[Book review I wrote for the hardcover edition of this book. See ISBN: 0312359543]

Published on October 3, 2008 by Jeff Lippincott

2.0 out of 5 stars Rediculous. and a bit sexist.
This book was not at all what I expected, and not at all what it is advertised to be! I am actually going to try and return it, it was such a waste of my $15.00.

Published on September 23, 2009 by J. Serrano

2.0 out of 5 stars Rediculous. and a bit sexist., September 23, 2009
This review is from: Ladies Who Launch: An Innovative Program That Will Help You Get Your Dreams Off the Ground (Paperback)

I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 bc maybe a reader that thinks perhaps her life is not being lived to the fullest, and she needs some goals or hobbies to be passionate about. Or maybe she just wants to lose weight or have more friends. In that case this book could give her a littler direction. But for anyone who has a serious dream that they want to turn into a reality-- and is looking for some real inspiration and good solid business advice, save your money. This book will be worthless to you. It actually tells you that if you don't want to make up a "traditional business plan"-- screw it! Ladies who launch is about "having fun"- it says, so you can just "learn as you go". What kind of wacky advice is that! So down the line, when you are facing obstacles in your Dream, your dream career that you have poured your blood sweat and tears into, obstacles that you never saw coming bc you didn't do enough research and decided you could just "learn as you go", when the money is running out and the banks are calling-- are you still going to be having fun then? Stupid.

I didn't understand all the quizzes. Slightly interesting, but how is that important to someone who is trying to turn their dream into a reality? Those results might be good research for the authors as they were writing the book, but not for the reader. I thought maybe it was just the first few chapters-- but the entire book is filled up with opinion surveys on how women/men in the corporate world and women who have "launched" feel! I know how I feel, I want to know how to DO what I want to DO! why do I care so much about what other entrepreneurs and wanna-bes FEEL for christs sake?

And lastly, I didn't like how they listed certain ways of being in your business as the "feminine" way. It came across as sort of sexist to me. Like the "feminine" way to do business is to be more social and make more connections, fine I guess. But to celebrate your 1st dollar with buying a pair of shoes? Yea, great advice. Don't reinvest your money-- go shopping, bc thats "fun"! La, la, la! We just made a sale- lets go to the MALL! Believe me, theres nothing wrong with a little shopping and taking the time to laugh and enjoy yourself as you go about your day, thats all well and good. But I don't think that 'not enough fun' is the reason 80% of new biz fail in the 1st 2 years, and 80% more fail in the next 2 years after that. What kind of advice are these authors giving? What would have happened if the Google guys ran out and spent their 1st dollar on a new tie, and then after that "threw a big party" as the book suggests.

Give me a break!

4.0 out of 5 stars A ra! ra! book for women who want to launch a social life, exercise program, or small business., October 3, 2008

The authors have co-founded an online networking and offline support system they call Women Who Launch. This book appears to be written to promote membership in their network and support system. I thought it was a well-written book and more motivational than substantive. It includes exercises, questionnaires and additional resource lists along with success stories of women who have bought into the program. I wasn't impressed with the companies these women started. I think the book is wonderful for women who want to "launch" a social life or diet program, but the advice provided here with regard to launching a small business is off the mark.

The book tells wanta-be entrepreneurs that there is a feminine approach to launching a business that involves merely reflecting on a woman's true passions, skills and desires. What that translates into is to forget learning about finance, market research, and writing a sound business plan. Instead, it suggests to just throw "something" together on a shoe string and if it works then worry later about dotting all your eyes and crossing all your tees. What the authors fail to tell the reader is that more likely than not the "something" is bound to fail because of lack of planning and preparation.

The book has 12 chapters as follows:

9. Step 2: Speak It
10. Step 3: Do It
11. Step 4: Celebrate It
12. Let's launch it together

I found it interesting that one of the tables included in the book indicated that women generally like to work for someone else (they are conservative), they are preoccupied with having healthcare coverage (for themselves), and they don't want to work all that hard at their jobs (some might say they are lazy). These are not the traits of someone who should be starting their own business. And for the authors to suggest that they should is an absurdity.

Ironically much of what this book says is what a wanta-be entrepreneur needs to hear and do. I think I can recommend it to wanta-be entrepreneurs who are willing to learn about finance, do the necessary market research, and write the 25-35 page sound business plan as well as steps 1-4 included at chapters 8-11. Otherwise - skip it. 4 stars!

3.0 out of 5 stars Book is Inspirational, July 15, 2008
The books was higly inspirational, when I looked into the groups, I felt like I was checking into tupperware or a pyramid project and that didn't feel as good. The ideas are wonderful and are not cheap. I wish them much luck and continued success with the project and helping to change women's lives. I don't however, have hundreds of dollars to join the groups to network... It was definitely a smart business for the authors and I am sure that they have created a highly lucrid business.

$16.99 $14.30