Published on July 20, 2008 by Reverend Aaron

3.0 out of 5 stars No Good for Lefties
Published on April 9, 2009 by Bob Fischer

5.0 out of 5 stars Lamy's Safari- one of the best values in fountain pens around!, July 20, 2008
This review is from: Lamy Safari Fountain Pen - Charcoal - Fine (Office Product)
Somehow, I find some humor in the fact that this pen is so well rated, yet most reviewers take care to point out that it isn't the prettiest, most overpriced, or fanciest pens around. Unlike many companies, Lamy makes pens and pencils. They don't use pretentious euphemisms for pens like those other companies, nor do they charge 10x-100x what the pens are worth. They do make awesome pens like the Safari, which are indestructible and feel good in the hand, and they make some incredibly smooth nibs.

The Safari does make an awesome starter fountain pen, but it's a starter pen that'll last you your entire life. I recommend a Fine or Medium nib if you're new to a fountain pens. You can even buy spare nibs for the Lamy so that you can swap between different sizes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Check out this Pen with your Own Two Eyes, March 17, 2011
Length:: 0:58 Mins

Check out this video review to see just how the Lamy Safari Fine writes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best starter fountain pen on the market, March 3, 2010
The Safari is the entry-level "school" fountain pen in Lamy's product line, and it shares the attributes of most Lamy pens: they're functional, sturdy, and entirely unpretentious. Most low-end fountain pens from other manufacturers are either cheaper versions of their more expensive models, or intentionally tarted up to look like more expensive pens (Waterman's Phileas with its faux art deco styling and printed marbling pattern comes to mind.) The Safari, on the other hand, is a clean, simple, and unadorned original design.

The construction of the Safari is bulletproof. It's made of ABS plastic, the nib is a steel point that's very easy to swap out, and both the Lamy standard cartridge and the optional converter hold a ton of ink. The clip is a bent wire, like an oversized paper clip, and when you put a Safari in your pocket, it'll stay right where you placed it. The Lamy steel nib is somewhat of a standard among their pens--the same nib that's on the Safari can be found on their more expensive Studio, Accent, CP1, and half a dozen other models. It just pulls straight off the feed for cleaning or replacement, and you can swap it out in five seconds for a different size. (The standard Lamy nib is inexpensive and comes in many nib sizes, from extra-fine to broad, and they even make calligraphy versions in three different widths.)

For a starter pen, the Safari represents the best value on the market. The nibs are uniformly good, the pen is damn near impossible to kill (it was designed for rough-and-tumble school use), and it can be had in many different colors. With the optional converter, you can use the many bottled inks out there, which is half the fun of writing with a fountain pen. Many fountain pen aficionados have started with a Safari, and many who did still have theirs as part of their pen rotation, because they're so tough and useful.

A note on colors and textures: the Charcoal version of the Safari has a slightly rough finish, which some people prefer over the slicker plastic finish of all the other Safaris because it's less slippery. Also, the Safari's section (the part you have your fingers on) is indented into a triangular shape to steer your fingers into the proper orientation for fountain pen writing. Most users are fine with it, but some don't like the Safari's slightly unorthodox section.

For around $30, you get a first-rate fountain pen that will hold its own against pens of three or five times the Safari's price point. It's a very utilitarian design, without a bit of "bling" on it, but when it comes to entry-level fountain pens, I can't think of a better pick for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite fountain, but the one I always carry!, January 21, 2008
The Lamy Safari is not my favorite fountain pen. However, this is the only pen that I always have with me. Well, I actually have the clear version as well, so I always have one of those two with me. The quality of the nib is excellent and writes very well. It feels OK in your hand - not as nice as some of "finer" pens, but nice. It used to be that I kept my fountain pens at my desk and carried around a ball point pen clipped to my shirt. The reason was the price - I didn't want to risk losing a pen by leaving it somewhere. That changed when I discovered this pen. I still don't want to lose it, but at this price, I am willing to risk it. The payoff is having a very good fountain pen with me for whenever I need to write.

I recommend this pen for someone first fountain pen, or for a fountain pen lover who wants an excellent "every day" pen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Montblanc, but very nice., January 2, 2007
TominVA (Stafford, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Bought a cheap Cross many years ago just to see if I liked fountain pens. Cheap it was, and my interest died. Desperate for stocking stuffer ideas, I put this on my wish list after reading the wopping two other reviews.

Writes very well, and seems well built and durable. As a fountain pen novice, I didn't realize the ink was not waterproof - d'oh! I need durable ink. Bought the converter (available on Amazon) and Noodlers Bullet Proof Black both direct from WorldLux site. Works great - ink's topsoil ran under the tap, but that's all. The writing remains and highly legible.

No instructions for any of the above, but all fairly idiot proof.

Bottom line: a quality introduction to fountain pens at a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this pen - smoother than my Mont Blanc!!!, March 25, 2008
I decided to switch to a fountain pen for ecological reasons (maybe that was just the excuse I needed to justify the expense). The last fountain pen I owned was a Mont Blanc I had treated myself to after graduating some 25 years ago. That pen was very scratchy and turned me off on fountain pens in general. I was hesitant about buying another fine point after the experience with the Mont Blanc, but the reviews were so good, I thought I'd give it a try. This pen is incredibly smooth. I ordered the pen (cool white color), converter refill and some Noodler's ink from Pencity.com. Their price was great, they had everything I needed and the customer service was wonderful!!!

I was so happy with this pen, I ordered the medium point because I often prefer a slightly bolder stroke. I think it is a great pen and the low price is just a bonus. This pen is perfect for my writing style. It's a little bolder than the fine point but not too bold. Writes even more smoothly than the fine point (didn't think that was possible).

A PLUS for the fine point - good pen to keep in a purse, because of the fine line it can write on any quality paper and still be readable.

3.0 out of 5 stars No Good for Lefties, April 9, 2009
I love Lamy products, and this really is a very nice pen - if I were right-handed, I'd give it five stars. However, the lefties out there should know that the grips on this pen force you to hold it a sub-optimal angle. The result is that it doesn't feel nearly as smooth as it would otherwise, and it doesn't write nearly as consistently. You can ignore the grips, but then the pen is not comfortable for more than a few lines. This is very, very unfortunate, since it certainly one of the best pens available for the price. Where's the left-handed version, Lamy?!?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek, Comfortable, and Durable, November 6, 2010
Andrew (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Length:: 3:42 Mins

Hey there. This is a review of the Safari fountain pen by Lamy. I bought the "fine" tipped version, and have owned it for over 3 months now.

As you can see, this is a very durable pen. I carry this pen every day, and it's always mixed around in my pocket with keys or other items. So far, it has no noticeable marks or scratches on it from pocket items, but it did get a bit scuffed up from being pressed against desk edges and such. Still it's nothing that noticeable until I look at it close-up.

It's nicely designed and comfortable to hold. As you can see, it was designed to be held at a specific angle. In my opinion, it's been much more comfortable writing with this pen than it has been with gel- or rubber-lined pens.

The fine tip on this is a bit thicker than I wanted, but it still does a nice job. As you can see, it is much thicker than a 0.5 pencil lead, but it's not too overwhelming. It's almost the same thickness as the BIC 0.7 730R.

I also haven't had any problems with carrying the Safari on planes. It hasn't exploded in my pocket or anything like that, and doesn't leak because of the pressure changes. I've carried it on-board with both a full ink cartridge and a nearly empty one, and it comes out fine either way.

The only negative aspect of this pen is the ink pooling on the tip. As you can see, it tends to pool up on top. It really doesn't matter how I store it, or how often I use or don't use it - it still happens and sort of makes the pen look sloppy. I clean it off often, but the pool of ink usually comes back by the time I'm ready to use the pen again. It's not too big of a deal, but there have been times where the pen leaves a nice ink mark on one of my fingers when I'm pulling the cap off.

Other than that, the pen has been working awesome. I haven't had issue with ink drying and causing a block, or ink leaking from the cartridge or the tip. Other people borrowing my pen, though, have had issues. Because you have to write at a specific angle with fountain pens, some people end up confused but do get it eventually. Others have also mistaken it for a calligraphy pen, which gave me a few laughs.

In case you're wondering, I'm using Bulletproof Black Ink from Noodler's.

Anyway, I hope this review's been helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Choice, February 5, 2008
I received the pen as a gift not long ago. Immediately I loved it. Without the cap, the pen is nearly weightless and a pleasure to put to paper. I found myself playing with it quite often.
Only one down side, about a week and a half later, I noticed the paint at the top of the clip had chipped up a little. My girlfriend and I had heard nothing of this in any reviews, so we contacted LAMY. It was replaced immediately (received it 4 days after my email) completely free of charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars A design classic, October 5, 2007
I bought a Lamy Safari with a fine nib last week after reading some good reviews of it, including others here.

Having used for the last week, I have to say that I love it. Not everyone will agree, but I like its minimalist, functional design - it has verly little unecessary marks or styling that is characteristic of many fountain pens. Even the simple nib has just Lamy F engraved on it - none of the ornate styling typical of other pens.

In terms of physical design, the lower part of the barrel is triangular shaped to encourage proper holding. The upper part of the barrel has two small windows through which you can see the amount of ink remaining. The cap clicks gently and satisfyingly into place. The large, bold clip is elegently shaped and curved ourwards at the bottom to enable it to be easily clipped into your shirt or jeans.

Writing with it is very smooth and it leaves a nice clean line - for a relatively cheap pen with a fine nib, I expected it to be a bit scratchy, but in fact it is very smooth; it doesn't have the problem of sliding out of control like more expensive pens I've used. So for less than $30, you get a lovely designed pen that writes well and won't break the bank if you need to replace it.

Lamy Safari Fountain Pen - Charcoal - Fine