Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

Ladled: Nourishing Soups for All Seasons
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$23.17+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 24, 2013
An entire cookbook devoted to soups? In the case of Ladled, that's a good thing. This cookbook has me wanting to make soup for every meal, there are so many delicious sounding recipes with such diversity among them. Cream of Vegetable Soup, which is simple but so delicious, has already been repeated 3 times in my home and been gobbled up by children and adults alike.

Summers where I live are long and HOT, so for a good portion of the year hot soup simply isn't appetizing. Ladled has an entire chapter devoted to chilled soups! I can't wait to try Basil Tomato Chilled Soup with garden fresh tomatoes and basil. Sounds so refreshing!

This cookbook can almost pass for a coffee-table book, it is beautiful and interesting, full of useful information presented in an accessible way. One of the things I enjoy is the personal anecdote preceding each and every recipe. I received this book just before Christmas when I had a house full of guests, and at least 4-5 different people sat down with this cookbook and started reading it.

Some of the other features I like:
There is a Thumbnail recipe index at the beginning of the book. Each thumbnail has the soup's name, its photo and page number.

Clear step by step instructions for both the individual recipes and for more generalized preparations (making stock, soaking grains, etc...)

Lovely photographs for every recipe, which is very important for a visually inspired cook like me.

Each recipe has a thumbnail attached to the photo that is a quick reference for recipe details. You can tell at a glance, without reading through the recipe, whether it's gluten-free, dairy free, vegetarian, etc.

Some recipes call for obscure ingredients (stinging nettles) that you may not find in your supermarket, but overall, Ladled presents nourishing, frugal and doable recipes.
on January 19, 2013
I have to admit, I was a little skeptical at first. Not that I don't love a good soup, but I didn't know how useful or practical and ENTIRE cookbook devoted to them would be for me. I WAS WRONG!! Since receiving this book...I have been hard-pressed to put it down, and let me tell you why:

Beautiful to look at, easy to use. I love the picture table of content, a thumbnail image of each recipe! Makes for and convenient and atheistic way to peruse! It is divided into types of soups (hearty, with beans, with eggs, stocks, etc) so finding something you are looking for is exceedingly easy.

Conducive to almost all specialty diets out there! GAPS, Paleo, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, real food......you name it, you will find a lot on this book for you. Each recipe has a handy bubble below the image denoting it's special diet characteristics (grain-free, quick and easy, dairy free, etc). Everything has a dairy free option, and almost every single recipe in gluten free.

Stellar recipes. I have have made over 10 recipes in this book, and not a single one has disappointed. Some of the recipes have been repeated over 5 times already, as my kids are really digging all these soups too (I learned something new about them!). And many of them I can whip together with almost no effort OR time. Warm, comforting, flavorful goodness in under 20 minutes!

I adore this book, and would recommend it to anyone. It is useful, and helps teach people how to make delicious, gut healing broths and stocks for the base of all your soups. A great addition to my very selective cookbook collection!!
on February 4, 2013
This book is absolutely gorgeous! Stunning photography that will not fail to make you hungry. Filled with an amazing array of nourishing, healthy and delicious soups, stews and broths, this is one cookbook you will get years of use from. I highly recommend it! Kimberly's recipes are easy to follow and the information in the front of the book is gold. I especially love the pictorial table of contents and clear dietary tags that list if recipes are gluten-free, grain-free, GAPS-friendly, etc.
on February 7, 2013
I'm always on the lookout for recipes, particularly ones that are either GAPS friendly or easily changed to accommodate our dietary restrictions. This is one of the reasons why Ladled is such a great resource.

The way the book is laid out is excellent in my opinion. I love how each soup has a small picture associated with it - and, of course, a larger picture once you get to the recipe itself. The categories make sense, the instructions are easy to follow.

Ms. Harris starts off with the basics. If you are new to making your own stocks and stews, Ladled is an excellent resource. She gives you a list of things you should have in your kitchen as well as step by step instructions on how to make various types of broth - chicken, fish, beef, etc. This is a great help to someone who has never done such a thing before.

Simple broth isn't the only thing that Ms. Harris includes. There are quite a variety of soups and stews, everything from traditional to those inspired by various restaurants. Each dish is accompanied by a picture and a listing of several types of diets or meal plans the dish is appropriate for. Many of them are GAPS friendly and those that aren't I've been able to modify with good success.

While I can not say I have tried all of the recipes, I am working my way through the book. The Spanish Garlic Soup is quite good. My husband stated it wasn't bad for broth. For a man who actually hates drinking broth, that's quite high praise. I, myself, particularly like it and find it great for eating alone or using (without the egg) as a base for other chicken soups. It is the broth I chose to start my almost six month old on as we are now introducing food outside of breastmilk to him.

There is little I could say that could improve this book. There are a few minor editing issues that can be easily overlooked. There are a few ingredients that those who aren't used to experimenting may not be able to find easily. I might have included suggestions as to where to find such ingredients. Stinging nettle is one of them (I found it at a place called Roots Farmer's Market), but other than that, this is an extremely well put together, thought out, and attractive book. I am very glad I own it and have already bought one and given it as a gift to a friend who is a more traditional cook. If you are looking for a book that focuses on more traditional methods of cooking, particularly with soups and stews, I wholeheartedly recommend this book. It is currently one of only two that I keep in my kitchen and refer to often since I procured it.

Want to know more about Kimberly Harris, author of Ladled? Check out "The Nourishing Gourmet"
on January 20, 2013
Confession...I am particular about, and extensive (excessive?) in my cookbook and recipe collecting and research. While I was enthused about Kim Harris' project and comprehensive approach to healthy and thoughtful nutritional choices and options, I was surprised and pleased with the effective recipe details (foundational broths, stocks and soup bases, including water), inviting tone, variety of tastes and traditions, clear writing, garnishes, and tasty extras .

I have made many similar soups and have other sources that are not so disimilar, but I see this focused resource as quite a gem. Even the plainest of soups are a complete concept, and they deliver memorable flavor.

I made the Butternut Apple Soup today, and though many may think -as I once did- that "all winter squash soups is pretty much the same", you'd be operating under a misconception...and you will love this soup. Certainly, following Kim's advice means that your soup with be individual to you and your kitchen, based on the stock/soup base that you have.

I will say that the layout design, font size and photos are an odd combination, and not as appealing as it might have been. Perhaps this is a publisher choice, yet having the photos for each soup (each pair of pages) is helpful even though the photos seem out-of-scale.

It is attractive, and a pleasant to use.
on January 17, 2013
I fell in love with this cookbook the moment I opened it. The layout is so simple and easy to use, and the pictures are gorgeous, not to mention the quality of the recipes.
I have been a fan of Kimi's blog for several years and have never made a recipe of hers I didn't like. And I've tried a lot of her recipes! This book is no exception, and since soups are my very favorite food to make, I was ecstatic that she was writing a soup cookbook.
I love the in-depth explanations of how and why to do the cooking methods in a clear, understandable way. Even a beginner cook can crank out fabulous soups with this book.
on January 29, 2013
The layout of the book is awesome with beautiful pictures of each recipe. I love the fact the index has a picture which helps trying to decide what you want to make. I love how the recipes are organized in the book. A few soups may call for meatballs and she has the meatballs in a section to make it easy to find. I also love the fact she gives different ideas for broth - garlic, mushroom, etc. The recipes themselves are yummy and the instructions are extremely easy to follow. My kids love the meatballs and I've added them to so many dishes.

This cookbook is highly recommended!
on December 19, 2012
This cookbook is awesome! One of the best parts is that there is a picture for every recipe. It's so helpful to know what you're supposed to be aiming for! Even the index has little pictures with each soup listed. It's well laid out and has easy to follow instructions. Lots of great info about ingredients, etc without being overwhelming. Perfect for a gift!
on December 28, 2012
Can not express how exciting it was to get this cook book. the variety of soups from hot to cold is very impressive. There are recipes for classic soups for those days when you want something like Grandma use to make and then for those days that you want to try something different and creative there is plenty to choose from. The photos inside are so lovely! One thing that really stood out to me was the variety of different stock and broth recipes in addition to the many soup recipes, plus a few bonus recipes at the very end. I was able to give this cookbook as a gift and it was a huge hit! I'm thinking of having a soup and salad day pairing soups from this cook book with the author's other cook book on salads(Fresh: Nourishing Salads for All Seasons).

Last but not least the recipes are very tasty! If you are looking for a fresh look on soups this is the perfect cook book.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a wonderful collection of soup recipes I'm happy to add to my family menu planning. Not only can soups and stews be economical, but when homemade they are also very healthy without all the added salt and MSG found in canned and restaurant versions. This cookbook also makes soup unintimidating and easy to make, using ingredients readily found in local grocery and health food stores.

There is a chapter of recipes for basic broths and stocks that can be eaten plain or as a base for other soups. Other chapters include Simple Soups with Eggs, Soups With Noodles, Creamy Vegetable Soups, Soups Centered on Legumes and Grains, Hearty Soups and Stews, Seafood Soups, Chilled Soups, and Garnishes.

I especially enjoyed the beautiful photography throughout the cookbook, which for me serves as an inspiration to actually try the recipes. Another unique feature is that the recipe index includes thumbnail photos of each one, organized by chapter.

I've only tried a couple of recipes but plan on making many more. The Italian Zucchini and Sausage soup was great and I substituted turkey sausage for pork with good results. I also made a version of the French Lentil and Vegetable soup using the veggies I had on hand, also with good results. Many of the recipes lend themselves to substitutions which makes this cookbook all the more usable for a home cook.

This is a collection of recipes that will become staples in my family menu planning and one I recommend to anyone who loves the comfort and nourishment of homemade soups.

I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher but the opinion of it is my own and was not solicited, nor was a positive review required.