Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lamaze Soft Sorter
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on June 25, 2008
I love this shape sorter. My little guy is now 10 months and he understands that the shapes go into the box, and can do this with a little help as he hasn't yet figured out that the shapes are different and that they match the colour of the material on the corresponding side of the box. I also love that is does not take batteries, and is relatively quiet so I can take it on the plane when I go home to keep him occupied. It is all soft made of material and has 4 different shapes to sort. There are some small sounds. It is well made, well designed and very good value for money. Highly recommended.
on October 17, 2007
I love this toy, but my daughter (9 months old) is not quite ready for it yet. She plays with the pieces (the triangle, square, etc.), but she can't yet figure out how to put the pieces into the box. I love how soft the whole toy is though and I know that she will enjoy learning the shapes and colors once she is a bit older.
on March 11, 2012
The problem with this product is that a baby can just stuff the shapes into the wrong slots as they are soft. It does not hold them back the way a plastic version would, so how are they supposed to learn their shapes? Also, the lid on the top is very prominent, so my son either puts the shapes in through that way, or just stuffs them through the wrong hole. Plus, the shapes are big so that they fill up the inside quickly, making it hard to fit them in all together (even when going through the correct hole). At first I thought that when he got older he would use it properly, but now my son is 15 months and I just don't see that happening. The fabric is nicely sewed and vibrant, however. It was nice to roll the shapes and shake them when he was younger, but now it is useless to me and I will have to buy a plastic one. Wish I knew this before, now it is another toy lying around.
on May 15, 2011
This toy is safe, fun, and cute. The fabric patterns are attractive and stylish (not as cheesy as in some baby toys) and it's one less hard-sided toy for baby to smack her head on when she falls. I had looked at the hard-sided sorters, but this one has another aspect. Each shape has a different "trick" or sound. One is crinkly, one has bell in it, one has a squeaker in it, etc. There are also textures on the box that the baby can feel, as well. The sides of the box also have a color that corresponds with the shape, so the child can match it by either shape or color. Since the sides are made of fabric, if the baby doesn't get the shape in JUST right, it still goes through. With the plastic ones sometimes it's hard for babies to get it in just right and they get frustrated. I was worried that the top velcro-open flap would be too difficult to open, but my one-year old figured out how to open it on the first try. She thinks it's also fun to put other toys in the top and take them out. With so many rattles and toys made of plastic, I think this is a great addition to any toybox, as it brings more variety of textures and materials for baby to explore.
When I began babysitting my oldest grandson (almost 7 years ago!) while Mom worked, it was getting expensive trying to build up a supply of toys for each new stage of his development, and I always considered it SUCH a blessing that my sister-in-law - whose son was 6 months older than my grandson - also happened to be a shop-a-holic in a much better financial situation than I, who would frequently pass along to me the toys my nephew had grown "tired of" (hmmm... wonder if HE was tired of them, or she just had to make room for the newest batch?) Although it was obviously quite a while back, and they've changed the cloth patterns of this soft sorter, I've now used this with THREE grandsons, and it's still in terrific shape!

Nothing like soft playthings for easing a grandma's mind when it comes to a baby's first toys, and I used this nice cube (@ 7" square, give or take) mostly for peek-a-boo at first, sometimes putting my hand inside and popping it out of the top to surprise them (like a jack-in-the-box) and reach up to give them a little tickle. The shapes are made of a combo of cloth and velour-type fabrics, and nice for them to grab hold on and - of course! - put right into their mouths to explore, as all babies do! (No worries as far as swallowing or choking - they're much too large for a baby/toddler to actually put all the way into their mouths.) Since both the shapes and the cube are so soft and pliable, a youngster can actually put any shape into any hole with little effort... I used this mainly to teach patterns - ours has little triangles, flowers, zebra stripes, swirly designs (that we called "whirly-doodles"), and vine-y looking symbols (that we called "curly cues"), and eventually they would catch onto "stripes go into stripes", etc.

The lid of the cube makes a crinkly sound that babies always love, the round ball make a rattling sound (the oval has no sound feature, but - unfortunately - I can't tell you if the triangle or square do since they didn't arrive with our hand-me-down - seems a piece or two was always missing, but such is the nature of hand-me-downs, and I'm not complaining a bit - just so grateful to have more toy options!) Any toy we bring into our home has always been used in ways they weren't actually intended... this cube has been a frequent hiding place during our games of hide and seek with things like little food items at snack time, not to mention something soft to throw at Grandpa to wake him up when he falls asleep in his recliner and snores too loud!
on August 18, 2014
Lamaze makes the best toys for babies hands down. I like that their toys are soft so when children accidentally hit themselves in the face or someone else due to their lack of coordination that no one gets hurt. After mom testing these with my children, I have now bought them for several other friends who were expecting and they have told me that they now love Lamaze toys too.
on December 26, 2009
I have to say this toy is great. It's the first thing she has really grabbed hold of and spent time playing with - at 3 months, she's not really doing much else except lying on her mat looking up at the lights on the ceiling. But... it smells SO STRONGLY! It's not like perfume, more like Glade Air freshener, the cheapest, nastiest smelling sort, or maybe some horrible bath salts your great aunt bought you years ago that you still have because you can't bear to give them away but that you have to hide deep in a cupboard because they smell so hideously bad. REALLY synthetic and really overpowering. And even if you wash it in the washing machine, as we did, it doesn't go away, it seems to intensify, like there's something horrible inside bit in there that keeps releasing its own Glade smell. In these times, when I worry about perfume and cleaning products and basically any excess chemicals that don't need to be around my baby in all her newness and purity, because we are a little doolally like all new parents and starting to worry about cancer and autism and god only knows what else.. it upsets me to be giving her something that so blatantly honks. That, for me, overrides the ingeniousness of the toy.
on January 30, 2015
he's finally figured out how it works and he loves it ! He loves to shake it around and find all the different shapes and then each shape has different colors and textures and sounds :) it's his favorite :)
on January 15, 2013
We gave this to our son at 5 months, and he still uses at 18 months. The shapes have different noises/textures, so it keeps them interested. There are variable levels of interaction - when he was little, he just wanted to shake the shapes to hear the noise. Now that he's older, he likes filling it up and dumping them out. It's a great toy that will provide your child variable interaction as they grow.
on January 15, 2011
My son has played with this shape sorter from about 7 months old and until now (2 years). How he plays with the sorter has changed has he has gotten older. When he was younger, yes he had a hard time getting the shapes into the correct place. The sorter just collapsed when he tried to shove it in the wrong hole. However, he has played with it in other ways and loved putting any sort of toy into the sorter and emptying it (when he was younger). Also, before he could match the shapes, he just played with the various balls, which are colorful and each makes a gentle noise (rattle, crinkle, squeak). Now he just likes to throw the cloth balls (which I appreciate as they are not hard).

See 1 answered question