Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Laila Ali LADR5604 Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer, Purple and White
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: Purple|Change

on May 7, 2013
A comprehensive review of the Laila Ali Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer and demonstration. I love to use it for styling and for heat treatments. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase.
1515 comments| 731 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2012
I think the first reviewer is confused. In 2 places on the box it says there are 2 settings: but there are are actually 4: 1) High - hot (good for the first 20 minutes); 2)low hot (good for the next 10 minutes then 3)cool (a. high or b. low) for the final finishing. There is a DISCERNIBLE DIFFERENCE between high and low hot settings unlike other dryers that have 2 hot settings but are equally hot. This is a well-engineered dryer.

I purchased this dryer last week and used it Sunday, Nov. 25th on my recently colored hair - my hair (thick and shoulder length) and scalp never looked (or felt) better. as for its features:

First - the motor is powerful without generating a lot of extra heat
Second - the hood is ROOMY and COMFORTABLE and accommodates the largest of rollers
Third - this is the most important - this dryer does not create uncomfortable hot spots which burn your scalp.
Finally - the case is well made, stylish and a joy to use ( I LOVE the color) - everything cools off quickly and can be replaced without bulging or popping out of their original storage places.

An excellent dryer for the money. I strongly recommend it. I just noticed the other 2 types of dryers and may buy one of those as a back-up.
33 comments| 468 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2014
Pros: compact, everything in one place, all items fit into case, it doesn't blow my hair into a tangled mess, the low setting is plenty heat......

Cons: kinda too loud for me
review image review image review image review image review image
0Comment| 225 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2015
I'm using it as I write this review!!! I love it let me tell you what to do! 1)style hair as desired or just detangle as normal 2) turn or Netflix or your favorite show 3) stack your pillows on you bed to prop your back comfortably 4)plug in your dryer and assemble now enjoy! Lol idk why people are making this device to difficult! Put the thing on your bed and make sure you have a towel around your neck so it doesn't burn, that's the beauty of this dryer!!! You can lounge around the house with it! Get you and extension cord and sit in the couch or the bed there is no need to be sitting on the floor or tables no longer ladies! And it heats up fast and medium setting is hot enough
review image
11 comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2013
When I first opened this bonnet I was NOT impressed. I actually wanted to return it, but the returning process seemed like more hassle than it was worth. So I decided just to try it out and if I really didn't like it I could sell it.

I'm SO glad I gave it a chance.

What turned me off was the bonnet: it seemed too big for my main purposes of usage (as a deep conditioner heat tool). It is perfect for ladies who do rollersets or the like, but I'm not there in the hair game yet lol.

So I put on my DC, a shower cap, and hooked up the machine. It comes just as the stock photos picture. It is very simple to set up and use, takes seconds.

Settings: High/Low, Cool/Hot. I used it on High/Hot. It wasn't very hot to me and I thought it was lacking until I finished the DC session. When I took the bonnet off, my shower cap was holing on to so much heat!!! It took about 10 minutes for the shower cap to cool off (I was testing to see). That was impressive to me. When I took the shower cap off, my hair was so soft and wavy. When I rinsed, my hair was like butter!!!

I used it in this process for two DC sessions (one 30 min protein treatment before the wash, one 30 min moisturizing treatment after the wash). Both sessions with the bonnet were a success, and I am sold. I will try it with rollers next when I try my first rollerset.

Some things to keep in mind:
- I use a shirt or towel on my neck. The heat bears down on my neck, ears, and eyes. It doesnt bother my ears and eyes, though.
- The bonnet is kind of awkward at first. I had to play around with it for a minute to get comfortable. I use the strings to fasten it under my chin. It works best that way for ME.
- My fist day I used it for 1 hour total. It is built well and I can tell will be able to handle plenty more sessions. It is made of high grade plastics. I placed it on a chair and sat in my gaming chair while on my laptop.

I would recommend this item. I love that it is compact, heats very well, is attractive, and helped me improve my dc sessions.
33 comments| 320 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2013
PROS
I like the way it looks. The various parts fit easily back into their slots and the whole dryer is compact. I was surprised at how large the bonnet is. I had a full head of 2 inch rollers on and it fit over them quite well. There was one reviewer who said that when she put the bonnet on it completely disrupted her rollers. Well, any bonnet would disrupt your rollers if you don't secure the rollers by tying them down with one of those large black triangle net things. Since I do that, I had no problems with it disrupting my rollers.

HUGE DEAL-BREAKER CON!!!

The big problem with this dryer is that the whole perimeter of the bonnet does not cinch (see video), only the back part so I can't get a good tight fit.The elastic strings don't pull tight enough so the bonnet starts to slip away from the front a bit. In addition, the hot air shoots out around the sides and burns your ears and all around the back of your neck. Putting a towel around the neck doesn't help because the burn starts to happen at the edge of the bonnet, kind of like just inside of the bonnet so a towel wrapped around the neck does not work like how it does when you use sit-down dryers. I tried stuffing a towel or fabric into the areas that burned but that didn't work either. So, for example, the back of my neck would burn so I would stuff a towel under the base of the bonnet to catch the air at that location but then the air would shoot out up by my ears. Occasionally, I would find a delicate balance that would allow me to tolerate the configuration of the bonnet and towels/fabric stuffed into the base of the bonnet but it meant that I couldn't really move around at all. Even if I needed to reach for something nearby or turn my head to look at someone it would completely mess the whole thing up. This meant that the time I had to spend under the dryer dragged on for an inordinate amount of time.

I thought I had a solution to the problem of the heat shooting out, but I was sadly mistaken. I took a long piece of satin fabric that I sometimes use to tie down my hair and I wrapped it around the perimeter of the bonnet, kinda like if you were putting on a bandana. However, ensuring no hot air blew out and burned me was hit or miss, usually miss. Furthermore, I had to tie the scarf so tight that it felt like I was cutting off circulation.

I just got aggravated by it and went to pull the strings and one just popped, which means the bonnet won't close and I will have to buy a bonnet attachment. I know this hot air shooting out thing is a design defect because I had a soft bonnet hair dryer back in the day and I never had this problem--ever. Now I have to go spend $17 to buy a replacement bonnet because the shoelace thing popped.

p.s. my mom bought one these dryers as well and she has the same problem as well.
1313 comments| 249 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2015
I absolutely love this dryer! Its sleek, light weight And compact. I was thrilled that I could move around or sit still and watch tv. The motor is considerably quiet compaiired to others I've seen. Everything fits into its compartment, the hose, the a/c cord and the bonnet.

The Hot temp is HOT 🔥 if you can't stand the hot temp but want hair dryed fast, just ware a plastic cap (the kind used when you let conditions sit on your hair) this will keep the heat directly off your scalp if you have a low tolerance for Heat
Also ware a tile around your neck.

My twists were completely dry after About an hour. I am so glad I pick this one.

Thanks Lalia !! ✌️
review image
on April 1, 2014
I am a consistent Amazon Prime customer and shop almost weekly on here and this by far is my first 1 star review. I just received item today, inspected the box and item inside and placed it right back in the box because it isn't what is advertised. I didn't even try it yet because it's going back to Amazon immediately. The item I received appears to be cheaply made with horrible quality plastic. The bonnet and hose are colored white instead of black. This item does not look like what is advertised on the video review By IsaReviewer on May 7, 2013, on the first page of this item. Ughhh, I am so disappointed. Amazon is shipping a replacement item which I am skeptical in receiving. I really want this product, but I want the one that is being advertised everywhere. We shall see what I get for round 2. I will update this review upon receipt of the replacement item.

**Update 4/3/2014** I received my replacement today as promised and I am completely satisfied that I received the dryer as pictured. First thing I notice was the packaging is completely new and when I investigated the actual dryer I smiled because it was what I wanted :) The item is completely new, no marks, no discoloration or scratches compared to the first dryer I received. The quality is even a lot better. I have updated the rating to 4 stars from 1 star due to my initial experience. Once I try out the dyer I may update this review again with my hands on experience. Thanks for rectifying my complaint Amazon.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on May 24, 2015
I have thick, curly, shoulder length hair. I can only go 2 days without washing it- after that it just frizzes. I have been using a hairdryer with a diffuser for years- would get lazy and let it air dry halfway. Just got tired of not being able to do other things while I dried my hair. Used this for the first time today and I loved it! Only con is that the hose kept falling out. I used root clips for volume under the bonnet. It took 30 or 45 minutes to completely dry my hair. My curls look shorter because they were completely dried with a hairdryer, rather than limp from air drying. New favorite beauty product! Maybe I'll tape the hose!
review image review image
on October 23, 2014
When I first received the bonnet dryer, I was incredibly frustrated with how the hose continuously became detached from the bonnet (like previous owners had warned). I had to stay perfectly still, and I hated it. UNTIL, one day I just decided to twist the hose a little harder when I attached it to the bonnet, AND IT STAYED! It actually snaps into place. I can once again move my head like a real person while drying my hair. I do wish that the hose was longer, but I can understand why they opted to make it the length that it is... It is a little loud so I usually read while drying my hair instead of watching TV...Lastly, I love the size of it. I was deciding between this bonnet dryer and the hard top dryers. SO glad I picked this one. dries my hair nicely and stores away so easily. And it's excellent for travel. I'm going to the beach next week, and it's small/light enough that I'm actually considering packing it in my suitcase to help me keep up with my hair while on vacation. Couldn't do that with a hard top dryer! :)

As far as drying, I think that the product does an excellent job. I have natural hair so I use the dryer to partially dry my braid or twist outs before bed to make sure my hair is completely dry when I wake up, and I can avoid frizz. The Cool, Low, Med, High setting are actually for the amount of heat that you want, not the pressure that you want the air to flow.