Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

VINE VOICEon July 28, 2012
Wei Chen, the soldier, has come to this particular town, to this particular family for the purpose of killing his former comrade (and former friend), Yao Ru Shan, for betraying the warlord they both swore to serve,...

but this isn't really the truth.

Yao Ru Shan's sister, Yao Ru Jiang, known as River, would do anything to save her brother's life, even give herself as lover to a man sworn to kill him,...

but that isn't really the truth, either.

Author Jeannie Lin has given us yet another pair of Tang Dynasty main characters determined not to give in to feelings they won't even admit to themselves because their situation starts out hopeless,...

and then proceeds to get worse. Though it runs somewhat parallel to the third book and was apparently written before it, IMHO this story should be read after The Taming of Mei Lin,Butterfly Swords, and The Dragon and the Pearl so that the reader will know what Yao Ru Shan has done to deserve death (or not). Exactly where it fits into the chronology is less clear, but chapters 1-5 of this book must follow page 184 of the third book and chapter 6 must follow the end of book 3.

For once I could guess the surprise trick ending that produces the Happily Ever After because it follows logically from the events of book 3, but Ms. Lin STILL made me doubt my guess or that a HEA ending was even possible.
on September 10, 2011
I loooved this story. The author has an amazing touch with emotion, description, angst (in a really good way), and incredibly sensual love scenes. It's a quick, gorgeous read and very satisfying. I did wonder a little about one piece of the ending, but I have a strong suspicion that it relates to the forthcoming novel, The Dragon and the Pearl, which I'm *eagerly* awaiting. (Li Tao's story at last--W00T!)

If you haven't read her first short, The Taming of Mei Lin, go grab it! It's one of my favorite short stories EVAH.
on November 12, 2013
This one worked much better for me than "The Taming of Mei Lin". With the characters, everything just fit together really well and I had no problems believing these two could be in love even after having just met formally for the first time. The end wraps up a bit too cleanly for my taste, and I was left feeling like I missed something because I have no idea what Ru Shan did--either to force himself into hiding then to get himself out of it--leading me to believe that this must be an off-shoot of another book that I haven't read yet. Overall I really enjoyed this story.
on September 5, 2011
A lovely, emotional story that feels complete even though its short. The characters are fully drawn and sympathetic. The noble soldier who thinks he's lost his chance to claim the woman he's fallen in love with only through the stories her brother has told him. The loyal sister who sacrifices her honor and personal safety to keep her father and all the people who depend on them safe. The ending was a little too good to be true, but overall a well written novella. Definitely worth your time and money.
on October 2, 2011
Once again, Jeannie Lin draws us into the world of Tang Dynasty China with a tale of love that is both sexy and sweet.

Yao Ru Jiang, called River, would do anything to save her rebel brother. Even seduce his executioner. Wei Chen wants nothing less than to hunt and kill his longtime friend for betraying their commander, but he is bound by honor to bring him to justice.

When he is waylaid by River's charms, will Chen lose the trail of the outlaw, or will he lose his heart?

The Lady's Scandalous Night is a hot little warm-up act to her next full-length release, The Dragon and the Pearl. Despite its short length, it is long on emotion.
on September 5, 2012
Loved this book. The romance is good in this novel. I am collecting all of her novels. I usually like Historical-victorian era but I loved the new background. The writer really transports you into this different world.
on February 28, 2016
Not very Good
on November 1, 2015
I felt it was a scandalous night. She slept with him to give her family time to get away. I felt like that was honorable. I also felt they had a connection between them that she would have slept with him regardless of situation.