Lack of sound in video playback What am I doing wrong? I shoot video that has sound with it and then when I play it back on the camera, there is no sound. Am I missing something here? Please don't tell me the camera is defective! I formatted an 8 mg sdhc sandisk card to this camera so that shouldn't be it. Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks.
asked by MRK on June 2, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
votes
Having recently gotten a G11, I was perplexed by this problem as well, saw this post, hit the up arrow on video playback, and voila: sound at last.

Somehow I'd missed this instruction on page 33 of the manual: "press the [up arrow & down arrow of the wheel] to adjust the volume." Makes sense, though not so intuitive.

One point I'd offer: on my G11 it doesn't matter whether I have operational sounds (shutter, startup, etc.) on mute or at a low setting. Playback audio can still be heard provided one taps the up arrow button.

If a number of other people have had the same problem, Canon might want to add this instruction to the troubleshooting pages in the back of the manual.
SF-cineaste answered on September 6, 2010

A
vote
Hi MRK. Thanks for your update!
As I said, I checked that it was not on mute and still nothing. I actually tried what you said yesterday, but just in case I tried it again today and still no playback sound, no shutter sound... Nothing.
I can see the volume bars go up and down but I still hear (guess!): Nothing.
This is not my first PowerShot. I truly love them and, even though the playback sound is not perfect, is still does give an idea of how things are going.

Oh well, already contacted Amazon for an exchange.
Nice to hear your luck was different!
Enjoy!
SQI<<< answered on June 4, 2010

A
vote
I'm just curious if you've tried recording something on the video setting and playing it back on your computer to see if the sound comes out. The "speaker" or playback on the cameras are piss poor, not that they should be anything great, but it might be possible that you can't hear it on the camera but the sound pics up on video and you can hear it on playback. Hope that made some sense. I hope it works out for you.
MRK answered on December 19, 2010

A
vote
Actually, I figured it out. Make sure you're not on mute, record something with sound. When you play it back, you need to turn up the volume by pressing the up arrow (or top of the) on the circular button to the right of the screen. You will then see the volume go up and start to hear the sound from the playback. Trust me though...the sound quality isn't all that. It sounds better when you play it back on a computer, but not by much. I had to remind myself not to get discouraged because after all...it's not a video camera by design. Hope this helps!
MRK answered on June 4, 2010

A
votes
I know this isn't probably any consolation, but I just received my own Canon Powershot SD1300 IS and it has the same problem. While Googling for the solution I found this page and I thought I'd let you know you're not alone.
Geez. I honestly hope mine is not defective either. I've tried everything, but still no video playback sound, no shutter sound and no turning ON or OFF sound. However, the videos do have sound when I upload them on the computer.
I've checked the camera's setting and it is NOT on mute and sound is at a high level... So I'm supposed to be hearing something.

Anyone else can bring a light?!
SQI<<< answered on June 3, 2010

A
votes
I'm having the same problem with a new SD1300 IXUS105 camera -- no sound for anything (startup, shutter, movie playback), and I've confirmed MUTE is OFF and the volume settings for all the operations have been adjusted to the maximum. Has anyone discovered a solution to the problem other than exchange?
Jack Griffith answered on December 19, 2010

A
votes
The sound records on the videos OK and I can hear it when I upload them to my computer. But the camera itself makes no sounds whatsoever -- no video playback sound, no shutter sound, etc., despite what the camera settings are. It's almost as if its own speaker is not connected / broken.
Jack Griffith answered on December 20, 2010

A
votes
Thank you! My mom has this camera and has been visiting, taking pics and video of grand kids. The sound that used to be there for playback seemed to have disappeared. Thanks to your tip, we got the sound back and my mom is delighted! We had checked the volume and sound in settings, but you have to complete this step while the video is in playback. This is not mentioned anywhere in the instruction manual.
TLE answered on April 27, 2012

A
votes
Thank you so much for this post - I just recorded my daughters first Christmas concert and was about to cry. Hearing her sing - priceless.
Lisa T. answered on December 20, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›