4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Full-Length Debut from MGK
Published on October 13, 2012 by Michael Brent Faulkner, Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its alright:/
I thought it was going to be better, but sadly I was disappointed. But hopefully his second album will be better.. What I didn't like about this album is that its missing hardcore hip hop beats. The DMX and TECH N9NE songs were awesome, but the rest I felt like something was missing. I thought from the beginning it started off weak and didn't sound like hip hop, the...
Published 7 months ago by Miguel

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Full-Length Debut from MGK, October 13, 2012
This review is from: Lace Up [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
Newbie MGK releases his debut LP Lace Up [Deluxe Edition],via Bad Boy (distributed via Interscope). Machine Gun Kelly holds his own in a saturated crop of new rapper. Throughout Laced Up, the Cleveland MC's flow is both agile and wordy, characteristic of midwest rap. Lace Up, quite a solid album, features many guests including Bun B, former crunk star Lil Jon, Waka Flocka Flame and DMX amongst other. Production is handled by star producers as well, including Boi-1da, Drumma Boy, and Alex Da Kid.

"Save Me" stars the album capably, featuring members of metal band Avenged Sevenfold. The production combines hip-hop and rock sensibility, attuned well for MGK's pointed rhymes detailing his personal struggles to succeed. M. Shadow's (lead vocalist of Avenged Sevenfold) anthemic hook caps off a solid opener. "What I Do" featuring Bun B and Dubo, sports a sound clearly slated in the rap idiom. Dubo and MGK work in tandem to deliver an aggressive, street-savvy hook. Bun B delivers a strong first verse but MGK is by no means out-rapped as he delivers a compelling second.

"Wild Boy," produced by GB Hitz and Southside and featuring Waka Flocka Flame, remains MGK's staple from its party savvy hook to its club-banging production. MGK is as potent on the verses ("I'm an East side Cleveland wild boy...we got baseball bats like the Indian and my team pop off like cowboys...") while Flocka's second verse is loud, brash and utterly ludicrous. "Wild Boy" is one to be remembered. "Lace Up," produced by Drumma Boy and reintroducing Lil Jon, proves to be a sound title cut. Lil Jon handles the hook in his signature style (and with profanity) as well as receiving the third verse to himself. MGK remains on autopilot, no questions asked.

"Stereo" features Fitts of The Kick Drum. The production is refreshing, compromising rock/pop and hip hop. Fitts delivers a solid and memorable chorus: "So turn me on/you set me free/just look inside your speakers/and there you'll see me/so turn me on/you set me free/just look inside your speakers/and there you'll find me..." MGK keeps on going strong as an MC.

"All We Have" features Anna Yvette, who co-writes and performs the chorus. The cut is solid, though less notable than the `elite.' "See My Tears" a reprisal from MGK's Half Naked & Almost Famous EP stands out stronger here than its first incarnation. Produced by J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League and sampling electronic artist Armin Van Buuren ("Rain" featuring Cathy Burton on vocals), J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League add clapping snares and pummeling kicks while MGK `pours out his emotions.'

"D3MONS" finds MGK collaborating once more with DMX. "D3MONS" is `twisted' dealing with menacing demons; MGK alludes to substance abuse ("...My skin is bluish, voices in my head saying...") and confirms how the `demons' are getting to him. MGK and DMX cleverly split the verses, with MGK taking the first half of the first verse and DMX closing it out while the second verse is opposite. "D3MONS" is a personal favorite.

"Edge of Destruction" features Tech N9ne and Twista and is produced by Michael `Silent Mike' Brascom and Irvin `Swirv' Whitlow. Albeit solid, "Edge" is second tier at best. "Runnin'" half as long as "Edge of Destruction," but packs a more definitive punch. Planet VI sings the chorus with great smoothness and clarity. Boi-1da's production is `lightweight', but bodes well given that approach.

"Invincible" features and is co-written by Ester Dean. Produced by Alex Da Kid, the cut is well produced and Dean's vocals capable. Even with solid rhymes from MGK, "Invincible" is good, not necessarily `elite.' "On My Way," provides MGK with a reminiscent moment. The MC is honest about life experience, incorporating a spoken word interlude in between two rapped verses. The final verse is extremely compelling, where MGK strings a bunch of film titles into his life story: "Okay I heard they want the classics, my life's a movie like the Truman show w/o the cameras/they look at us like we a couple Boyz N Da Hood...I was Superbad in the class I just Dazed Off..." Clever.

"End of the Road" featuring blackbear ends the standard edition of the effort. Continuing MGK's testimony, "End Of The Road" is an sound closer without being revolutionary. The Deluxe version features "Half Naked & Almost Famous," "Hold On (Shut Up)" (featuring Young Jeezy, which is arguably the best bonus track), and "Warning Shot" (a reprisal as well, featuring Cassie).

Lace Up [Deluxe Edition] is another fine debut rap effort in 2012. There are no big missteps, making the album consistent from start to finish. MGK definitely gives the midwest rap market and his home city of Cleveland a lift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lace Up MGK ( The Voice ), October 9, 2012
This review is from: Lace Up [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
When I first heard MGK over a year ago, I fell in love with him at hello. In my opinion he is unique, even though people try to say he sounds like this rapper, and this rapper. I think he is his own artist. I will say I like his mixtape Lace Up more, than the album Lace Up, that's just my opinion. I like when MGK does songs by himself, more than when he has other people with him on songs. I do like that you get lyrics in the booklet. If you buy the best buy edition you get a t shirt which is really nice. In my opinion MGK is our generation. He's the current voice. I don't listen to much rap anymore, because it has become really repetitive. I think MGK stands his ground. I seen him on Warped Tour, and it was really amazing. You must see him live, he puts all his energy into the performance, to me it's more than a performance. I can tell this means everything to him. Please by this album don't download it. He really needs the support. He needs to sell records. He deserves it, because he is real. He connects with us the people, and we understand him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very surprised!, October 9, 2012
This review is from: Lace Up [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
So I must say I never paid much attention to MGK. I watched a few interviews here and there and just thought he was a spaz. Well I happen to collect Bad Boy Records albums so I decided to give him a fair chance. Going in I was convinced I was going to think it was corny and lame. WELL I WAS WRONG! This dude actually is very skilled and put himself together a DOPE album! I'm very happy that I gave this album a shot and I think any hip hop fan should. He is not what I thought at all and if anyone pops this album in and listens to it will be proven that he is a good artist. GREAT ALBUM! VERY SURPRISED! GET IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, November 2, 2012
This review is from: Lace Up (MP3 Music)
Wow
This cd is absoloutely epic. It Has a little taste of everything. Buy it now you wont regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, November 2, 2012
This album is awesome. The "press play" value is utterly outstanding. MGK sounds very hungry. He is representing the mid-west very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome debut album, stayed true to his roots, October 30, 2012
This review is from: Lace Up [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
This is an awesome debut from MGK, and even hardcore MGK fans will agree with this. I'll admit, I just got into MGK recently, but my brother showed me some of his more underground stuff that hardcore MGK fans love and I thought to myself, there's no way he sticks with that style on a major record label. I totally expected MGK to sort of "sell out" a bit, to make more radio hits than anything else. Boy was I wrong, this CD is full of sick tracks that you can consider your favorite depending on your mood. Trust me, get this album if you're an MGK fan. You won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT 1st album, October 24, 2012
GREAT 1st cd from MGK. From top to bottom the cd delivers. If you ever have the chance, check him out live. Puts on the best hip hop show by far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year!, November 10, 2012
This review is from: Lace Up (Audio CD)
Such a dope album, MGK goes hard and is constantly underrated. This is a great album and is worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars LACE UP!, July 12, 2013
This review is from: Lace Up [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
this disc was more than i expected. great music, and easy to listen to. The booklet is way more than comes with most CD's these days too. Photo's and lyrics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lace up!, March 5, 2013
This review is from: Lace Up [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
If you are a real MGK fan like me, you need to add this cd to your collection. Every song carry a strong message!

Lace up!

Lace Up [Deluxe Edition]
Lace Up [Deluxe Edition] by MGK (Audio CD - 2012)