5.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, living history.
Published on May 4, 2008 by Marti Dolata

2.0 out of 5 stars It works but it's a little heavy
This was my first drop spindle, it's not bad. The whorl is a bit too heavy for the shaft to support it along with a couple ounces of yarn, needless to say the shaft broke within 3 weeks. I've replaced the broken shaft and turned some of the extra bulk out of it on my lathe, it now works even better than before.
Published on May 12, 2007 by J. Perry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, living history., May 4, 2008
I agree with the previous reviewer that the spindle is heavy, but in my teaching experience (which includes over 20 years as a Rennie, 7 years as founder and director of the Local Yokels living history village and presently an owner of a Local Yarn shop) a heavy spindle is very useful to the learner to help them draft their roving fast enough. Who I particularly recommend this spindle to, is the living history buff, as Europeans used the bottom whirl spindle, and it is hard to find an inexpensive one nowadays without a lot of metal and woodburning which is historically incorrect. The current trend (from reading Spin-Off magazine, highly recommended) among hand spinners seems to be the top whirl spindle, and I sell several nice inexpensive ones from Ashford at my shop and have taught folks how to use them. But I'd been spinning bottom whirl and bottom bead spindles for 20 years before I tried the top whirl, so for my own hand spinning I use my old rosewood drop spindle my husband made for me, so call me an old fogey.
So while as an experienced spinner since 1979, I prefer a lighter drop spindle (especially since I tend to spin sport weight or lighter yarn), this is be best one I know for living history for the beginner.
I have had no complaints about the spindle breaking from any of my students or customers, and if it had been bought from me, I'd have replaced it free as a rare defective. I've met the US distributors, both at their shop when I lived near Berzerkly (sorry, little in joke dig from the south bay) and just last year at a trade show, and I'm sure that if you contacted them directly, they too would have replaced the defective spindle at no charge.

2.0 out of 5 stars It works but it's a little heavy, May 12, 2007
J. Perry (Pablo's Peep, USA) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars spindle hell, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Lacis Drop Spindle, Natural Wood (Misc.)
if i had known then what i know now, i would'nt have bought this spindle. I am a novice spinner, and this spindle is too heavy, too awkward, and does'nt have a hook. Apparently i need a hook, and right now, i need a tylenol.

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavy and clumsy, January 31, 2012
Geek Chick (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lacis Drop Spindle, Natural Wood (Misc.)
I bought this as my first spindle, so I'm not an experienced spinner. It could be that the issues I'm having with it wouldn't be as major for someone with a lot of prior spinning experience. I have two main issues: no hook at the top and a very heavy whorl. I know my way around knots, but given the shallow groove at the top of the spindle, my half-hitches just won't stay; the ply comes undone, sending the spindle to the floor and forcing me to re-wind. A hook, which many spindles have, would take care of this issue. Secondly, it's far too heavy. My fault for not doing more research: most non-retail spinning sites say a spindle should be between 1.5-2.5 oz. This one is 5 oz! I have to constantly keep flicking it, which makes it hard to move beyond the park & draft technique. Come to think of it, the weight of the whorl may be why my half-hitches won't stay.

Not worth the money unless you KNOW you need a heavy spindle. You'd be better off saving $5-10 additional dollars and buying a better spindle elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drop Spindle, September 14, 2010
This review is from: Lacis Drop Spindle, Natural Wood (Misc.)
My daughter loved the item - got her back to spinning, since she lost her first spinning. Will come to this seller again if she ever loses the two I bought!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy!, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Lacis Drop Spindle, Natural Wood (Misc.)
I'm not in love with this spindle so only four stars. I got it as a gift to my nieces and, even though I did see it's weight in the description, it still surprised me. It feels like a paperweight! A thinly spun wool thread will hold it (talk about a test of strength), but it may be a bit daunting if that's what my niece wants to spin. Still, for a beginner, it may be just fine. I remember what I spun first. I use the mitts I made from that single frequently. It was thick and would have spun up nicely on this spindle. I also remember the frustration of having to frequently restart the spin on my light top whorl spindle while I spun that yarn. That is why I have not only kept this spindle but ordered another so I could keep one and practice on it for the lesson my nieces may ask for after they open theirs.

It comes just like it's pictured and goes together very easily. The whorl slides onto the shaft and fits tightly. Of the two I ordered one fits together with the feel that I may be able to take it apart again to store it. The other is together for the life of the wood. I had to lean on the whorl to get it down far enough to be a bottom whorl. It has a nice finish and a deep grove at the tip for the yarn to grip. It spins for a long time on a thin thread and doesn't reverse. It also works well as a supported spindle, if you don't want to hang it as you spin. And if you're like me (I've mentioned thin yarn a couple times now), it may inspire you to spin thick again. That's the real reason behind my second purchase. I want to spin a nice thick woolen draw yarn and I think this spindle might just help me achieve that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, May 15, 2011
This review is from: Lacis Drop Spindle, Natural Wood (Misc.)
I recently purchased this spindle and two others that were hand made and more expensive. I'll give my praises to this drop spindle! It has a good feel to it, nicely made and the price is certainly right. Don't expect to spin fine lace weight yarn on it, but for other weights and for plying it's great.

3.0 out of 5 stars My First Spindle, May 5, 2011
This review is from: Lacis Drop Spindle, Natural Wood (Misc.)
I just spun my first homespun on this very spindle. The wood is smooth and very nice looking (I will try to upload a better photo when I can), and it worked fine once I figured it all out, but the whorl is much larger than any other I have seen - and particularly heavy, as others have mentioned. The weight hasn't bothered me terribly, as a beginner, but I did fight with the spindle occasionally dropping because the fiber wouldn't always stay secure using the little notch. I think that was probably mostly due to my inexperience, but I suspect the weight didn't help either. I am sure I will get used to it, but I can't help but wonder if I would have the same issue if I were using a spindle with a hook. That said, I will forever respect this spindle as my very first, but I'm anxious to try others too. Also of importance, when my spindle arrived, the shaft was not wide enough at the bottom to keep the whorl from falling off. I could literally slide the whorl all the way down the shaft and off. I fixed it using a small piece of tissue, but it did still slide just a little as I spun; I had to readjust it every once in a while. It looks like I may be the only one with this issue though. I would have contacted the manufacturer, but frankly, I was too anxious to start spinning! All in all, I thought it was not a bad spindle for a beginner. Maybe not great, but not bad either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Novice Spinner, September 5, 2013
This review is from: Lacis Drop Spindle, Natural Wood (Misc.)
This was the first spindle I purchased and I have been very pleased with it. I mostly selected it because it was about half the price of the spindles at the local weaving shop and here on Amazon. It was easy to assemble and has a very nice, smooth varnish on it.

The spindle has a cut notch that you have to loop the yarn around instead of a hook, but it hasn't really been a problem. This spindle is heavier than most of the other drop spindles I pined over at the weaving store, but where some commenters found this to be a liability, I find it to be an asset. I have used a lighter, top-whorl spindle and noticed that it bobbled a bit if it was spinning too fast. Not a problem with the heavier weight of this spindle, it spins very smoothly and seemed to rotate faster (the heavier weight probably accounts for this phenomena). I have been able to spin both heavier and lighter weight yarns on it (but I probably would use something lighter if I ever want to spin a lace or light-fingering weight yarn). Also, since this spindle is larger, it holds a lot more spun yarn before I have to start skeining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I needed., July 29, 2011
This review is from: Lacis Drop Spindle, Natural Wood (Misc.)
It didn't come with detailed instructions, which is fine, but when I went to take a spinning class the instructor said I should purchase a spindle with a metal hook at one end to make the process simpler. But it's very nice. If you can spin without the hook, go for it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›