5.0 out of 5 stars Most favorite!
Published on December 6, 2011 by bfly_gal

3.0 out of 5 stars Good toy but doesn't hang well in crib
Published on January 21, 2012 by Alexis

5.0 out of 5 stars Most favorite!, December 6, 2011
This review is from: Lamaze High-Contrast Discovery Shapes Activity Puzzle & Crib Gallery (Baby Product)
My baby is 5 months old and since day 1, he has loved this more than any other toy, rattle, anything he could look at and play with. I don't know what his fascination is with this little book, but this was the BEST money ever spent. He can spend 30 minutes just looking at this, pulling at the things that come out, and seeing what happens. it is amazing! This is a must purchase! This goes with him daily to grandma's house (she keeps him while we work). I thought he would get bored with it, but he is now actually pulling the little animals out of their place. He has looked at this since he we got him home from the hospital. We would keep it on the black and white side a lot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good toy but doesn't hang well in crib, January 21, 2012
Alexis (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
Visually, this toy is a hit with my 4 month old. We hung it in his crib so that he could occupy himself (which gives us a couple extra minutes of sleep in the morning). Unfortunately it does not hang as well in the crib as I thought it would. If you face the black and white side so that he can see it, the ties are at the top and it hangs just fine. However in order to have the colorful animal side face out, the ties are at the bottom which makes the entire thing tilt at an angle. It doesn't seem to bother my son but all they had to do is add a second set of ties and this would be the perfect crib toy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Visual Toy, October 28, 2011
My baby son enjoyed this toy from his second month up until now, his fifth month. I hang it over the sofa while nursing so that he has a pattern to look at. I displayed the black and white pattern side the first 2 months and in the past month started showing the big eyed animal pictures. My son loves them, he focuses on each of the pictures separately, studies the details and after finishing his nursing he starts smiling and cooing at the little figures. It looks like he has developed some sort of communication with the little faces he sees on the pads. The padded material is easy to display or hang anywhere, horizontally and vertically and is easy to wash. I would highly recommend it for developing a baby's visual skills. It says the black and white pattern is for earlier months and the other side with animal heads is for 6 months and later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for baby, October 8, 2010
I was looking for a toy for my 5 week old son. A toy that would stimulate and meet his growing curiosity without being too visually overwhelming. The moment he saw this toy, he loved it and could hardly take his eyes off it. I've put it standing up on one side of his play gym and he spends most of his time just starring and "talking" to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great attention grabber, April 26, 2010
HMR (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This is a great item to grab your little one's interest. I have used it in the crib and pack and play to help stimulate him and keep him occupied. It's nice because one side is black and white visualizations and the other side has puzzle like pieces that fit into their homes. The "puzzle pieces" flip over to the black and white side to create even more visual stimulation for him. Definitely recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Daughter does not play with it, January 30, 2013
Richmond Hicks (Cambridge, MA, US) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a present for my 9 month old daughter based on the reviews I saw here on Amazon, but I have to admit I am somewhat disappointed in the toy. The shapes do not fit into the spaces well and the toy in general does not seem to interest her. She has about a dozen books, some cardboard and some cloth, and likes to play with most of them but never this one. Perhaps it is intended for a younger child, but I would suggest going with one of the soft books that has a story and has activities (flaps to lift etc.) on each page. Her favorite is the Lamaze Peek-A-Boo Forest which is also available from Amazon:

4.0 out of 5 stars a little too late, September 7, 2011
i should have gotten this earlier instead of later. i put this up in her playard and she'll cruise over to it and yank on the animals but that's about it. she quickly got bored with it. she's much more into bells and other things that she can hold and manipulate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning toy for newborn and up, January 21, 2012
This is a great product and a great price. I was really looking for a learing toy for at the time my 1 and a half month old and im glad I found this. He loved looking at the black and white side right when I held it in front of him.It keeps his interest and he thinks its funny. Now that he is 3 months old he likes to reach for the puzzle pieces and when I put them in his hand he likes to chew on them, which is just fine on them. He also really likes to watch us put the puzzle pieces in and out of there place. They stay in good when they are put in and all make a differant little noise or squeak. I would recommend this for any newborn, its a great 1st learning toy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dud with flaws, July 17, 2013
As others have said, the puzzle pieces do not fit into their spaces. That totally ruins half the purpose of this toy. And you cannot tie it to the crib with the animal scenes right side up. I laid it flat in my sons crib so he could play with it and it just took up space. I bought it because the concept of a soft puzzle for crib play was good, but it didn't work very well. If you want a book, buy a book, but I would not recommend this. Lamaze makes a soft book with the same animals as used in this toy, called Peekaboo Forest, and it is really useful and cute.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy with longevity, December 1, 2012
Jennifer M. Nation (Charleston, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my newborn baby for visual stimulization and to use in the future for vocabulary development and beginning puzzle skills.

Ages: newborn to 1ish
Description: Two-sided, four panels--one side has various black and white patterns to catch a newborn's eyes. The other side is brightly colored with animal habitats and a cut out hole in the shape of a basic shape.
There are brightly colored animals that can be used on either side to add another visual element when little and later to use as a basic puzzle.
The entire toy can be tied to the crib or held in an older child's lap.

Utility: I'm actually surprised how much my newborn watches it and "talks" to it when she is in her crib. The black and white really seems to catch her eye. The puzzle aspect may prove to be a little difficult later because the animal pieces have to be forced into their places in order to stay (the reason I took off one star).

Overall, a great starter toy for newborns, and the fact that it is a toy that can grow with baby is great as well.