Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (Windham Book 5)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 1, 2012
The more I read by Grace Burrowes, the more attached I become to the Windham family. I read the first book in the Windham sister's series (Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish) late last year and met Maggie Windham. When the opportunity arose to read Maggie's book, I found that I was looking forward to learning more about this seemingly independent woman. I really enjoyed Maggie's story, she is a protective, loving woman who is willing to sacrifice herself for the sake of those she loves.

In Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal, Grace Burrowes has created an excellent historical romance with endearing characters and a touch of suspense. This romance read will draw readers in with an independent heroine, a determined hero, and an unexpected scandal.

Maggie Windham is the oldest daughter of a Duke, and a bastard at that. She comes from humble beginnings and her parentage affects her life's choices. When her reticule goes missing, Maggie hires Benjamin, an investigator, to help find her reticule and the damaging contents before scandal can come to her family. Maggie is very protective of her secrets and tells Benjamin the bare minimum needed to find her belongings. The more time Benjamin spends with Maggie, the more determined he is to discover her secrets and protect the woman who has become quite important to him.

I really liked Maggie as the heroine of this book. She is a woman full of contradictions, she is independent but lonely, loyal but secretive, brilliant and wealthy but leads a very modest lifestyle. She is also a beautiful woman, firmly "on the shelf" because of her age, but secretly she dreams of having a family of her own. She sacrifices all of her wants to protect her family, the Duke and Duchess and her siblings. She is very stubborn about protecting her family, almost to a fault. When Benjamin steps in and tries to help, her stubbornness to deal with scandals in a different way almost ruins her dreams. Thankfully, Benjamin is the perfect match for Maggie. He is brilliant in his own way, he has the ability to read people, situations, and uncover truths. The pair are an excellent couple and I loved reading their story.

Grace Burrowes writes a believable and enchanting story with Lady Maggie's Secret Scandals. While the characters are perfect for each other, they are not actually perfect characters. Maggie is sweet, smart, but overly stubborn. Benjamin is also a smart person, but he hides from his own family's problems. Through Maggie's story and the resolution to her problems, both characters have to confront their pasts to move forward. I was very happy how the story unfolded, and I find that I am very eager to read the next book in the series. I am become attached to the entire Windham family, with the protective brothers, caring parents, and the sisters whose actions are never predictable.

I highly recommend this entire Windham family series to historical romance readers. If you enjoy the familial nature of historical romances, such as Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series, you will highly enjoy the Windham family series as well. Even though Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal is part of a series, it can be read as a stand alone. Grace Burrowes does a wonderful job of describing the story and characters from previous books so that new readers will not be lost.

*I received this book for review*
on November 12, 2012
The writing for the most part was crisp,speedy and interesting (until the fluff at the end). However, the period norms weren't followed, and that is always irritating. Regency era Dukes don't adopt their by-blows,and their daughters don't live on their own, run around unescorted, and earn their own income through money management. But the biggest disappointment was that 15 years of "secret scandal" could all have been avoided had the (money-genius financial manager) heroine been able to do some simple calculations. So, while the writing itself was good, there were too many misses to make this a recommended read.
on May 1, 2012
Grace Burrowes has hit another one out of the ballpark! The book starts out with a great "hook". "The BLIGHTED, BENIGHTED, BLASTED, PERISHING thing has to be in here somewhere." It would seem that Lady Maggie Windham, the natural (and adopted) daughter of the Duke of Moreland, has "misplaced" something that is very important and valuable to her. She hires an investigator to locate the item. Enter our tortured hero.... Mr Hazlit.
Much of the Windham family make appearances and some are major contributers in the plot that unfolds. There are a lot of twists and turns and enough action to keep the reader focused. Neither Mr. Hazlit or Maggie are looking for a romance, but it does seems to sneak up on them as they work together to solve the mystery of her missing item.
Ms. Burrowes has the ability to bring so much emotion into her writing. You can feel the turmoil or fear, frustration, loneliness, or passion that the character is feeling. As soon as I finish a Grace Burrowes book, I am looking for the next one to be released. (Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight is to be released October 2012)
on March 25, 2013
I bought this on the basis of the other reviewers. What a yawner. I got tired of reading about how much the duke and duchess loved their children.The ploy of finding a reticule without looking in it was a little far fetched. I am half way through and I am going to continue to plow on. If this picks up, I will write another review. So far, I am having trouble staying awake and don't see what all the five-star reviewers saw.
on March 22, 2013
Fairly well written, and very well edited. Yes, it is a romance for adults. The "bedroom scenes" are graphic. I am not a great fan of romance novels, but I like the occasional quick read for entertainment. I was almost ready to dislike this book, but it was better than expected. As others have noted, it's not great literature and has inconsistencies including words that seem to be a glaring contrast to the language of that period. However, if you like racy trysts and contrived situations reaching toward a happy ending, you will enjoy this.
on June 6, 2012
I've read all of Grace Burrowes novels, and I've enjoyed all of them, but this is my least favorite. The story dragged for me until about 2/3 of the way into it. I did throughly enjoy the ending, and I will read the next one. This one seemed to have a lot of POVs, the duke, the duchess, Bridget, even the maid. I'm not used to that, but I will say it wasn't confusing.
on January 2, 2016
Why do some authors think longer is better?? Burrowes wrote a wonderful regency tale w/developed characters & great secondary characters but allowed them to get lost in her page after page of overly descriptive narrative. The story dragged along w/so many unnecessary descriptions & un-needed details... that I started to skim about 1/2 way through. A book of almost 400 pages is unwarranted unless we're talking GONE W/THE WIND, which this wasn't. Also @ 400 pages, a bit more heat would have been appreciated, I mean the h was almost 30 & considered a "spinster".... some additional heat would have made the story alot more interesting.

If Burrowes had trimmed, or her editor had done his/her job, about 150-200 pages... this book would have flown by; stated all the needed & some extra information but been a more enjoyable read. As much as I like Burrowes as a story teller, I don't think I'd make the committment to read another of her tomes giving up hours & hours of my time.

If you're looking for an almost clean regency w/a good story line & developed characters & are willing to take frequent side trips during the tale.... you'll enjoy this book more than I did.
on July 21, 2016
I have enjoyed the entire Windham series, and although they do not have to be read in order (no cliffhangers) reading them in sequence is a good idea. The order is listed in the front of the later books, or you can get it off Grace Burrowes' website. Maggie is a complex and deep character, and Deene is a terrific hero. I knew as soon as he was introduced in an earlier book that he had to be back again. And their story is no disappointment. The entire family is a group you would love to be friends with.
on September 7, 2014
I did enjoy Benjamin and Maggie's story. Benjamin is an investigator with honor. He is also an Earl with secrets. Maggie is an illegitimate daughter of a Duke, who with his wife adopted her from her wicked mother as a child. Maggie has never felt as one of the family but it is her not the family that promotes this feeling. She is very intelligent financially but not so much emotionally. She hires Benjamin to help her recover her receptacle which has letters she is desperate to get back. She does not tell him there are letters as a matter of fact it is like pulling teeth to get any information at all from her. Benjamin finds himself very taken with her. The more he learns of her the more he respects and eventually falls in love with her. He suggest a courting to give them a cover to be together. Okay I did like the story but I am really not liking the endings of Grace Burrows books. I have read the entire series up to this point and the only way you know anything about the characters from previous book is to get the new book. I feel like the books end abruptly. There is a happily ever after which I look for in my books but I am not sure what is missing. I just know every book feels like it ends abruptly. I will continue to read about the Windhams because I do like the family and I want to know how they end up but I seriously hope the last book has a super epilogue.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 31, 2014
If you are a reader of Ms. Burrowes' Windham Series, you will have already been introduced to the lovely Maggie who is the bastard daughter of the Duke of Windham - born before he was married to his Duchess. Although we have known of Maggie, we have never been made aware of the heavy secret she has carried since her teens which has contributed to her study of "all things financial" to the point, even Gayle Windham, heir to the duchy, consults with her before making investments.

Benjamin Hazlit has a past with the Windhams, having being called upon in the past to spy out Gayle Windham's love interest, Anna. Be that as it may, Maggie doesn't like the fact that Benjamin has spied on family and friends and she goes so far as to attempt to hinder his efforts until she has need of his services to help her locate her "reticule" which has gone missing, with letters inside which could cause some very important people a lot of grief and heartache if said letters were to be made public.

Benjamin is actually "Hazelton" but few people know he is an earl who turned to investigations to earn money for his family but is now actually ready to retire and take up the earldom. Although he no longer needs the funds for investigations, he can name his price and indeed he does give Maggie a quote for his services which he doesn't think she will be able to pay - not realizing that Maggie has plenty of wealth due to her ability to read up on and predict which investments will give a good return.

To cut to the chase, Benjamin agrees to help Maggie and along the way, they find a lot more than they initially bargained for. In my opinion, Benjamin is one of the sexiest of Ms. Burrowes' "Windham" men and his handling and eventual pursuit of Maggie only endeared this romantic soul to his person. When he begins to refer to her as "Maggie Mine" that was the finishing point for me - he won the race and he had only to collect his trophy. I don't think most readers will regret spending time with Benjamin and Maggie. As usual, you get to connect with the various Windham family members including the consistently "meddling" Duke and Duchess.