4.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up to Fancy Pants
Published on August 15, 2005 by Tracy Vest

2.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 stars, (SPOILERS!!)
It took me a while to decide what star rating I would give this book. Even detractors of Susan Elizabeth Phillips' books can admit that she is a great writer, and I am no exception. She has the distinction of being the only author that can make me laugh out loud, and create characters that I remember.

I enjoyed the interaction between Lady Emma and Kenny,...
Published on November 6, 2007 by Bronwyn

2.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 stars, (SPOILERS!!), November 6, 2007

I enjoyed the interaction between Lady Emma and Kenny, and I thought her managing/bossy ways was a good foil for his 'ambling' about his life. Neither of the forced marraiges posed a problem; SEP did an excellent job of portraying Hugh as a manipulative and domineering man pushing Emma into marraige. Since Emma allowed herself to be pushed into her first'engagement', I didn't bat an eyelash when she and Kenny got hitched in Vegas.

What made me rate the book so low was the ending, where Emma keeps on villianizing poor Kenny. I mean really, Emma. The real villian was Hugh; she did not show one ounce of backbone to him, yet she treated Kenny as if he was a bad man. As with all SEP books, she does not allow the protagonists to have a happy ending till the man has been emasculated in some large, public way. Now this can be needed, (actually I don't think so but that's another review...) but in this story I thought it was overkill. What made this even worse, was that Emma acted as if Kenny grovelling was necessary for them to be together. I am still not clear what he was supposed to be grovelling for. I agreed with Kenny's accusation to Emma that she didn't want to fight for them.

Now like a previous reviewer mentioned, SEP is starting to have too similar heroine- slightly dippy, insecure and a virgin, with no sense of confidence. Till they get with the too gorgeous rich playboy who falls for their dippiness. But then dippy heroine suddenly musters the spine she has been lacking all her dippy life to lash out at the hero. And then he has to do something Big. Like win a superbowl. Or throw away his career and reputation. Ya know simple things like that.

Maybe the heroines want to punish the hero for being so wealthy, good looking, charming and sexually experienced?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up to Fancy Pants, August 15, 2005
Tracy Vest (Northern California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Lady Emma wants to become "not so much a lady" so she won't be a viable candidate to be the next Duchess of Beddington. That means tight clothes, tattoos, piercings, and bedding down an available man to take that pesky (but apparently important to royalty) virginity she has been toting around. The Duke of Beddington owns the girl's academy where she is headmistress, and vows to close it if she refuses him.

On a trip to the US to research a book, she decides to drop her inhibitions with suspended sexy golf pro Kenny Traveler, who she mistakes for a tour guide/gigolo. Their discussions of what constitutes his job responsibilities are hysterical. And $30 for a night of passion with a superstar? He is a bargain! And very willing to find out what a "head mistress" does. When she tells Kenny she wants a pretty flower on her shoulder, but wakes up with the flag of Texas and a banner with the name KENNY emblazoned across it, she is a little frazzled, especially after finding out who he really is.

Kenny is attracted to Emma, but can't act on it since he is on suspension for bad boy activities. Soon, he throws caution to the wind as the two embark on an affair. When Emma thinks she is being followed, she does crazy things like flirt with the first available man or goes on interesting shopping sprees. Kenny's response to her late night drug store excursion is priceless.

This story is a follow up to Fancy Pants, which revolves around the relationship of Kenny's mentor Dallie and his reporter wife, Francesca. They make a brief but memorable appearance (as well as fully grown son, Ted, who Emma almost seduces) in this story as well.

Being an SEP novel, you always know how it will end, but as always, getting there is half the fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite romance novel, April 21, 2005
Sue (New York) - See all my reviews
Simply put, I love this book. Nobody does funny and heartbreaking as well as SEP. I especially loved the scene with Kenny and Petey at the baby diaper derby. It's laugh out lound funny seeing Kenny sizing up his baby brother's competition (the other babies) and then coaching him to give 110% and to make them play his game because nothing comes between a Traveler and athletic glory. And then getting teary eyed watching Kenny realized he was doing to his brother what their father had done to him years ago, making him earn his love by winning on the athletic field. I'm babbling and in no way doing justice to the scene, you'll just have to read it for yourself.

All the characters are interesting and likeable with the exception of the Duke. Tori and Dex also have a great storyline if you like the geek as hero stories. And I can't wait for Ted's story, it was nice to see him all grown up. Last seen, he was little 9 year old Teddy from FANCY PANTS. The only thing that I didn't love about this book was the epilogue, a little too mushy for my taste. Overall, I highly recommend this book. It's funny without being lightweight, and heartwarming without being too sentimental (not counting the epilogue), buy or borrow this book today, you won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A book definitely worth reading....., August 12, 2002
M. I. "krushedvelvet" (Old Bridge, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This is my very first book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips...and I enjoyed every moment!!! Being that I prefer historical romances, the modern day backdrop to this book threw me off at first; I decided to give it a shot anyway...and I'm sooo glad I did!!! This book was so charming...it was full of laughs...and not only were Kenny and Emma wonderful, but the secondary characters were outstanding as well!!! I would definitely recommend this and look forward to purchasing more works by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Hilarious, April 23, 2006
I know this isn't the most famous of SEP's books but in my opinion it's by far the funniest. And that's saying a lot because anything she writes is full of wit.

Lady Emma is a British schoolmistress, straight-laced as they come. The new owner of the school is trying to blackmail her into marriage so she tries to get out of it the only way she can think of- to destroy her reputation. He won't take no for an answer, but he won't marry someone with a bad reputation. Emma is rather creative in the extremes to which she'll go to ruin her good reputation.

Kenny Traveler has been in trouble one too many times and finds himself suspended from professional golf. Dallie, the bad boy from Fancy Pants, has cleaned up his act and is now acting commissioner of the PGA. He and Francine are delightful annoyances in this book, Dallie trying to get Kenny to grow up and Francine trying to be a matchmaker. Their son, Teddy, is fully grown now and steals the show. I hope he gets his own book some day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Funny, Funny, Touching & Romantic, August 25, 1999
By A Customer
Lady Be Good was a very funny and informative book. Kenny's character as a pro golfer on suspension that was a very clever idea. His attitude towards the english head mistress was very entertaining. The rival going on between them was outstanding! I loved this book because of the originality and the spirit of all the characters. If you ever read any SEP's books than you know already know how talented and creative she can be. Be prepare to add her name to the other bestsellers you know. Guaranteed to enjoy again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, funny, sexy, emotional....Classic SEP!, February 8, 2000
By A Customer
I can't believe she did it again! She keepes getting better and better. I love her other books sooo much (especially her beloved Chicago Stars series). I did not think she could possibly beat them. She did - this is my favorite SEP book. Kenny is good enough to eat, ladies. And Emma is hilarious. They are true opposites, but perfect together. Please read this book for the hot tub scene alone. RUN to your local bookstore and buy yourselves a copy of this book. It is simply delightful. I could NOT put it down (and believe me, I usually have a very short attention span!). Happy reading! This book is one of my favorites of all time!

2.0 out of 5 stars Plot better used for a regency than a contemporary, December 14, 2001
Although I generally enjoy Phillips and her First Lady book is a favorite, this book has to be one of the worst contemporary romances I have ever read. The originating event that leads the heroine to our hero has to be one of the weakest plot devices ever used in a contemporary romance. In fact, it is just stupid, to say nothing of unbelievable. The author asks us to believe that in the 1990s there is an attractive 30 year old virgin who is headmistress of an exclusive girls's school in England who is being blackmailed by an obnoxious nobleman (on whose estate this long-lived school is located) into marrying him to provide him with a desperately-longed for male heir because he has picked her out as the ONLY possible wife for himself. If she does not marry her virgin self to him he will have the school torn down. So she decides that she must publicly prove herself to be a less than a virgin so that the evil nobleman will no longer want her and therefore give up his treacherous designs on the school's land. Give me a break. I am willing to suspend credulity, but only so far. This plot device would work in a Regency romance, but not in a modern romance. Also -- how many 30 year olds are headmistresses (to say nothing of virgins)? And what kind of idiots are the school's board of trustees to have operated a school on land without any contract whatsoever? And if she publicly humiliates the nobleman by proving that she, his publicly affianced, is (not a virgin) -- won't there be retribution anyway? Anyway, she decides to go to Texas to lose her virginity (...). Her best friend arranges for the hero(of course, a gorgeous Texas jock) to be her escort. Although he is the world's best golfer, she has never seen his picture or even heard his name. Okaaay. By the time they get to his condo from the airport he has convinced her that he is a male prostitute and for a fee will be happy to deflower her. (Either she is too stupid and gullible to be a school headmistress or the author thinks we readers are stupid and gullible enough to buy this tripe.) And it gets worse, because every time she does something publicly to prove she is less than pristine (because she knows the evil nobleman has sent a spy to Texas to check up on her) the reports the nobleman gets are less than accurate, because it turns out our hero is the spy and does not want to publicly brand her as tawdry! How the hero and the evil nobleman have a connection is just unbelievable. Then there is a truly annoying subplot with the hero's sister being forced to marry her father's business partner, (another Regency device) who of course turns out to love her and be a pistol in bed (but she must be shown her place and spanked before the sex occurs). Yeeech. I could have lived without that scene in my life. The hero's problem revolves around his work life and the climax of the book turns out to be a golf game described in excruciating detail. This book would have possibly worked as a Regency romance and should have been set there. The author uses a very similar scenario in the far superior, Heaven, Texas (virgin meets hot Texas jock). I gave it two stars because the love scenes between the main characters are well written and the writing is engaging enough where I did not throw the book across the room in disgust at the idiotic plot and subplots.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, November 9, 1999
By A Customer
I love a good smart alec and Kenny is definatly one of the best. His sense of humor made me laugh out loud. Lady Emma definately had a style all her own. I throughly enjoyed this book, couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best..., October 12, 2005
SR (San jose, us) - See all my reviews
This is simply her best. I havent liked any of her other books this much..sometimes they get too tedious with lots of side characters. But this book was HILARIOUS. SEP at her wittiest best!

Lady Be Good: A Novel
Lady Be Good: A Novel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (Paperback - January 18, 2011)
$12.99 $10.97