5.0 out of 5 stars Baby's Best Friend
Jacques is one of Lamaze's best offerings! The peacock is light enough - and the feather panels thin enough - for little hands to grab, tug and pick up without easily dropping. The feather panels also provide several chewable surfaces for little ones who love to put everything in their mouth.

The shape of this toy also makes it easy to tuck into a car seat...
Published on July 2, 2007 by Susie G. Everett

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning
A Personal Warning to all who have this baby toy by Lamaze. (Stretch The Giraffe)
PLEASE READ!!

Published on May 12, 2008 by M. Windham

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby's Best Friend, July 2, 2007
This review is from: Lamaze Play & Grow Jacques the Peacock Take Along Toy (Baby Product)

The shape of this toy also makes it easy to tuck into a car seat. While a lot of toys seem to fall out of the car seat once baby starts playing with them, the flatness of the feather panels and the flat bottom of the peacock body seem to help this toy stay in the seat. Also, the feather panels are easy for baby to reach out for an edge, grab and pull back into reach.

For these reasons, we made our peacock a "car only" toy so that our little one, who was not fond of car travel at 4 months, would have something he liked in the car. This toy was an immediate favorite even before our little one really became interested in these types of toys.

The back of the peacock feathers have different black and white panels which makes the toy interesting even when the toys happens to be upside down. The cute face and large eyes appealed to our little guy and were worthy of cues and smiles - a friend indeed. I could not be happier with this toy. Our favorite Lamaze character!

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanity, January 31, 2010
M. Lyon (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I've never written a review for any baby toys before, but I'm going to make an exception for Jacques. We call him Pierre the Peacock, because alliteration is more fun than consonance, but I digress.

As far as our 5-month-old is concerned, Jacques is the greatest thing that has ever existed. Our son goes absolutely insane at the mere sight of Jacques. Even a month ago, when he was not such a grabby baby, he wanted to touch all parts of Jacques simultaneously. With great intensity, he wants to stare at Jacques and never look away; he wants to squeak and scream and laugh at Jacques as loud as he can. His love for Jacques is metaphysical.

In fact, if it was possible to be a little too excited by a toy, Jacques might potentially fit that bill. Sometimes our son is overwhelmed by his excitement for Jacques. Jacques is baby cocaine.

Our only complaint is that we wish Jacques was machine-washable. He fell on the garage floor and got very dirty, and now our son spends his days in a deep, Jacques-less, existential depression. C'est la vie...

5.0 out of 5 stars Lamaze makes great toys, May 17, 2007
Around 10 weeks, my baby finally started noticing the Lamaze toys we had around the house - we had the Emily doll first - and now that is her ultimate favorite toy. I just purchased Jacques for her, and she loves him too. The back of the toy is patterns of black and white fabric, and has the crinkly sound babies seem to love. Each of the "feathers" has a different interest point - a squeaker, a soft bulb, a mirror, and satin touch ribbons. This is a really great deal, too - Babies R Us sells the same toy for $12.99 as of today.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning, May 12, 2008
PLEASE READ!!

I LOVED this giraffe..this thing is the cutest toy ever and I had placed this on my wish list for my baby shower last May. Well..I ended up receiving the giraffe from a good friend of mine for my baby shower like I had wanted. My son had only played with it maybe twice since he's been born, so it's still pretty brand new.

My son is 10 months old now, and we just moved to a new house last week, so I re introduced him to stretch yesterday, (still in super new condition) and he had been sitting in his highchair playing with him, chewing and biting on him as most babies will do with their toys. It's to be expected.

I was upstairs unpacking, my son was in his highchair next to my husband while he washed dishes when my son started choking!!

He was choking on the white stuffing inside the toys foot! He had managed to chew the thing until it became unstitched at the seams and that's when the stuffing began to fill his mouth. He must have swallowed a majority of what he had in his mouth. Needless to say, it was a frightening moment for all of us!!

UGH! I am just so disappointed and now concerned for anyone else's children who may have this toy!

Upon close inspection of this toy after the fact, I noticed that the stitching is very poor. Not nearly strong enough to withstand the mouth of a teething baby! I noted other parts of the giraffes seams and stitching where it has signs of also beginning to become unstitched!

The very worst part is the fact that had my son gone un noticed and not attended to right away, he could have very well choked completely, or the round small plastic squeaker (also inside the same foot he opened) could have also come out and easily become lodged inside his throat! In fact there are multiple "perfectly sized pieces" including a small round ball rattle, a more flat circular shaped rattle and the disc shaped squeaker (the one my son almost managed to get out) inside each foot. Again..they are very poorly secured inside the giraffe and are a major choking hazard! I hate to think of how many babies go to bed with this toy and are possibly left alone with it when they wake up in the morning or after a nap. Parent unsuspecting, because these toys made by learning curve are supposed to be designed with safety in mind. Safety being what Learning Curves number one priority is. I would have never have thought to check those details since I was convinced this toy or any toy designed by a big name baby toy company was undoubtedly safe to let my baby play with.

This toy needs to be recalled ASAP! I have contacted Learning Curve /Lamaze RC2 department regarding this serious issue, and Stretch the Giraffe is on his way back to them for inspection. I have no doubt they will issue a recall. If I were you...and just to warn parents ahead of time..please refrain from buying stretch for now! Or if you have him already, take him away from your baby...especially babies with teeth!

In an effort to make me, the consumer happy, they offered me a new toy and that's on it's way now, but in reality, is that really enough? Or does that make up for the fact that we watched our little son choke and go through that trauma? Imagining the scenario if we had not been right there to help him...would the new toy suffice? It's horrifying imagining the things that COULD have happened and Thank God that didn't.

In addition I am going to be weary of the new toy and I am not even sure he will play with it until I inspect every inch of it, and now I need to sit with him every second while he plays with in fear that some little thing could go wrong in a toy that has been deemed safe from a reputable company I have grown to love and trust. I just believe this is an honest mistake but a serious issue that was grossly overlooked. I know that Learning Curve will do the right thing in the end.

I will never send my son to bed nor leave him to play with ANY toy, stuffed animal, or object ever again for fear that he will wake up, be alone and begin innocently teething while I am still asleep, and something similar to this may happen. It's a good thing that wasn't the case this time.
Please parents...check the babies toys! You just never know!!

Forward this to all your friends who you think may have this toy, may buy it, are expecting a baby, have infants and small children.

-Tiffany

5.0 out of 5 stars My baby loves it, April 19, 2007
My 4 month old loves it, and has loved it since he was around 3 months old. I hang it from his bassinet, the toy bar on his stroller/car seat, and the toybar on his swing. It always catches his interest and as he's growing he's discovering new things about it. That the feet make sounds or feel crunchy, etc. It's great to watch him engage a toy like this. It's the first one that he had interest in, and the longest-lasting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as easy to grab, November 22, 2009
We have both the Lamaze Jacques the Peacock and the Lamaze Freddie the Firefly. The baby instantly took to the firefly absolutely loving it from 3 months to 6 months. The peacock was much harder for him to hang on to and despite being similar in style was ignored. If I had a choice I would go for the firefly instead... Lamaze Freddie the Firefly

5.0 out of 5 stars I heart Rusty, January 11, 2012
First of all, I want to state that I expected Rusty to be a few inches tall- he's huge! It made me that much happier because the details and colors are that much better. I bought it for my 4 month old nephew but my 2 1/2 year old nephew has made claim to it. He loves that the head spins. He loans it to his little brother when he cries and the baby just hugs it and laughs. Rusty is even cuter than pictured and apparently it's not just for babies! I highly recommend this toy. Not to mention the price is right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy!, August 2, 2007
We had one of these before and it was my sons favorite toy. It got lost and if anyone said 'giraffe' he would start looking around for it. We bought a replacement and he is as happy as ever! The colors, the noises, he loves it all!

2.0 out of 5 stars Jacques Peacock, February 6, 2011
This is such a well designed toy. Our 4 month old loves it. He can easily grasp the loop handle. The vibrant colors catch his eye and each time I bring it to him he smiles. The wings make a nice crunch crunch sound. There are many things on Jacques that stimulate baby's senses. My only concern is he muches on the wings and the loop. Not sure if the loop is BPA and phthalates free. Otherwise, a very well designed toy to stimulate your child's senses.

**Update** I still love the vibrant colors and crinkly feel of this toy. However, I did some research about its safety b/c I was concerned that our son kept putting all parts of it into his mouth and sucking on it. I was disturbed to find out on the goodguide.com that the product contains antimony. According to Wikipedia, "antimony and many of its compounds are toxic, and the effects of antimony poisoning are similar to arsenic poisoning. Inhalation of antimony dust is harmful and in certain cases may be fatal; in small doses, antimony causes headaches, dizziness, and depression."

This is the link to the goodguide.com's review. They sometimes do in-house testing but also have a third party do chemical testing on the products that they review.

[...]

I called learningcurve to ask them them what they thought about this and whether the product contained antimony and the customer representative just named off a list of what the product was made of. I asked her about the goodguide review and she said that she can't say what they put on the product when it was tested or how they tested. She said the company meets all industry and federal standards and the product is safe.

I don't know who to believe. So, when in doubt, I must say goodbye to Jacques.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy!, November 4, 2007
Robia G. Pautler (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
We saw this in Babies-R-Us and our little baby couldn't stop laughing when she saw it. I think it's the combination of the BIG EYES, the squeaker in one of the wings, the mirror in another wing, the krinkly sounds and the bright colors.

The hook on top is useful for hanging from the carseat or from the swing -- however, if you are just trying to make Jacque dance for your baby, the hook kind of gets in the way but that is a minor note.

Overall, I highly recommend Jacque -- she has not tired of him yet and everytime she sees good ol' Jacque, her face lights up and she babbles at him.