Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 16, 2012
I have used a Laing Ultratech UCT303 BW recirculator pump for just over 2 years now, and am very disappointed. In my previous house, I used a Grundfos recirculator... I had no issues with the Grundfos unit over 4 years of use. When we moved to a new place, I had my plumber install a recirculator. Except, I forgot the brandname Grundfos and Laing came up prominently during a Google search...so I went with Laing. Big mistake !

These Laing recirculators are very pricey ~ almost $400, depending on where you buy them. Unfortunately, they are not built well. The outside looks nice and sturdy...brass housing and all that, and they make fancy claims about a self lubricating motor. Unfortunately, they also have a check valve made out of fairly cheap rubber. I am an engineer...and it defies common sense to have a rubber check value meant for controlling hot water flow, specially when the rubber they use is so flaky. My recirculator stopped working after 19 months of use. Their warranty states 2 years, but that is 2 years from the date it was manufactured, not the date it was sold or first put to use (the manufacturing date is stamped on the unit). And guess what... I bought it 6 months after it was manufactured, so the warranty is no good. I took the unit apart, and the rubber valve was flaking into pieces ~ it was so bad that the manufacturer must know that the lifespan cannot be much more than 19 months. I suspect (but don't know for a fact, obviously) that their warranty policy is cleverly designed around this information.

I called them to see if they could send me a replacement check valve that I could insert into the unit. Unfortunately, that violates company policy. So now, my only real option is to toss this $400 unit into the landfill, create a whole bunch of unnecessary CO2 emissions, and start afresh with a Grundfos. My other option is to insert a separate check valve in the return line, but this is riskier (the pressure requirements on the check valve must closely match the motor; and of course the company does not divulge any of this information)... I am going to try this, but do not expect it to work long term.

I don't know the insides of a Grundfos unit, but I do know it lasted 4 years (instead of 19 months) and I also know that it is a lot cheaper. This time, I will not forget the name.
on November 12, 2007
Yes it works ... sort of. Installation was easy using stainless braid flex lines and since it went under the kitchen sink where power was already available no wiring was needed, otherwise it would have been a major hassle. It seems well made and runs quietly.

The problem is that the hot water line under the house cools faster than the line under the sink where the pump & thermostat are located. The upshot is that instead of instant hot water, you get nearly instant warm water. It does help and the hot water warms faster than without it but if you're looking for fully hot water in a matter of seconds, you'll be dissapointed. It's an improvement but not the total solution I was hoping for.

Probably insulating the hot water line where possible in the crawl space would help. Guess I'll try that next.
66 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2013
This unit was purchased at the end of december 2012. It stopped working on Feb 10th 2013. I called Laing and spoke to tech support. Very unprofessional conversation. I felt like I was calling someones house. I was quickly informed that I need to contact the Distributor. So I called the company who sold this through Amazon MyPlumbingStuff. I experienced a similar issue. I was greeted by an answering machine. I left my name number and my issue. I then followed up with an email to myplumbingstuff.com off of their web site. Hours later I received a one line follow up email "call Laing".

Fantastic, Called Laing and they said they clearly state they do not handle warranty claims from the end customer. So what good is the warranty if they don't honor it? It is their product, and I would think they would want to stand behind it. I guess since I don't install hundreds of these units I am not important.
on February 27, 2014
The old style which worked perfectly. The new moves a small amount of water every few second to check the temp, thus, you can hear it open, close, open, close, open, close constantly. The old style would open when need, run opened until the temp reached what was desired and close, then, stay closed until the temp of the water dropped. This one is crazy. That and some last a long time, and some go in a very short time. Great idea, expensive, but just not quite there in the engineering aspect.
on July 23, 2011
We just bought a house that has this Laing recirculating pump under the kitchen sink. We had never seen such a device and researched Laing pumps to educate ourselves as to why it was installed. We also researched this because the tap water that comes out of that faucet is also very foul smelling nine out of ten times when you turn it on. None of our other faucets smell. While it does give instant hot water, we are concerned about why there is such a stench. I do not want to drink out of this faucet now. I should comment that the house is 15 yes old. We do not know how long ago they installed it. We also are on a well system. The faucet control is one of those late model ones that has hot and cold in the same lever and you "swivel" it around to get the desired temp. Anyone have any suggestions or answers to our smell problem?
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2007
I hate waiting 60 seconds for warm water. This thing is genius. I installed it under the sink in my master bathroom and it makes it so I can turn the shower on and get in right away. If it saves me 60 seconds everyday, that's 6 hours in one year! At my wage, that pays for the pump several times over.
on May 4, 2010
I have been investigating recirculation systems to install in my home in the Santa Maria area of California's central coast. Water rates here seem to be on a continual upward cycle, so anything to save water is certainly worth checking into.

Now here is the rub, Home Depot sells the "Autocirc Undersink Instant Hot Water Circulating System, Model # ACT-303-BTW" for $239.00. With shipping the unit arrives at my house for $245.50. But of course there is a difference in the Model #'s. Amazon's is "Laing ACT-303-BTRW AutoCirc Retro-Fit Circulator Pump with line cord, timer, check valve and thermostat" and sells for $295.69 or some fifty bucks more than the unit from Home Depot.

So what I want to know is this; what's the difference between the two units? If it is only a checkvalve, well I can add one in for a lot less than $50. Replies please. Thanx
on September 4, 2010
Exercise extreme caution. I installed the ACT 959-BTW unit one month out of warranty the pump housing burst under the sink while we were away. 80,000 litres (no it is not a typing error)of hot later our house is now required to be totally refitted - every piece of timber and metal in the house has to be replaced and 80% of our house contents have been destroyed by the water, condensation and mould. The damage is beyond belief. We are now homless for about 8 months while the repairs are carried out and the insurance claim is now looking like it will pass $200,000AUD. It has been confirmed that the installation was not at fault.
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2011
Hot water is faster to all taps now. Only problem is getting cold cold water. Water out of the cold tap is lukewarm for quite a while. Not saving any water running the tap to get cold out.