5.0 out of 5 stars EARLY CHEER FOR YOUR HOLIDAY READING
Published on September 3, 2011 by Harold Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing
I received this book as a review copy, for free.
This is a lovely story, not what I usually read, but one I'm glad I picked up.
Published on September 8, 2011 by V. Cano

5.0 out of 5 stars EARLY CHEER FOR YOUR HOLIDAY READING, September 3, 2011
Harold Wolf "Doc" (Wells, IN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This Christian Christmas story begins in a snowy Christmas Eve Lancaster Co., PA blizzard. C.J. is a search & rescue volunteer as well as local math teacher. Wife Jaime is a Sears photographer but hates crying babies. She's yet grieving over a recent loss of her mom in a drunk driver hit & run. They become stranded at an Amish home (Sol & Mattie Riehl with 6 yr old Danny, and teen cousin Zach). Mattie also grieves, but her sadness is over her disappointing inability to have a larger family.

Both families are dealing not only with grief, but other conflict issues. Relationship struggles within each family. Some serious events happen during the short stay at the Amish home that provides opportunity for the two wives to join thoughts in facing their futures with God's help. there is plenty of suspense and action worked into a touching and cozy (although snowy) setting. Much of the conflict is resolved, or at least seen with a new light of hope. Peace, Joy, Forgiveness before the Christmas Day ends.

A fast comfy read for any reader who enjoys the Amish genre. A season brightening read from an author who knows the Pennsylvania Amish area. A sure-to-be-appreciated gift book.

This book is going into our family Christmas book box to be reread each Christmas, year after year.
Merry Christmas--God Bless.

`

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, Charming Amish Story for everyone, September 23, 2011
Crystal Fulcher (Beaufort, NC United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A Lancaster County Christmas is a charming, lovely Christmas story that warms the heart and gets you in the right mood for Christmas. It's a nice romance that tells the story of a couple finding that love is still there for them even when one has almost given up on it. But even beyond that there is so much more to the story. While predictable, the story is still a wonderful and warming tale for these fall and winter evenings coming and a must-read for lovers of Amish fiction. Even if you haven't read Amish fiction before, I recommend this one as one to get your feet wet with. It has exposure to the Amish culture, but an English (American) couple as well. It has suspense, romance, family and an Amish teenager deciding between the faith and the outside world. This book really packs it in to 200 pages.

Suzanne has a true way with Amish fiction, she really has a gift for telling their stories in a real way. I loved the look into Mattie and Sol's life as well as Jaime and C.J.'s. I like how Mattie and Jaime had things to teach each other even though they come from different cultures. It's really a beautiful book that I truly took something away from. I loved each character in their own way and though the book is short I feel I got to know something about each one of them and I like that. The action and suspense was good also. The plot moved the book along quickly and I didn't want to put it down and I hated it when it ended. I wanted more of these characters, even though it ended properly. The characters just stick with you and you wish you could see a continuation of their lives and that's a good quality of a book.

So if you enjoy a good Amish story or even if you haven't dipped your toes into the water of Amish fiction, A Lancaster County Christmas is a great book to warm your heart on a cool evening. It's a great book to curl up with a cup of hot cocoa, hot tea or coffee and a warm blanket and escape to Lancaster County for the evening. You won't regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, September 8, 2011
I received this book as a review copy, for free.
This is a lovely story, not what I usually read, but one I'm glad I picked up.
The atmosphere is the best thing about it. There is such a cozy feeling throughout the novel, with winter winds gusting and the characters all inside a warm cabin. It creates many beautiful scenes that make the reader want to actually stay inside the pages a bit longer. The plot is an interesting one. Lots of twists to the characters, which make the book read more like a literary novel than anything else.
The characters were also well-crafted. All of them had many dimensions, so that they really came to life on the pages. The way that the Amish characters play off the "English" characters makes for fascinating moments. There is obviously a lot of research about the way the Amish live which shows in all the details. Not only is it a wonderful, heart-warming story, but it also teaches the readers a bit about the little-known customs of this intriguing religious group.
For all of you who enjoy cozy novels full of nuances and complex storylines, this one is definitely for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emmanuel Is With Us~Truth About Christmas and Always, December 16, 2011
Are you as curious about the Amish as I am? It seems I've had a sense of awe about them and what seems their secretive ways. A couple of my children went to small, private colleges near Lancaster County (Dickinson and Gettysburg), affording me an opportunity to visit the Amish villages, and see their farms once in a while. Since I stopped to shop in their small town, I was a heartbeat away from these gentle people whose nearly downcast eyes and shy smiles felt like gifts to me as they passed by. My spirit was lifted just be being around them. Although, I'll never forget nearly crashing into a buggy with my too- fast-moving sports car one afternoon...an English lady not paying attention to what I was doing!

The Quilt Museum in Lancaster County is a display of the most astonishing quilts I've ever seen. With simple, unpatterned cotton in every hue, Amish women have created quilts that flash and vibrate. It's truly other-worldly. I've never experienced anything like it. The juxtaposition of colors makes your eyes "play tricks" on you so that the quilts actually sparkle! Such is the plain life of these people~they quietly sparkle in their simplicity. And lest one think their clothing is too plain, it's amazing how inventive women can be with plain, beautifully colored cotton and cotton blends...no zippers or buttons included.

In "A Lancaster County Christmas" Susanne Woods Fisher brings us a story of such an outwardly simple, plain Amish couple with one cherished son, who meets and takes in a young "Englisher" couple in trouble. The couple is in trouble both physically, as their car is disabled in a raging snowstorm, and in that their marriage is on the brink of divorce. Through this story during the weekend of Christmas, we learn about loss and love, the meaning of friendship and faith, family and following the light we've been given. We also learn that whether Amish or not, people are the same in their life-struggles and in their feelings of insecurity and pain.

The theme of the book, "Emmanuel (God) with us" reminds us of the true meaning of Christmas. That He came down to be with us. It's the reminder that we would not always find life to be perfect and without struggles, but that we would have the promise that He would always be by our sides~with us~and He would never fail us through it all. It's a story that's simple and, yet, so complex to grasp.

"A Lancaster County Christmas" is a book that leads us along the path to understanding the importance of real communication. I loved the story of the two couples, of how they saw the similarities in the troubles they had to deal with, how they gave each other hope and strength. It's a book that's gentle to read, and a book that leaves you stronger for the reading. A sit down between cookie baking novel...

May you know that Emmanuel is with you this Christmas.

Recommended for now through January--and beyond.

4 winter stars

5.0 out of 5 stars People are put in our paths for a reason, December 1, 2011
Suzanne shows us that no matter what is going on in our lives, that God is still in control. Sometimes he justs has to let us find our own way with a little steering. What an uplifting story and I was rooting for both couples to find their way. Thank you, Suzanne, for another wonderful story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great...for a Christmas book, September 26, 2011
I don't expect a light, sweet Christmas book to be as lengthy or as involved as longer novels and stories, so I went into A Lancaster County Christmas with my thinking adjusting and ended up enjoying this book very, very much.

While, because of the nature of the format, the story progresses along at a brisk pace. The basic format is a conversation, a contemplation, a revelation and on and on. However, Suzanne Woods Fisher adds a lot of debt to these elements and incorporates problems that are easily understood but not usually seen in books featuring the Amish.

Infertility and the relationship between grown (and almost grown) children and their parents are the two main issues. Since so much of an Amish woman's life is based around her home, family and community, the infertility direction of the story was very interesting and unique. I really liked Mattie for this and for her story.

Jaime was also a good character but I found her a bit more over-the-top than Mattie in her emotions.

These two characters and the men in their lives grow a lot in this book while also experiencing a few, very real adventures. I would definitely recommend it for Christmas reading year-round.

Disclosure: I received a review copy of this volume from Revell.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lancaster County Christmas, September 24, 2011
I have read a few of Suzanne Woods Fisher's stories set in Lancaster County, so I was anxious to read a Christmas story set in the area. It's the story of two families, an Amish family, The Riehl's and an English family the Fitzpatricks. Each family is struggling with major life issues and need a bit of reminding as to what is important in life.

Mattie, Sol, and Danny Riehl have made a trip to the doctors office for a follow up because Mattie suffered a miscarriage a few weeks ago. While they have six year old Danny, Mattie has always dreamed of having a houseful of children but struggles with infertility. The situation has stolen Mattie's joy making her question why others can so easily have children but she can't. Jaime and C.J. Fitzpatrick have issues of their own. C.J. is a teacher, but also works with his dog Tucker as a search and rescue team. His marriage to his wife Jaime seems to be slowly raveling apart and he isn't sure what to do to fix it. Jaime's father left when she was young, and when he recently dropped back into her life, she became frantic to have his acceptance, add to this the fact that she lost her mother six months ago to a freak accident and suspicions that her husband is having an affair. She won't talk to C.J. and he is unsure how to reach her. When the couple runs an errand to the Riehl farm, they become stranded. Did God bring these two families together to help each other?

I loved this story, I read it in about an hour and was anxious to see how things would turn out. The plot moved along well, and wasn't predictable like many of the Christmas stories I read. The characters are very realistic with the issues they are dealing with. I read alot of Amish stories and often the Amish seem a bit condescending where the English are concerned but not so in this story. The Riehl's were very open and accepting of the Fitzpatrick's, and not only that we see Mattie really struggle with the issues she is facing.I thought the story line with Mattie's cousin Zach really added to the main story, and Danny was such an inquisitive child. I love when an author adds a dog to the story, and Tucker and C.J.'s job as a SAR team was interesting and I enjoyed learning a bit about it.
If your looking for an inspirational Christmas story set in Amish country give this one a try, for me the only complaint I had was seeing it end.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Lancaster County Christmas, December 6, 2013
This review is from: A Lancaster County Christmas (Kindle Edition)
I did not enjoy this story. The actions of the characters are believable, but disappointing. Jaime has a lot of issues with wanting her father's love. Her father is a cheap skate which places a financial burden on her husband, who lets this happen by trying to keep things calm. Jaime wants to drive her convertible in bad weather. Her husband, a SAR member with a 4x4 Jeep goes along with her just to keep the peace. Jaime's car rolls into a pond, not totally submerged, and the next day is dragged out of the pond by Amish farmers. She then starts the car up....?
There are parts of the story that are well worth reading.
I will not re-read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath of Life, July 19, 2013
This review is from: A Lancaster County Christmas (Kindle Edition)
Let me just say right off the bat that there was not any thing in this book that I didn't like.. I LOVED IT ALL!!!

Author Suzanne Woods Fisher is one awesome writer. I was held captive right from the get go. I will continue to read any book of hers from now on. I enjoyed the flow of her writing and the story line was amazing. This is the second book by this author, and I loved them both.

All the drama, secrets, mystery, love and even some getting involved in others lives that are completely different from yours. Then add the Christmas story in there as well, lets just say my favorite time of the year, makes for one amazing book.

Recommend to all my readers. So pick it up and let me know how you feel about the book and if you have read any other books by this author add that as well.

So due to the above, I am giving this book a Breath of Life ratings of:

Five Clock Rating!!!

Disclosure: I did not receive this book for my honest opinion and review. But these opinions are my own and yours may differ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, April 10, 2013
This review is from: A Lancaster County Christmas (Kindle Edition)
Love my Amish books. it is mostly what I read and enjoy. And her books are all good. I have read everything she has written so far and will continue to read her work. Thanks

A Lancaster County Christmas