5.0 out of 5 stars This is the workhorse of my pen collection
First, let me say that I love fountain pens--all types, but especially Sheaffers. A colleague of mine turned me on to Lamy pens and they've become my workhorses.

Published on November 20, 2005 by P. Sawyer

2.0 out of 5 stars What is all the hype about?
According to many reviews I expected a fountain pen that has an awesome smooth and flexible nib. What I got is a fountain pen that writes just ok and easily scratches if you change your writing angle slightly. On top of it you have to put pressure on the nib fairly often in order to make the ink flow. The one that I got delivered had scratches on the nib which bothered me...
Published 18 months ago by Florian. S

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the workhorse of my pen collection, November 20, 2005

I teach English so I grade many, many papers and I refuse to write with a boring pen. I used to use my antique shaeffers until a student almost dropped one. I had to have a daily pen that was, well, near disposable. I remembered the Lamy and ordered a Safari. Now, if something happens to it, I don't have a stroke. Plus, the broad nib has a wonderful ink flow!

I give them as gifts. They are a good pen to start using as they are very forgiving.

Do they write as well as my older pens? Nope. Are they more user-friendly? Yup. (Think mid 60's Jaguar E-Type versus 2005 Honda Civic. Which is more fun to drive? Which would you drive to the grocery store? Get my point?)

Bottom line: It is a $25 pen that you'll use more than your $100+ antique pens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Medium-point fountain pens are automatic handwriting improvers, March 12, 2007
This is one of the best fountain pens under $50 USD, for fountain pen novices or for experienced fountain pen users. This is not a calligraphy pen, but the "medium" point (like a broad ballpoint, or maybe even a bit wider than that) forces you to write larger letter sizes and improve your handwriting. The grip is comfy, and it "forces" you to treat your writing wrist well.

4.0 out of 5 stars great buy, December 15, 2004
any of the lamy pens are near indestructible and offer a smooth write for their price. it's certainly no DuPont but its a great pen (especially for someone's first fountain pen)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pen, Great Buy!, March 8, 2010
This review is from: Lamy Safari Fountain Pen, Charcoal Medium Nib (L17M) (Office Product)
I've been writing with fountain pens since the age of six (no, I'm not kidding -- when I was in grade school in Germany, we were taught to write only with fountain pens), so after quite a few decades I consider myself an experienced user. I don't do calligraphy but use fountain pens exclusively for taking notes. I prefer a medium nib that writes smoothly. My favorite pens so far have been my old Geha from my school days and a cheap Sheaffer that writes like a dream. I also have a Pelikan that scratches horribly despite its expensive gold nib. Today I got my Lamy Safari, and it prompted me to write my first review. You could say it was "love at first stroke!" The pen is lightweight plastic with a slightly rough surface and very comfortable to grip. It is not the prettiest with its rather bland industrial look, but the smooth writing experience more than makes up for its lack of looks. This is my new favorite pen. I'm very pleased with this purchase and the way the pen writes. Not at all what I expected for $25!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful pen, January 23, 2010
I'm a journalist/Public Affairs type and so write a lot. My finished product, I type on a computer, but my thoughts I always write out long-hand. This pen is a wonderful writing experience. I have only used it for three days, but I find it fits my hand perfectly. I laid it on my desk and walked away for about 30 minutes, and someone decided they liked the pen also and nicked it. When I find out who it is, I'll suggest they write a review after they recover.

There is a happy ending. I am ordering another pen and that will make two new happy Lamy pen users in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars First and definitely not last fountain pen I'll own!!!, December 14, 2008
I read all the reviews regarding this pen and decided to make the purchase. Once I received and began using it, I was amazed at how smooth and comfortable it was to use. It looks great and simple and it serves its purpose. I would recommend buying either a refill cartridge or the converter to use refillable ink since I used it up within a week (of heavy use of course!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - very pleased, November 26, 2007
I bought the Lamy Safari medium nibbed fountain pen after seeing my numerous Flickr friends using them to draw & write, all while claiming that they like the Lamy better than their much more expensive fountain pens.

It seemed like an inexpensive way to try a "real" fountain pen as opposed to the wet writer Pilot Varsity disposable I had been using. I bought the Lamy ink converter, so I could fill the pen with the famed Bulletproof Black Noodlers ink Noodlers Polar Black Bulletproof Eel Fountain Pen Ink to write in my Moleskine Moleskine Ruled Reporter Notebook journal, as well as do ink drawings & watercolor washes on watercolor paper.

Many people claim that the Lamy's don't bleed or feather in the Moleskines, but through additional research, it seems to depend on the particular paper lot of the Moleskines. So far, I personally have not had a problem with bleeding or feathering with the medium nibbed Lamy Safari in any of my Moleskine journals, or the Moleskine Cahiers. Ruled Cahier

I loved this Lamy so much, (the tip is as smooth as writing with a soft tipped pencil), that I just bought another one, with a fine nib and a bottle of Waterman Blue-Black ink.

PS - I am using the regular Noodlers black ink as opposed to the Polar. Amazon didn't have a link for the regular ink.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lamy Safari Fountain Pen, March 2, 2009
This is the second Lamy Safari fountain pen (medium nib) I've bought for myself. They are good value for the price, lay down a good line and write relatively smoothly. The one problem I've encountered in both pens is that they leak out of the nib if stored on their side or cap end down, when I use them with the optional converter. I have not had a problem with them as long as I store them cap end up.

5.0 out of 5 stars 12 Years Later, I'm on # 3 and 4. Charcoal body has Great Texture, March 16, 2010
I've bought Watermans and a few others. Almost without exception the companies other than Lamy are designing their fountain pens with Victorian or pseudo-Modern/pseudo-contemporary design principles. I think the point that's lost is that these pens are not only far from obsolete, but in some ways the most functional of all the pens. I was introduced to the Safari as a student in Art & Architecture at Virginia tech. An odd thing, I thought. But with the Fountain, you get the most control over the line. For drawing, they are very useful, also for writing. I write a lot in notebooks when I'm not directly writing into the word processor I use fountains. And i'm telling you the physical connection between the pen, the paper & the hand matters. But in any case, though these pens are thought to be a throw-back, inferior technology & the users sappy nostalgics or at best eccentrics, Lamy is not so foolish.

Lamy's fountains are very modern and have been since the 2000 fountain transformed the company. The Safari is one of the best. And in one sense I can't say the 2000 is better. Sure, it's got a gold nib (platinum coated too) and feels better than any pen I've held in my hand, but I don't dare take it out with me, and this is a nice point to bring in the clip. If you lose pens this clip will likely save you. Attach it to the most convenient part of your clothing but not to a book cover; you'll bend it out.

This particular body: the charcoal goes pretty far back. If you want a textured feeling go with the charcoal. All of the others are made with a shinier plastic and are extremely smooth in texture. My first was a charcoal and I recently bought one more.

Nib size: it is pretty well known that Lamy nibs run a bit big, but I wouldn't even rule out the broad nib. That's what I've got in the charcoal now. The ink flows much more smoothly than medium nibbed Safari and is not too broad. People say parker this, parker that. If you're looking for a great design that you'll use all of the time, buy this. And if you're looking for a perfect writing instrument, I'd recommend the Lamy 2000 even over the more expensive models. But there's no accounting for taste.

Note on the broad nibs. The broad nib takes a while to break in. The biggest mistake is to bear down on it because the ink won't flow for a second. You'll prematurely split the nib (something that is only okay after the nib is fully broken in and springy). You'll likely avoid an initial battle with the flow if you buy m nib or finer, but the broad nib flows the freest when flowing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Pen I ever owned, January 25, 2009
I wanted to start back writing with fountain pens,after doing research on this pen it was the best one for me.I ordered this in medium (nib),based on the quality of paper the pen ink spreads out sometimes more than it suppose to.

I ended up purchasing a fine nib again because a fine writes like medium in ball point pens.i often travel with the two together.