Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoor Deals on bgg

on July 22, 2008
The central premise of the elaborate heist that hold this film together is that, in Los Angeles, immigrants are as invisible to their employers as water is to fish. I can't tell you any more of the plot of this tightly scripted movie than that, lest I spoil your fun. Oh, I suppose I could mention that the good 'bad guys' triumph, though not as you might expect.

The most fun in this film is in the language, and I doubt I'd give it five stars if it were dubbed or if I needed English subtitles. I played the Spanish subtitles, for the benefit of my wife, and in the end I got benefitted also, since much of the dialogue is in dialects that even Spaniards couldn't follow. The heist team includes immigrants from Mexico, Cuba, Colombia, Honduras, Argentina, and perhaps other south-of-the-border lands, and they all toss off jokes and oaths in their own style. One funny moment in the middle of the film - very low key, mind you - involves the slang for 'money' in several dialects - lana, cero, plata, efectivo. There are a lot of such throwaway bits, enough to spice up the "Italian Job" structure, the perfect crime.

And there's a heart-warming message for those of us who regard the current immigration from Latin America - both legal and illegal - as another honorable chapter in the American Dream story.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 25, 2007
What a great movie! I had no idea what I was going to see--what I got was a totally entertaining burglary caper with bite. Two charming thieves reunite to rob the richest thief of them all--does this remind you of certain movies with 11, 12 and 13 after the names? But the target here has violated the "thieves code" and made a fortune by preying on his own people, selling bogus weight loss, baldness and cancer cures via infomercials to Hispanics in the US. Rather than rely on technical wizardry and professionals, the perpetrators here round up a group of immigrants to pull off the heist, and the resulting fumbling and bumbling are hysterical. On a more serious note, along the way we get a glimpse of life as it really is for newly-arrived Hispanics in the US. I didn't know these actors at all, but I understand they're well-known in Latin America and I loved them--the performances were great and one of the two leads is absolutely gorgeous. The subtitles didn't bother my usually foreign-film-hating husband a bit. I can't recommend this film highly enough--it's light, entertaining fun that leaves you thinking but feeling good. What more can one ask?
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 10, 2008
What fun! This is one of those flicks you'll walk away from with a big grin on your mug. LADRON QUE ROBA A LADRON (To Rob A Thief) is a 2007 indie, budgeted with not much money, and is in Spanish, but with English sub-titles. It stars a stellar cast of unknowns - unknowns, that is, if you only watch Hollywood pictures. Apparently, quite a few of these cats make their bones in Latin tele-novelas and most have never before done feature films. No worries, though; everyone holds their own. And the lead villain, Saul Lisazo, is outstanding!

So this is a heist film, and an excellent one. Character driven, even socially relevant, it's also pretty damn funny. LADRON... opens with a humorous sequence involving a television infomercial guru hawking his cheesy wares. LADRON...'s director is pretty much a newbie, yet, going by this gem of a sequence, you sense that you're in good hands. The plot centers on two Latin thieves, Alejandro and Emilio, who come to Los Angeles to pull off a heist, their mark being another thief, who happens to be that very same infomercial guru, Moctesuma 'Mocte' Valdez.

Valdez's infomercials, needless to say, are straight out scams. A big reason for Valdez being targeted is that he callously preys on his trusting fellow Latinos, immigrants to America. This really bugs Alejandro and Emilio. Valdez's products don't work and only the most gullible or desperate would even consider them. He sells various hand creams which can either make you lose weight or enlarge your member; there's a magic bracelet which cures arthritis; and, most reprehensibly, there's Agua de Dios (Water of God), which Valdez claims can cure cancer. Alejandro and Emilio have decided: dude must fall.

Suckering the Latino community has made Valdez millions. He keeps his cash loot in a vault in his opulent mansion, and guarded by a state-of-the-art security system and a team of bodyguards. To pull off the heist, Alejandro and Emilio are forced to hire on a bunch of immigrants. Twist is, these immigrants aren't professional grifters. They're day laborers, who must now pick up the tricks of the con. Their lack of expertise in this department tends to aggravate Emilio, a pro's pro. But, even more importantly, it presents the audience with plenty of chances to laugh.

LADRON QUE ROBA A LADRON is an independent venture, yeah, but it does flaunt a bit of a Hollywood feel. As such, this picture speaks to every audience, although it may speak just a tad louder to minorities. One theme presented is that minorities - in this instance, the Latino immigrants - are often rendered socially invisible. Because of their menial jobs (and, yup, their nationalities), they're able to access high-security venues, virtually unnoticed. The two rogues, Emilio and Alejandro, are actually counting on that. So, absolutely, the filmmakers manage to sneak in some social commentary. But they do it with humor, instead of a hammer. The end of the film is a particular middle finger to the Man (the Man, ironically, in this instance, being a Latino himself).

Like all noteworthy heist cinema, we're treated to a slew of nicely realized conventions in the genre. Again, budget considerations dictated that this film won't even come close to, say, the Ocean flicks in terms of glitz, complexity, or technical aspects. Still, what we get is more than adequate. The con is pretty straightforward, yeah, although there is one twist near the end which I didn't see coming. But there's enough audacity on display here, enough clever subterfuge, timely distractions, and reversals of fortunes.

I really think that LADRON QUE ROBA A LADRON is a classic in the making. Yes, it's in Spanish and sub-titled. Trust me, you'll be speedily caught up in the story; before you know it, you'll forget you're reading sub-titles. There are some good laughs and there are big laughs. One instance is the intro of Primitivo, the inhouse accountant; that bit had me giggling like a Frenchman. The good guys are very likable and interesting, with my favorite being Miguelito, the Cuban thespian, and Rafaela, the tomboyish girl mechanic. Ivonne Montero is Rafaela, and, apparently, she's more well known for playing sophisticated, sensuous women. But these women can't possibly be as engaging as Rafaela.

For those who're into special features, the ones here are okay. Several deleted scenes; the inevitable "Making Of" segment; and an audio commentary (in English) by the film's director and by the writer. This commentary generally makes for an interesting listen except for when the director goes off on his self-absorbed "trusting your director" tangents. I think that may be the only negative I can come up with about this dvd.

Go see this one (Man, this review has a weak finish).
on February 25, 2008
It is well directed, the casting is amazing! These are the best of the latin american telenovela and movie scene. Colunga is refreshing and a great actor! I highly recommend this movie to those of you who enjoy movies like "The Italian Job" and the Ocean's movies.
on June 8, 2008
Great movie! Perfect for Spanish teachers to use with Spanish 3 or higher.
The Spanish is clear, and with the Spanish subtitles, my students thoroughly enjoyed it. They said that it's the best Spanish language movie they have ever seen. It's a movie that I will enjoy watching over and over, sort of the same type of thing as "The Sting" from the 60's or 70's. A fun, action-filled and sometimes suspenseful movie, that gives you great satisfaction at the end.
on January 29, 2008
This is a very entertaining, hilarious comedy heist movie. It comes with the subtitles option, but I watched it without the english subtitles and could understand everything. A++; grandes aplausos to the cast and production team. Definitely a keeper for my movie collection. Oh, and a word of warning, don't eat milk duds while watching it. I actually was laughing so hard while watching that I about choked on one.
on August 15, 2013
I am a high school Spanish teacher and this is a great movie to show in the upper levels. If you have an Immigration unit, this is a great movie to start up discussions. It is well translated in the subtitles and has no iffy parts that you can't show to older teenagers. Very good buy.
on February 7, 2008
I wasn't expecting an over-the-top melodramatic farce, but once I realized that's what this was, I got into it. Just let yourself enjoy it!
on October 19, 2014
This is a light and fun movie. I didn’t buy it expecting Citizen Kane or Fuente Ovejuna, but I enjoyed it very much. “Como regla, no robamos a nuestra propria gente, pero este desgraciado lo merece.” That line from Emilio in the film tells you all you need to know. No gratuitous violence, no explicit sex and the language in Spanish is not too offensive. “Pendejo" and “cabron” on are the strongest words I remember. I haven’t looked at the English sub-titles, but I would show this to a high school Spanish class. The accents and slang from so many different countries is great. I almost fell off the sofa laughing when the Cuban actor character started in rapid fire Cubano. And when the tech expert character tells an English speaking security guard, “You’re in America, learn Spanish” was another great moment. Great fun.
on September 18, 2013
This is a cute and entertaining movie which can be watched by the whole family which is very rare today.