5.0 out of 5 stars Dryer works very well!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:48 Mins
A comprehensive review of the Laila Ali Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer and demonstration. I love to use it for styling and for heat treatments. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase.
Published 16 months ago by IsaReviewer

2.0 out of 5 stars Downgraded my review
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:53 Mins
PROS
Published 17 months ago by simone

5.0 out of 5 stars Dryer works very well!, May 7, 2013
This review is from: Laila Ali LADR5604 Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer, Purple and White (Misc.)
Length:: 3:48 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Dryer, November 26, 2012
L. Rolston "AV Gal" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I think the first reviewer is confused. In 2 places on the box it says there are 2 settings: but there are are actually 4: 1) High - hot (good for the first 20 minutes); 2)low hot (good for the next 10 minutes then 3)cool (a. high or b. low) for the final finishing. There is a DISCERNIBLE DIFFERENCE between high and low hot settings unlike other dryers that have 2 hot settings but are equally hot. This is a well-engineered dryer.

I purchased this dryer last week and used it Sunday, Nov. 25th on my recently colored hair - my hair (thick and shoulder length) and scalp never looked (or felt) better. as for its features:

First - the motor is powerful without generating a lot of extra heat
Second - the hood is ROOMY and COMFORTABLE and accommodates the largest of rollers
Third - this is the most important - this dryer does not create uncomfortable hot spots which burn your scalp.
Finally - the case is well made, stylish and a joy to use ( I LOVE the color) - everything cools off quickly and can be replaced without bulging or popping out of their original storage places.

An excellent dryer for the money. I strongly recommend it. I just noticed the other 2 types of dryers and may buy one of those as a back-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks can be deceiving!, February 16, 2013
When I first opened this bonnet I was NOT impressed. I actually wanted to return it, but the returning process seemed like more hassle than it was worth. So I decided just to try it out and if I really didn't like it I could sell it.

I'm SO glad I gave it a chance.

What turned me off was the bonnet: it seemed too big for my main purposes of usage (as a deep conditioner heat tool). It is perfect for ladies who do rollersets or the like, but I'm not there in the hair game yet lol.

So I put on my DC, a shower cap, and hooked up the machine. It comes just as the stock photos picture. It is very simple to set up and use, takes seconds.

Settings: High/Low, Cool/Hot. I used it on High/Hot. It wasn't very hot to me and I thought it was lacking until I finished the DC session. When I took the bonnet off, my shower cap was holing on to so much heat!!! It took about 10 minutes for the shower cap to cool off (I was testing to see). That was impressive to me. When I took the shower cap off, my hair was so soft and wavy. When I rinsed, my hair was like butter!!!

I used it in this process for two DC sessions (one 30 min protein treatment before the wash, one 30 min moisturizing treatment after the wash). Both sessions with the bonnet were a success, and I am sold. I will try it with rollers next when I try my first rollerset.

Some things to keep in mind:
- I use a shirt or towel on my neck. The heat bears down on my neck, ears, and eyes. It doesnt bother my ears and eyes, though.
- The bonnet is kind of awkward at first. I had to play around with it for a minute to get comfortable. I use the strings to fasten it under my chin. It works best that way for ME.
- My fist day I used it for 1 hour total. It is built well and I can tell will be able to handle plenty more sessions. It is made of high grade plastics. I placed it on a chair and sat in my gaming chair while on my laptop.

I would recommend this item. I love that it is compact, heats very well, is attractive, and helped me improve my dc sessions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Downgraded my review, March 28, 2013
Length:: 2:53 Mins

PROS
I like the way it looks. The various parts fit easily back into their slots and the whole dryer is compact. I was surprised at how large the bonnet is. I had a full head of 2 inch rollers on and it fit over them quite well. There was one reviewer who said that when she put the bonnet on it completely disrupted her rollers. Well, any bonnet would disrupt your rollers if you don't secure the rollers by tying them down with one of those large black triangle net things. Since I do that, I had no problems with it disrupting my rollers.

HUGE DEAL-BREAKER CON!!!

The big problem with this dryer is that the whole perimeter of the bonnet does not cinch (see video), only the back part so I can't get a good tight fit.The elastic strings don't pull tight enough so the bonnet starts to slip away from the front a bit. In addition, the hot air shoots out around the sides and burns your ears and all around the back of your neck. Putting a towel around the neck doesn't help because the burn starts to happen at the edge of the bonnet, kind of like just inside of the bonnet so a towel wrapped around the neck does not work like how it does when you use sit-down dryers. I tried stuffing a towel or fabric into the areas that burned but that didn't work either. So, for example, the back of my neck would burn so I would stuff a towel under the base of the bonnet to catch the air at that location but then the air would shoot out up by my ears. Occasionally, I would find a delicate balance that would allow me to tolerate the configuration of the bonnet and towels/fabric stuffed into the base of the bonnet but it meant that I couldn't really move around at all. Even if I needed to reach for something nearby or turn my head to look at someone it would completely mess the whole thing up. This meant that the time I had to spend under the dryer dragged on for an inordinate amount of time.

I thought I had a solution to the problem of the heat shooting out, but I was sadly mistaken. I took a long piece of satin fabric that I sometimes use to tie down my hair and I wrapped it around the perimeter of the bonnet, kinda like if you were putting on a bandana. However, ensuring no hot air blew out and burned me was hit or miss, usually miss. Furthermore, I had to tie the scarf so tight that it felt like I was cutting off circulation.

I just got aggravated by it and went to pull the strings and one just popped, which means the bonnet won't close and I will have to buy a bonnet attachment. I know this hot air shooting out thing is a design defect because I had a soft bonnet hair dryer back in the day and I never had this problem--ever. Now I have to go spend $17 to buy a replacement bonnet because the shoelace thing popped.

p.s. my mom bought one these dryers as well and she has the same problem as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it., October 21, 2012
I love the soft bonnet dryer. It dries my hair fast but doesn't dry my hair out by using too much heat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dryer, September 2, 2013
I have waist length, naturally curly, takes-forever-to-dry hair. I wanted something that would allow me to sit at computer or watch TV while I wait for my hair to dry - even with a dryer it takes a long time. This item is perfect. It seems to be good quality and solid construction. Everything fits compactly in the case for storage, and it is easy to place back in the case - it is not one of those that never quite go back the way it was. Just be sure to fold the bonnet neatly and compactly.

There are two settings buttons - speed and temp. The speed can be set to low or high, the temp cool or warm (this button also has an off position so it doubles as the power button). The description says three settings...I am unsure what this means. As I stated, there are two settings for each control. This provides four possible combinations...low/cool, low/warm, high/cool, high/warm.

I often use large clips to secure my curls while drying. The bonnet fits over these clips and has plenty of room - will work well for larger rollers. It works fine over loose unclipped/unrolled hair as well. I generally use the low/cool setting. The bonnet stays in place just by pulling the strings tight and it does not get too hot. When I use the high setting, the bonnet does shift from the air pressure, but will stay in place if I actually tie the strings instead of just pulling them tight - or if I just lightly hold it in place.

On the warm setting, the hose gets hot, but it is not uncomfortable and it might be nice in the winter to have the warm hose on my arm. :) The hose connects to the bonnet a little higher up so it does not rest on my neck at all. I have no problem with burning on the neck regardless of temp setting on dryer. I am fairly tall at 5'9", but the hose is long enough that I can set the case next to me on the chair and it reaches the bonnet easily.

Of course, the dryer makes noise, but I am easily able to watch TV or video on mobile device and I can hear it without any problem. I just make sure the bonnet is not covering my ears.

I think that's everything. I am very happy with this item and recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dryer, but don't buy it here from this price-gouging vendor, June 18, 2013
This dryer is so good, that I came here to purchase a second one to leave at my boyfriend's house so that I wouldn't have to cart one back and forth. Imagine my shock when I saw, after it had been out-of-stock on Amazon for some time, that the item had resurfaced at a new vendor price that was $18.12 more than what I paid for it at Walmart.com. I'm a staunch Amazon customer who drops a boatload of cash on this site because they usually feature the best prices, but was driven elsewhere when the item was listed out-of-stock. (Walmart.com sells the same dryer for $39.97, with free pick-up at the Walmart store of your choice.)

Despite my ire with this price-gouging, I am still giving the item 5 stars because my issue is with the vendor, not the product. But wherever you decide to purchase from (hey, it's your money), you can't go wrong with the product itself. I plan to use this extensively away from home, as I have a Pibbs 514 I purchased from (and also reviewed for) Amazon for home use. It's a standalone commercial quality dryer on wheel castors identical to the one they use in the Dominican salons, and it cut my drying time almost in half. But it's not portable, meaning if you have to do your hair away from home, you're kind of screwed. This Laila Ali dryer is the next best thing I've found, and only adds an additional 15 mins drying time, which is excellent for a compact unit this size.

You will need a neck wrap to protect against the heat flow in the back, but that's pretty much standard with any dryer, so no points taken off there. Covers my large mesh rollers and ties securely. Some heat escapes near the front of the bonnet, but again, you'll find that with almost any dryer (I've tested enough to know)... just tuck in some of those red foam ear guards to provide an ad-hoc seal wherever you find a little of the heat escaping too much for your liking, and you're good to go. Was able to work comfortably on my laptop at my desk while drying my hair. The main requirements for me, was that the unit got hot enough (YES), dried evenly front to back (YES), and did not add on too much extra drying time over the full dryer unit I already have (YES). 45-50 minutes for my long, thick ethnic hair on the Pibbs 514, and 65 minutes on the Laila Ali dryer. Note that I can only attest to time results on the red mesh European curlers I purchased from the Healthy Textures site; if you use magnetic curlers, you may have to add more time. The mesh curlers allow more air flow and quicker drying time. In fact, it's very possible that with the entrapped heat and full coverage generated by the Laila Ali dryer, in conjunction with the mesh rollers, my hair might have been dry at the 55 or 60 minute mark, but I didn't want to take any chances and get saddled with a damp set, on my first test run. I'll try to come out 5 minutes earlier each successive time I use it, to see if I get comparable results. Overall, a WIN-WIN, and exactly what I was looking for in a portable unit.

Great gift for a new mom, or anyone who is venturing into (healthier) wash-and-sets at home. My sister and her husband are expecting twins this fall (in addition to the 2 year old they already have), and I plan to gift her this since I know it will be a cold day in he** before she'll be able to see the inside of a salon, for the foreseeable future. If you're an African American woman with relaxed hair, you NEED this dryer, especially if you want to be able to do your own hair while on overseas or other vacation travel. If you're an African American woman with natural hair, you NEED this dryer, if you do home deep/hot oil conditioning treatments, or other natural styles which require a heat set of some kind, like rods or Curlformers. Just imagine going on a long road trip (RV or minivan) and being able to wash/set your hair in transit, by plugging the unit into a cigarette lighter adapter. You can't beat it. Like I said earlier, though - check Walmart for the best prices. At least until Amazon moves to another vendor on this item, and brings it back on Prime shipping, which I could have sworn it was advertised on as few as 3 weeks ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!!! GLAD I PURCHASED IT!!!, April 3, 2013
After reading the reviews here on amazon, I decided to give it a try and boy am I glad that I did. This is a great bonnet dryer. I love the settings. It gets hot enough and its not that loud. I've only used it once; so far its working PERFECTLY. I recently have gone natural and needed an inexpensive hair dryer for my twist outs as well as hot oil treatments. So Laila Ali thumbs up to you and your team for designing a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, December 15, 2012
It is the best product ever. I have locs. I just completed drying my locs with rollers in record time! Thanks so much

1.0 out of 5 stars No, February 17, 2013
I had been looking for a bonnet dryer that had a true cool setting. This one's cool setting is almost hotter than on hot. Also... the lid broke off during the first use. Huge waste of money.

Rate and Discover Movies