Customer Discussions > 1984 (Signet Classics) forum

Lack of quality control in Kindle ebooks - 1984

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2010 11:09:13 AM PST
goatswood says:
The text of my Kindle copy of Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984) is double-spaced through-out, and I am finding this to be a ridiculous formatting mistake on the part of the publisher or Amazon.

I think it shows a lack of quality control and final editorial review of the intangible end product that we are buying for a somewhat hefty price.

This holds true for the copy on my Kindle DX and Kindle for PC.

If you download the sample copy, it is not afflicted with this double-space issue. And the sample copy has the simple cover (unexciting though it is) which is missing in the purchased copy.

Who can we talk to to get this corrected and get decent readable copies of these defective ebooks?

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 1:26:26 PM PDT
BS Detector says:
I concur. The double spacing, areas of font size changes, and lack of a table of contents are UNACCEPTABLE for the price.

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 12:07:44 AM PDT
complain to Amazon customer support, and maybe the publisher as well.
If the sample is so markedly different from the full version, it's quite possible it's a sample for a different edition, and that's not supposed to happen! Amazon definitely will want to hear about that so they can correct it.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 10:40:10 PM PDT
K. Wakefield says:
Did you contact customer service? Or just make a comment online? I'm sure they will try to help you get a corrected version if you let them know.

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 6:52:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2011 6:55:23 AM PST
"1984" is the first book I read on my new Kindle (wi-fi, 3rd/latest generation). I did not encounter any of the problems mentioned with my Kindle version of this book. It worked just fine for me. Maybe it's been fixed for the latest generation? I just downloaded my Kindle version a week ago (March 2011), and have had no problems.

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 3:15:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2011 3:16:37 PM PST
Matt says:
I noticed a few incorrectly spelled words -- or I should say spelled correctly, but the wrong word -- due to OCR. Also, the OCR occasionally picked up the page numbers from the source material and the numbers are "printed" inline with the text. I guess the original book must have been stuck in an OCR machine and there isn't much of a human quality control component in the conversion process. There were about 10 times I found these kinds of errors. I found this pretty annoying, and will be hesitant to buy another kindle book if I have an option to buy a physical version instead.

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 11:15:51 PM PDT
Someone says:
After reading a few kindle reviews with problems described I am wary of even purchasing another Kindle book; it seems that Quality Control is non-existing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
1984 With Connections: With Connections (Hrw Library)
1984 With Connections: With Connections (Hrw Library) by George Orwell (Hardcover - Dec. 2000)
4.2 out of 5 stars (8)