommend the plantronics dsp-500.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good headset for the price, May 25, 2003
Comfortable, works great on Mac OS X. Ear pieces fold in or out for comfort, mic folds up out of the way, headband adjusts for a wide range of head sizes, generous length of cable. Only glitch: sound level appears not to be adjustable at the headset, in spite of the controls on the inline box for muting and volume up/down. Assume that's a Windows feature (?)

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Product Horrible Customer Service, October 13, 2003
By A Customer
The headset worked fine for about 45 days then the microphone failed completely. The company does not even list this as a current product even though it is still being sold in a number of places. Website is terrible. They do not answer e-mail. You have to jump through a number of hoops and sit on hold forever just to get to someome who will let you send this back to them at your expense. Labtec will never see my money again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable, and good for its sales price, April 11, 2004
Franz S. (Guadalajara, Jalisco Mexico) - See all my reviews
Well: I didn't experience so terrible product functionality issues as unfortunately other reviewers did. I've been using this headset for a year with good results. Not any system crash, the headset is working properly since I ever installed. I use this product mainly for voice-chat applications, and works fine.
What I'd like this product could be featuring is a little bit longer mic extension.
Of course this is not an "state-of-the-art" gadget, but if you're looking for a headset to use on voice-chat applications, I recommended it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Static Sound with Limited Functionality, February 3, 2004
Timm G. (California, CA USA) - See all my reviews
My set has static constantly in the background. The microphone sounds nice when I record, but fails to function when I use Teamspeak2, the reason I bought it. I'm using Windows XP and my buttons do little but operate the LED's. If I had read some reviews I would have steered clear. The idea was good but Labtec did not follow through.

2.0 out of 5 stars It only works with Win/Xp, June 29, 2002
By A Customer
I tried it with Win/2000 and Win/98 and it recorded static or noise. Labtec support does not answer my emails.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly decent, December 14, 2007
I have tried many other headsets and this one faired out to sound the best and made me sound the best. After 4+ hours, your ears tend to get sore, but hell... Get off the computer! Used it for online gaming for a few years until I ran over the wires one too many times where the sound only came out of one side...
With today's technology, you can probably get more for your buck than these, but still a good buy!

1.0 out of 5 stars looks can be decieving, July 4, 2004
Hobbie (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
worked great for about 2 months then the sound got all distorted making it worthless. Do not buy, it is a waste of your money