Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on December 30, 2002
I am a huge fan of Christine Feehan, I own all of her books and am anxiously awaiting the release of Dark Symphony.
BUT - Lair of the Lion left me feeling betrayed as an avid reader. I hated the way within minutes of their first time, he withdrew his offer of marriage and told her he would only take her as a mistress and he would take another bride. Could not believe Nicoli would be so heartless to Isabel. I kept hoping she would get away from that jerk. That ruined the book for me. It made the heroince feel used and betrayed. The ending was also not developed enough, no epilogue. Just a final call for the priest did not make up for the humiliation from his withdrawal of marriage.
Although I did not like "Lair of the Lion" I have loved and read and re-read all other Feehan works and have the entire collection of everything she has written. She has real talent and I am anxiously looking forward to her next releases.
on December 1, 2002
First off, let me start by saying that I had read an excerpt from this book a few months before it was actually released. The beginning seemed so good that I pre-ordered the book and checked my mail box every day eagerly awaiting its arrival. However, when the book finally arrived I was left wishing I could send it back. The first parts of the book started off so well, but after that everything just diminished. I give the book one star because the sex scenes did indeed sizzle, but this book is a definite testimony that great sex scenes don't make the book.
The plot was extremely weak. This whole re-write thing of beauty and the beast was tired and boring. Secondly, the curse left a lot to be desired. The constant peril of the heroine became silly by 6 chapter. The hero seemed whiny and tiresome. Overall, the book was boring.... It took me nearly 3 weeks to finally finish the book.
on February 4, 2012
I have read most of Christina Feehans books and enjoyed each of them immensely. This book by far is one of the worst reads I've suffered through in a long time. In fact, I wouldn't have finished the book except I wanted to find out what the malevolent spirit was.
VINE VOICEon October 28, 2008
I have read a number of Beauty and the Beast retellings. It is the ultimate female fantasy. A humble, beautiful, clever, brave, self sacrificing maiden meets a cursed monster and through time and understanding, love conquers all, breaks the evil spell and they live happily ever after.
This retelling is a Gothic twist that makes everything seem overwrought, overdone, convoluted, thick, slow and illogical. I felt I wasted my time reading half of the book. I couldn't force myself to finish.
The descriptions of things and people are repeated over and over again as though the author was paid by the word like the old days. Except the author is not as gifted as Charles Dickens. The wierd way Italian phrases are gratuitously stuck in, here and there, makes me wonder "what was that for?" The "Monster" and his character are standard romance cliches, "legs like oaken trunks" Puleeze! What he says and how he acts are fake gothic and ridiculous. The only person worth anything is the heroine and sometimes, I found her motivations and speech to be repetitive, whiny, illogical and just plain stupid. The rest of the characters in the "palazzo" are straight from a 1930's B movie horror flick. It made me laugh out loud the absurdity of their speech and mannerisms. Maybe a reader in the 19th century would think this was hot stuff, but in 2008, romance readers expect more.
I am going to give C Feehan another chance with her vampire books, but this one went into the recycle bin about 1/2 way through.
on March 31, 2012
I am a big Feehan fan, however this book was just bad. I forced myself to read past the first few chapters and it just got worse. It was juvenile at best and did not showcase her truly wonderful writing.
on October 3, 2008
I loved the Drake Sister's series and was looking for more in the author's other works. Lair of the Lion has what could have been an interesting plot and story line. This book might have been so much more. The prose is just awful and makes a potentially great story into drivel. The dialogue alone is over the top sappy, beyond romantic fantasy and destroys any believability of the characters. The character's personalities are fragmented and disjointed to where they don't seem real. The hero's eyes "blazed" on almost every page. No one, absolutely no one, says the things she has them say. I was very disappointed and her editor did her no favors sending this to print without major revision. I really did like the plot and wish this could be rewritten to make this a better book.
on September 8, 2002
This a beauty and the beast story without much plot or action and absolutely no characterization. On the other hand, once the sex scenes start, they're lusty and frequent, but unforunately not very original.
Probably the most irritating aspect of the book is Feehan's use of italicized Italian words. signora, famiglia, palazzo, aristocratizla, cara....If we are to assume that the characters are speaking Italian, why then would some of their words be in Italian and most in English? Endearments would be one thing, but if I have to read the words 'mio fratelleo' one more time I am going to growl.
I gave it one star because I had to force myself to finish it. And had it been a library book, I would have just taken it back.
I enjoy fantasy plots, but the requisite word here is PLOT, something LAIR OF THE LION lacks.
I used to look forward to Christine Feehan's books. But this is my last one.
0Comment7 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2002
I am a BIG fan of the "Dark" books, but this so-called "Gothic" cannot compare. It takes more than just putting a woman in a long gown and throwing in four or five Italian words to create a sense of time or place.
Lacking a believable world, the characters range from silly to frankly fantastical. There is no tension or suspense or mystery.
A BIG disappointment.
on April 22, 2012
I was disappointed with this book, and as soon as I finished it, sold it on Ebay. I rated it 3 stars only because it's a Christine Feehan novel, and it was good as a suspense novel, but terrible as a romance novel.
on May 10, 2013
It is not one of her more memorable books. I read it ages ago and might...might get it for kindle since it is not pricey.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse