4.0 out of 5 stars Nice patterns, some are familiar...
Published 14 months ago by DeborahDarling

3.0 out of 5 stars I feel like I am being marketed to with this book.
Published 14 months ago by Alouette1

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice patterns, some are familiar..., September 30, 2013
This review is from: Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace (Paperback)
Being a fairly prolific knitter, and a collector of lace patterns I sometimes find that "new" pattern books either contain patterns that I already own, are so similar to ones I already have that they are almost indistinguishable, or are sometimes available free from the yarn company. And this is true of Lace One-Skein Wonders. Having said that, here is what I like about this book:
1) Having all these patterns in one easy accessible place is great. I can grab this one book and head to the yarn store.
2) Lace One Skein Wonders will solve several of my "left over" stash dilemmas. One skein of "this or that" lace weight yarn rarely gets you anywhere. I've already spotted several designs that use yarn already hanging out in my stash.
3) This book has nice sections of cowls and home accessories in lace designs - which are less well covered in my other lace knitting pattern books.

If you enjoyed the previous One Skein Wonders books, this one will fit right in. If you are new to lace knitting, this book is a very good choice. There are simple beginner patterns, and more intriguing complex patterns. But whatever you choose, you'll only be investing in one skein. That can mean $$ if you are using alpaca, silk or cashmere.

All in all, this is a keeper, and I'll be making a dozen or more designs from this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars I feel like I am being marketed to with this book., October 13, 2013
I have been knitting for four years and I have more than enough yarn to last me a lifetime. The patterns are easy and fun, but when the author doesn't list the weight (lace, fingering, sport, DK, worsted, and chunky) I feel like me having to go look up the specific yarn is a chance for the designers to "make" me shop, instead of stash diving. I take some of my knitting with me to a remote cabin where I have some stash, and no internet access.

I like the patterns, but I have quite a few patterns and respective books, too. These are not stand-out, unique patterns.

I still have the book and I went through and wrote in the yarn weights needes, but in the future, I won't be buying books unless they list the yarn weight in the pattern specs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of projects-something for everyone, September 8, 2013
3.5 stars
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. There are some things that are done very well and a couple of things I wish had been done dfferently. Let's start with the good:
-there are a lot of projects in this book--98 knitting and 3 crochet
-there is a huge variety in the lace projects, everything from the expected shawls and scarves, to projects for the home, baby projects, socks...really something for everyone
-the projects are worked in different weight yarns, not just lace/fingering weight
-projects contain both charts and written instructions were applicable
-projects have helpful "pattern notes".

Things I thought could be improved:
-baby items mostly come in just one size
-most of the baby clothes shown on a hanger, not on a baby
-pictures throughout the book aren't clear enough to fully see projects and often only have one picture per project
-no schematic of projects.

I would say that this book is suitable for the brave advanced beginner. It would be a good introduction to any knitter ready to learn lace. And with so many projects, there really is something for everyone.

*ARC courtesy of Storey Publishing, provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!*

5.0 out of 5 stars 101 Lace Projects by Different Designers - A Stash Buster and Wonderful in its Own Right, September 4, 2013
This book is a joy. It is filled with 101 lace projects by different designers. There are hats, socks, kid knits, mitts and gloves, baby wear, scarves, cowls, shawls, stoles, accessories, and things for the home.

In the hat section, I love the Etta Hat designed by Kim Whelan. It is knit with a worsted weight yarn in a lovely purple hue. It is perfect for the beginning lace knitter. The Very Pretty Lace Beret, designed by Vera Sanon, is a more difficult project. However, is is written in text as well as charted. I don't like charts and prefer text so this is good news for me. The beret is in an ivory colorway and uses size 3 needles. The Alexandra Hat is knit in a lovely orange and designed by Jillian Moreno. It utiulizes Madeline Tosh superwash merino wool in a lovely orange color. The Tilting Ladders Hat is beautiful and is designed by Sarah Jean Hood. It is knit in cashmere and in the blue spruce color way.

The Pine Needles Mittens, designed by Jenise Reid, are lovely but require that you be a more experienced knitter. The color is dark gray. The Damask Lace Gloves in a rose-colored hue are very nice. Designed by Yumiko Sakurai, they utilize Malabrigo lace yarn.

I love the Tribute Socks designed by Brenda Patipa. They are an ivory color and are an adaptation of the Frost Flowers Lace pattern found in Barbara Walker's Treasure of Knitting Patterns. The Vesta Socks, designed by Rebecca Mercier, look perfect for lounging. They are a lovely blue and and incorporate cabled stitches.

In the kids and toddler sections there are several wonderful patterns. I particularly like the Coral Reef Hat designed by Tonia Barry. The yarn has a variegated color and the hat is bright and whimsical. The Sea Mist Baby Hat, designed by Terry Collard, is in a misty green and has instructions for three sizes. The Bunny Check Baby Hat is adorable, designed by Jill Wright. It is knit from the bottom up and has a pattern of lace eyelets. It is a lovely light green. The Kaya Baby Sweater, designed by Brenda Patipa, is knit back and forth on a circular needle. "Lace diamonds are strategically placed in this baby sweater, which is knit in one piece to the armholes, then divided for front and back. It is made to wear open at the front." Haru, designed by Cheryl Oberle, is just wonderful. Haru is a Japanese boy's name that means 'sunshine'. It is a bright green one button cardigan. The Welcome Home Baby Blanket is just the thing for a layette gift. Designed by Ellen Harvey, it is knit in an off-white in a traveling leaf pattern.

My favorite scarves are the Spring Leaves Scarf designed by Marin Melchior. It is variegated in color though mostly pink and seems appropriate for a beginning lace knitter. The Beaded Lace Scarf is breathtaking. It is inspired by Estonian lace designs patterns and designed by Christine Nissley. The Mezzaluna Scarf, designed by Marianne Hobart, is something I'd love to wear. It can be either a scarf or a shawlette. It, too, is variegated in color but is primarily a light green. The Symmetria Scarf, designed by Henna Markkanen, is something I'd love to knit. It is knit in two pieces, each starting from a scarf end. The two pieces are joined together using the Kitchener stitch. It is in a variegated colorway, primarily brown and deep orange/gold.

The Silver Lame Cowl, designed by Isumi Ouchi, is gorgeous and knit with mohair/silk in white. The size can be adjusted. The Jade Sapphire Cowl is knit from luxurious cashmere and should feel exquisite on anybody's neck. Designed by Lynn M. Wilson, it is knit is a lovely green and has three buttons on the front.

The Isobel Shawl combines lace, cables, and cluster stitches. It is knit in a light purple and designed by Rae Blackledge. The Grapevine Shawl, designed by Heather Broadhurst, is a more difficult shawl to knit but well worth the effort. "It features mirrored variations on the Ivy pattern from Barbara Walker's Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns, transitioning into the Traveling Vine pattern from A Treasure of Knitting Patterns. It is knit in a dark rose color. The Melifera Shawl, designed by Amanda Carrigan, knocked by socks off with its beauty. I'm not sure I'd be able to knit it with my skills but looking at it makes me want to improve my lace knitting abilities. It is a deep red and uses the openwork Honeybee pattern from Barbara Walker's Second Treasury of Knitting patterns. The Trellis Leaf Stole, designed by Judith Durant, isknit in a gray color way using Madelinetosh yarn. It is knit in a trellis Framed Leaf Pattern from Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting Patterns. I really like the Moss and Leaves Stole designed by Kerri Shank. It, too, utilizes Madelinetosh yarn and is knit in a variegated color scheme of browns and beiges. It also is beaded at the wide end.

The Iloise Bath Set, designed by Myna A. I. Stahman is delightful. Anyone would want to bathe with these lacy accessories. It requires one skein of linen for the three bath cloths in the pattern. The colorway is a lovely peach. The Firefly Table Mat, worked from the center out, is a lovely addition to any home. It is designed by Meg Myers in a dark purple hue.

The appendix provides information on all the designers who have contributed to this wonderful book as well as some good information about knitting that is useful for the projects. I highly recommend this book for the patterns it contains as well as a stash-buster. Anything that requires only one skein of yarn speaks to me as I have lots of lonely, single skeins left over from projects. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Productive antidote of ideas for leftover skeins,, November 19, 2013
Too many times, there is one skein left over from another project. This book as a productive antidote of ideas for using that left over skein. I have already used two of the ideas presented in the book; a lace scarf and a hat. Both turned out nicely. The directions are clear. My knitting skills have just gotten beyond the basics this past year. I understood and was able to follow and complete both patterns. I know I will returning to this book frequently to keep my one skein stash, happily, almost non-existent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best suited for the print version, April 2, 2014
One of those books not very suited for my 4 year old Kindle, as the photos come out in back and white in poor contrast. The lace charts are pale and rather small, probably in green. I gave it 3 stars because there are lots of lovely patterns for accessories but I would recommend to buy the printed version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun projects, April 17, 2014
I got the Kindle edition and love that I can take this along with all my "other reading" material without adding bulk. The patterns I've worked up are fun. Another happy purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will keep me busy for months, April 3, 2014
Susaninsunshine (Pensacola, FL. United States) - See all my reviews
I don't usually like these one-skein books because the patterns are usually too simple and mundane. This book, however, surprised me as the patterns are interesting, lacey, lovely. The photography is very good so you can see what the finished product is really supposed to look like. I haven't had the chance to use the patterns yet but they look complete to me. The book is divided into sections: From head to toe,Knits for kids, It's a wrap, Lacy accessories and For the home. The patterns are designed by a variety of designers so there is a variety of skills, ideas, yarns, stitches, techniques etc. In the back of the book are pages of instructions of the techniques in case you need review or instruction. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves knitting lace because it would keep you busy for months and months - 101 patterns in all. WOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all skill levels, March 8, 2014
I love the look of lace but find it intimidating. There are so many lace patterns to choose from that it can take you from nervous beginner to something even experienced knitters will enjoy. Plus, not having to carry around the book or photocopy a pattern because it's on your Kindle is marvelous. I'm now purchasing knitting books electronically and am very happy with the format!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another One Skein Wonders Hit, February 23, 2014
This series just gets better. I love Lace and it's one of the great categories of knitting that make knitting interesting, fun and, at times, challenging. this book lets the new knitter and the person who's been knitting for 50 years (my hand's raised) find patterns to keep them running to the yarn store for new yarn or invading the stash to get the needles going. Definitely glad it's on my knitting library shelves!

Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace
Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace by Judith Durant (Paperback - September 10, 2013)
$18.95 $12.97