5.0 out of 5 stars Believe in Fairies
Published on January 11, 2006 by M. Ashley

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for Kids
I bought this book for my daughters, age 8 and 3. I ordered it online without ever having seen a real copy, but instead looking at the first few pages displayed on the Amazon site; specifically the page with the little 5 year-old girl's handwriting - misspellings and all - about capturing her first fairy. I thought it would be a cute children's book that my daughters...
Published on February 5, 2008 by Jo's mom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe in Fairies, January 11, 2006
This review is from: Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book: 10 3/4 Anniversary Edition (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book. It is nice enough to display in the finest room. There are a few half-naked fairies that were "captured," so it is not recommended for young children. The "nude" pages have a brown wrap around them with a warning. Very amusing. This book is basically the journal of a young girl, whose handwriting needs improving. She catches the fairies in her journal and writes about them. As she grows older, her handwriting improves. The artwork is amazing, very realistic. Or maybe it isn't artwork. Maybe, just maybe these really ARE fairies that were squished between the pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old favorite of mine, November 10, 2005
K. Frantz (Stone Mountain, Ga.) - See all my reviews
I bought this book when it first came out and fell in love with it. It's whimsical and funny with a lot of beautiful pictures as well! Worth every penny to me and you'll find me giving this as a gift to the friends I know who appreciate great art and humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic & Fun, November 20, 2006
I absolutely love this book!!! First I must say, I can't imagine why anyone would buy it for their children without looking at it first, as it seems some of the critics of it have. I would never buy something for children without knowing exactly what it is. With that said, I think this book is very funny and has such an artistic flare to it. Anyone who loves Brian Froud's work will be thrilled with this book. Also, if you love any kind of books about fairies and have a good sense of humor this is definately for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Froud: Silly, irreverant, lots of fun!, August 25, 2008
NOTICE! This is not a childrens fairy book! If you are easily offended, then just don't buy it. If you think members of the clergy are infallible, then just don't buy it! If you want a silly romp into the brains of Brian Froud and Terry Jones, then, by all means, buy it! The interview on the DVD is hysterical, but you have to appreciate 'python; humor. Some reviewers have taken this WAYYY too seriously, and it could spoil the book and the others in this "family", and I would hate to see that happen. If you have seen "Goblins", you will see the same zany irreverance as you do here, and I, for one, find it charming.
It's presented as a little girls' diary, complete with horrible handwriting and spelling, chronicles her way thru young adulthood, and thru to her old age. Her lifelong battle with the fairies becomes her lifes' work, as she squishes her opponents/companions in her book, just as they want. The glee with which they give themselves to be 'pressed', (tho they are not ever hurt, it's a game to them!) is lost on her, she even feels an occasional pang of regret that she has smooshed so many.
Her pangs are short-lived, tho, and she continues her wanton smushing, never knowing that the fairies were always her best companions, wanting her to enjoy life, and dance with them, the way her mother had. She was half-fairy, and since she never opened the letter her mother left for her, she apparently never knew.
I will enjoy this book, and its' companion books, for years, but have the good sense not to give them to my little boy. Tinkerbell is more his speed. These fairies are more my husbands' type. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Romp, January 2, 2009
I raised my daughter on the Flower Fairies of Mary Cicely Barker. I made her flower fairy costumes for Halloween. Bought the books, greeting cards, accessories; went the website; believed in them, too. The sweet innocence of the botanically correct poems and the whimsy of the fairies themselves marked her early childhood with pure innocence.

So I laughed myself silly when I sat down with Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book which came to me by way of a dear friend at Christmas. What a send up! Here the flower fairies are the voices inside the head of one disturbed little Angelica, who smashes them inside her book--for years. These fairies represent her unrealized sexual desires, which fact is lost on her but not on her suitors--a cousin, members of the clergy, and other nobility. The dramatic irony is delightful--though far from the innocent sweetness of the little children of Barker's mind.

The volume comes with a DVD in which one Lady Angelica describes how she used to catch fairies, how she managed to photograph one, and how she lived her life with this tortuous creatures. The video clip is every bit as funny as the book. Madness abounds, and it's a delightful romp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting Faeries!, July 1, 2008
I recently bought quite a few books (mostly on sale) from Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com. Opening the boxes as they arrived was much like Christmas to me - I love books! Immediately I read the Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Books. I hadn't planned on this being the first books I read from the order. However, flipping through the pages and seeing the beautiful, whimsical artwork of the faeries - I was enchanted!

Lady Cottington is a young girl who writes in her journal about catching, or pressing faeries. As she grows older, her handwriting improves and her stories become even more hilarious about these amusing faeries she presses.

I thought this was going to be a more kid friendly book than it is. Luckily, I did not purchase these books for anyone but myself, and no kids are looking at them. There are nude faeries in the book, and some journal entries are of a sexual content. This should have perhaps been stated somewhere in the book description area.

The Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book: 10 ¾ Anniversary Edition and the Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Letters are the perfect addition to anyone's library that loves fairies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic as always, October 31, 2007
This is a review and comment on other comments. :)

The Lady Cottington Faery books are a lot of fun. For those of you who believe in faeries, like I do, I certainly hope your image of faeries are not perfect, beautiful, tiny women with wings. The images in this book are gogeous, unique, and all of Brian Froud's work fits what I believe a faery looks like. For those of you who are upset that this book is a fake when it claims to be real, perhaps you didn't notice the Cottington books are in the humor section... not non-fiction... not children's. There is a warning that says children should not look a "these pages" and are clipped together so kids won't accidentally see them.

I met Brian Froud recently at a Faerie Convention. He doesn't seem like the type who would agree with squichsing faeries into a book. In fact, he honors and reveres him, as did everyone there.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Believe In Fairies...Do You??, April 3, 2009
Have you ever just wanted to escape? An easy read? Something to make you laugh and believe in all things magical again? Well, here it is, in your hands, Angelica Cottington's diary. And if you didn't believe in fairies before, you'll have to now. Because you see, as young as Angelica is, she knows you need proof and the proof is in the pudding so to speak...so "SPLAT!" Every fairy that she sees she just squishes between these pages for all to see.

This book is hillarious and I fell in love with it long ago. You will too, you'll see. It's not only a wonderful story about a young girl who believes and sees fairies and no one believes her, but it is a beautiful work of art as well. Wonderful job as always.

I recommend this book to everyone young and old. Especially the ones that see fairies..."wink"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully Wicked!, January 5, 2009
I bought this as a holiday present for myself. I had not seen the interior, however being familiar with Froud's drawings and Jones' wit, I was completely prepared for the wickedness within. For anyone thinking this is a sweet children's book, read the name of the book again. This is a book of PRESSED FAIRIES. As in PRESSED. If you are expecting Tinkerbelle with her perfect hair, you have been overly indoctrinated by Disney.

This book tells the store of Angelica and her lifelong association with the faires of England and Italy. They are a metaphor for her growing sexuality and the guilt associated with it in the late 1800s-early 1900s society.

Great fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastical & Bewitching!, February 1, 2009
Pearls Perspective (Georgetown, TX USA) - See all my reviews
If you've a problem with nudity...then don't buy this book!! I think it's absolutely fabulous and it has a special place on my bookshelf! Whimsical, fanciful, exquisite watercolors, that start out 'tame' enough and get more 'expressive' as the girls grow older. As a lover of art, this book is worth every penny and I loved every piece!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book: 10 3/4 Anniversary Edition
Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book: 10 3/4 Anniversary Edition by Terry Jones (Hardcover - October 1, 2005)
Used & New from: $11.50