Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lamaze Peek-A-Boo Forest Soft Book
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Color: Peek-a-Boo Forest|Change

on August 20, 2012
The Peek-a-Boo Forest book (designed for ages 6m+) is very cute. Has very bright colors, and peek-a-boo flaps that lift away on each page to reveal a cute animal (e.g. move the tree to see the moose, move the leaf to see the owl, etc.). There are five two-page spreads - each asking "Who is hiding behind the [tree or whatever]?" on the lefthand side, then revealing an animal beneath a crinkly flap on the righthand side. The featured animals are a moose, an owl, a bear family, a raccoon, and a beaver. The front cover also features a bird with a raised, fuzzy, crinkly face. Between the bright colors, the repetitive peek-a-boo activity, and the simple text, this seems very age-appropriate for my 6mo old. And more importantly, he agrees - he loves it!

Note that these books are designed for different ages (the ones targeting older babies have a bit more of a storyline, etc.). Here are the guidelines for all of the different books in the series as given on the packaging:
0m+ Panda's Pals
12m+ Captain Calamari's Treasure Hunt
12m+ Baby on the Go
18m+ Counting Zoo
18m+ Captain Calamari's Color Adventure
33 comments|800 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2011
My baby is 7 months old and he's learning to sit while trying to grab whatever in front of him and put it in his mouth. I bought this book because I wanted to introduce him to a concept of "book" while at the same time let him play or chew on it.
So far, my baby likes this book. He really gets entertained by the different color pages (there are 5 pages), crinkly material and short sentences. Material is really nice, easy to clean - I just toss in the washing machine along w/ all the baby clothes. The thing I like the most about Lamaze is the size; This book is larger than usual cloth book (larger font size as well). So, very nice for clumsy baby hands and developing eyes. At first I thought the book is pretty expensive however after receiving this book in the mail, I think it's worth the price. I even ordered another one of different story.
0Comment|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2011
Soft, colorful book with crinkly peek-a-boo pages. My 3.5 month old hasn't been interested in too many of his toys yet, but he did take to this book immediately! While reading I can see his interest in the colors and the crinkly noise the peek-a-boo pages make. The book is light enough for him to hold and he enjoys putting the pages in his mouth. Cute book and I'm glad he liked it!

Update: 9/12/11
I've washed this book twice so far and no fading or changes! Baby is now 5.5 months and still loves the Peek-A-Boo Forest. In fact, we don't even need the book to entertain him. We just recite the peek-a-boo rhymes whenever baby is down in the dumps (aka: crying in the car) and he perks right up, smiling/giggling at each peek-a-boo mention :)
on April 30, 2012
I bought 3 of Lamaze Cloth Book so this review is kind of comparison between them. I did not know there is age classification each of the cloth books. First, I bought the Tale of Sir Prance-a-Lot (for 12 mo+), the story was made really well, the colorful book itself has different textures almost in every page that my 3 month baby love to touch. Then I bought the Captain Calamari's Treasure Hunt (for 12 mo+), there is no textures at all, only plastic mirror on the last page and crinkly Captain Calamari on the front page. He rarely touch it. I think from the story point of view, this cloth book should be for 6m+ because it is so simple than the first cloth book I bought. Next I decided to give Peekaboo Forest (for 6 mo+) a try. This colorful cloth book has a crinkly material in every page and my now 6 month old baby love it a lot. I will keep the Tale of Sir Prance-a-Lot so I can read to my baby when he is older in the future.
on May 21, 2011
I was so happy to find this book. Finally, a soft, textured book that has more than 2 pages to turn! The soft Priddy books, e.g., Squishy Turtle and Fluffy Chick, have only 2 pages to turn, evidently a downgrade from earlier versions which had an additional page. I'm happy to pay an additional 3-4 dollars if it means getting a more substantive book, as you do with this Lamaze book.

In addition to Peek-A-Boo Forest being highly attractive, the rhymes are very appealing. My near 7-month old son lights up with big smiles when I read the book.

As one review (at this time) mentions, you don't get a variety of textures here, like in the soft Priddy books, but babies really do love the crinkly sound, and there are plenty of other books/toys out there you can buy with multiple textures. What this book lacks in tactile variety it makes up for with quantity of pages and quality of writing/illustrations.

My one complaint (and the reason for downgrading my rating to 4 stars) is that on several pages, the animal is not completely covered by the flap, making the "Peek-a-Boo" aspect not quite as surprising as it should be. The flaps need to be either bigger and/or sewn in a slightly different place to optimize coverage of the animal. The error is particularly egregious on the last page with the beaver. Maybe it's just my copy...
33 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2011
Not the best cloth baby book out there, however the story is cute and the characters are adorable. My reason for three stars is the lack of different textures in this book. if your kid likes crinkly stuff this is all about it, but thats the majority of the textures. I recomend Squishy Turtle and Friends over this because each page in that book has a new tactile sensation.
22 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2013
not impressed...

pros: vibrant colors

cons: hardly any sensory textures, after hand washing it looks like it could use an iron (and since you can't iron this product it just looks flimsy and wrinkly)
on February 13, 2016
Noted literary critic Harold Bloom once opined that, "all Western irony is a repetition of Jesus' enigmas/riddles, in amalgam with the ironies of Socrates." He is surely right that for centuries it has been fashionable for writers to raise more questions than answers, so Peek-a-Boo Forest represents a startling break with tradition. Moreover, what sets this book apart from the canon of contemporary literature is that it is unafraid to reject the notion that there is any paradox within identity, and it accomplishes all this with honesty and remarkable economy.

The opening stanza poses an ontological query that predates humanity itself, "who is hiding behind the spruce?" Rather than resort to pretentious literary contrivances, it immediately answers with the immensely satisfying, "Peek-a-boo, it's the moose." With this earnest, happily-rhymed couplet, it unapologetically promulgates truth with revelatory vigor where instead Shelley or Kafka might have distracted us with clichés. There are no unreliable narrators, hallucinatory ramblings, or veiled social or political satire to unsettle readers with unanswerable questions.

A lesser book might cause students of literature to ask, "if a giant cockroach or a reanimated monster are in a forest and nobody knows anything about it except for what's on sparknotes.com, is the paper still due Monday?" Instead, Peek-a-Boo Forest reminds us that we're trying too hard. It's bed time, people. Chill out and look at the pretty pictures.

It does not seek to disguise its adherence to literal empiricism. To be sure, the prose is sparse and undecorated, with nary an adjective or or an adverb in sight. Still, the setting is richly decorated, not with McCarthy's scripted landscapes but with actual embroidery in place of the opaque imprecision of relying on descriptions of place and setting for exposition. Instead, the authors have layered in auditory texture to ground us. When you squeeze the folding tabs, they crinkle with a crispness evocative of pine needles crushed beneath a heavy boot, transporting the reader to locations neatly aligned with the book's title.

To be sure, the paucity of narrative in this book tips its hat to Beckett, but it manages to avoid saddling the reader with existential angst. Animal characters come and go without explanation, but the recurring lietmotifs of owls and the moon invite some speculation about the meaning of the passage of time in the wild.

The profundity of its treatment of nature invites inevitable comparison to the work of Jack London. The Call of the Wild invited us to imagine, "listening to the subdued and sleepy murmurs of the forest, reading signs and sounds as a man may read a book, and seeking for the mysterious something that called -- called, waking or sleeping, at all times, for him to come." But only Peek-a-Boo Forest can reveal that "the mysterious something" is in fact a moose, and in so doing, it fulfills its purpose with a concision that exceeds all writers who have tackled the subject before.

One may say that the lack of any discernible moral arc in Peek-a-Boo Forest is a deficiency, but consider that it is mercifully bereft of the tedious ecological proselytizing that makes Walden such a chore. It asks you to know truth and nothing more.

While the ending is certainly abrupt, the richly colored pages may cause you to linger and return. Also, the fact that my daughter can gnaw on it for hours at a time leaving it none the worse for wear suggests this book has both a thematic and a physical durability that can withstand the ages. Try finding an edition of Shakespeare that's machine washable! And when she's done absorbing its message, it can be repurposed as as a pot holder.
on January 12, 2011
This book is great with bright colors, great crinkle textures for baby to touch on each page, and a cute peek-a-boo short story. My baby LOVES the Lamaze animal's/people's large eyes! I think this is a book that she will really enjoy well into the next 6-12 mo (she's 14 weeks old right now).
on February 12, 2013
Be careful when washing this and letting your kid gnaw on it - we found that the ink was coming out as our little one was biting it! Can't have that... taking it away until she's old enough to know not to eat it.