Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on Tikes

Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange

on December 24, 2000
This is one of those films that I expected to enjoy much less than many of my family's Disney favorites. As it turned out, both my children and my wife and I like the movie immensely.
The touching story of Little Foot, the last remaining member of his family of Brontosauruses (Brontosauri?), is a great adventure as well. He joins up with younger members of other dinosaur families as they all journey to the Great Valley in search of food.
Along the way they encounter hunger, thirst, earthquakes, and, not least of all, the dreaded Sharptooth. The feel of the dinosaur age is well presented and the characters are cute without being saccharine (and they don't sing!).
The lesson that friends can be friends even though they don't look like you or act just like you is a nice one for kids to see. The idea that working together is important for reaching a goal is also a valuable one.
Having owned a VHS copy of the movie, I was anxious to see the DVD. The result on this particular version is very dissappointing.
First, the version is full-screen with no wide-screen option. This seems to be a minor problem since most of the action seems to take place center screen. It would have been nice to have the option for widescreen, however.
Secondly, the color and brightness varies widely from scene to scene (and, more jarringly, sometimes within a scene). The opening scene, which starts underwater, is actually darker and less sharp than on the VHS version. In several quiet, close-up scenes the picture will be perfectly exposed and then the picture will shift to a darker look and then back. Very annoying. Various nicks and scratches appear throughout the film - it appears that no effort was made to clean up the video master at all.
There were also no extras on the disc at all, and at the price of this DVD, you would expect a little more than just the movie and chapter selections. Disney issued their first few DVDs with little problems like this: no widescreen option, varying degrees of video quality, etc. They however, have moved to a more consistent product over the last six months. Hopefully, movies like The Land Before Time will be given better treatment in the future. This one in particular deserves better than it got.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2006
A lot of people are commenting about how negative and depressing this movie is. Well, not all kids are looking for a rainbows-and-cotton-candy kind of film. This was one of my favorite movies as a child. Sure, maybe I was a little aloof to what was really happening, but I found nothing depressing about the film. Yes, it's sad and yes the happy ending isn't a disney-type happy, but I'm sure that doesn't really matter to most kids.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2003
I just recently pulled this video out to watch with my three year old daughter and a flood of emotions surged through my veins. What a masterpiece this truly is! Dinosaurs are a species of animals that have always had a dramatic allure and fascination in regard to younger individuals, and what better way to instruct children in the many aspects of life via a movie of this description? Although some scenes are a bit heavy (i.e. the extremely tragic death of Littlefoot's mother-- a scene that still brings tears to my eyes) there are many others that completely compensate. This movie is heart-warming. Children will definitely become attached to the five main characters in this story and identify with them-- the courageous leader Littlefoot, the tempestuous and firey Cera, the innocent and meek Ducky, the comedic and playful Petrie, and the silent and cute Spike. Complete with a gorgeous soundtrack, primarily the beautiful ballad performed by Diana Ross, this is a definitive film pertaining to all aspects of life, one to be enjoyed for eons.
on August 17, 2006
Don't need to add more that others have already said about the feature itself, but the DVD now that's another story.

I don't write many reviews, but I felt it my duty to let other buyers know before purchasing this DVD that quality is VERY VERY POOR !!! It's almost unwatchable in my eyes, especially if viewing a LARGE format WS projection system.

You were warned, buy it only for the content and not the DVD quality or special features, cuz there isn't any !!!!

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2007
Before Littlefoot and company were turned into a shameless commerical cash cow there was the original Land Before Time. The story is simple, the art style unique, and the James Horner score perfect. This is one of the few movies from my childhood that I continue to watch, and though this is partly out of nostalgia it is also because the story is timeless and the execution near-flawless.

If you are a parent reading this review, this is the film to get, although some of the material may frighten or otherwise affect sensitive children. I still tear up at the infamous "mother" scene, which puts even Bambi to shame.

It saddens me every time a new Land Before Time sequel is introduced, as none come close to the quality of the original. (The new films are so bad that they need catchy third-rate sing-a-longs to get kids to watch them.) If I could give this movie ten stars, I would. So here they are: *********/10
on November 25, 2006
I'm absolutely baffled why any studio would let such a poor digitally transferred movie ever see the light of day on DVD. It's REALLY BAD.

My advice, don't buy. Force the studio to redo this DVD. Don't settle for such terrible quality.
on December 22, 2003
I can live with this dvd being only fullscreen (that is supposedly its OAR) but to call this an Anniversary Edition & provide the worst special features ever on dvd is outrageous. Bluth/Spielberg/Lucas should sue Universal to have there names removed from this atrocity & replaced with Alan Smithee. You know when the first "special feature" is "how to use your remote control" that this disc was produced for children 1-5 years old. My 7 year old nephews turn their noses up at it. What a great movie. What a HORRID dvd presentation. Do what you like with the 101 sequels but give us a quality dvd of this classic original movie. PLEASE!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2015
For many years I waited patiently, wondering if there would ever be a widescreen release for this movie. So when it finally gets released, I bought it sight unseen. This is without doubt the worst way I could have wasted money on a movie.

From opening the case, one sees that the disc -- unlike other movies that have some beautiful, color artwork -- this BD disc just has the title and other disc information in monochrome text. This is your first warning how cheaply this release was made. The screen menu, if it can be called that, only has some icons on the left, with no indication what they mean. They are easy to figure out, but it is your second warning -- nobody at Universal wanted to do a good job and make menus for all the languages included in this disc.

The final blow comes from playing the movie. It is painfully obvious that no attempt was ever made to restore the film; there was probably no thought nor desire to do so. The graininess of this movie is so horrible, it looks like a pixelated mess, which gets worse during dark scenes, like the beginning. It would not surprise me if actually some underpaid studio employee took an actual, old print of the movie and digitized it with a camera aimed at the projection. Then it was digitized using a home PC before saved to specifications fitting a Blu-Ray disc. Quality, of course, is not part of those specifications.

I did not try the surround at the time, since I was doing a test run. And honestly, I don't need any more disappointments. I think my audio system does not deserve the possible horrors that this release can bring. And it is not like audio would make the awful visuals any better.

Extremely disappointing. And of course, once opened, it cannot be returned. But of course, one has to think who owns Universal now. Because if anyone wonders why this awful release could be made, ask yourself only one question. When was the last time Comcast did anything good for their customers? Enough said.
on August 1, 2005
This movie is my son's favorite movie. We only have 3... but he likes it more than Lion King and Finding Nemo. It seems like so many of these movies have the mother die in the begining but in this one it isn't that obvious that she dies to my 3 & 2 yr olds... so it doesn't upset them, yet. It's as if she just needs to rest for a little while.

The anniversary edition is nice because it has bonus material, my son loves the songs that are included from other movies. We will be purchasing a few more of the Land Before Time movies.
on October 13, 2015
Let me preface this by saying I am a huge fan of The Land Before Time series. I have every movie released as well as some of the animated series. If you are looking for a children's movie and have not seen LBT, I highly recommend it. That being said, I jumped on the chance to pre-order the Blu-Ray release for this movie. In fact, I have been highly anticipating its release for years (long before its re-release was announced).

It arrived in my mail about an hour ago, and my excitement quickly waned as I opened the package. A quick glace at the cover and I knew something was wrong. Advertised with "newly remastered for improved HD picture and sound," the packaging is adorned with memorable imagery from the movie... in horribly rendered fashion: the colors have much less depth to them and the line-work is faint and blurry. A quick comparison to my DVD copy (Anniversary Edition) proves that the colors are indeed more vibrant on the DVD release.

The packaging also presents another downfall to this release: the special features. The DVD includes Littlefoot's Playhouse (with moments from the TV series and sing-along videos), Jurassic Park Institute, "and much more!" and is geared towards the younger viewers. The Blu-Ray edition features... absolutely nothing.

Moving on to the actual movie, I compared my two copies side-by-side as well. While the DVD suffered badly in my blu-ray player due to HD interpolation, the Blu-Ray copy seemed to suffer from the same grainy video. While the Blu-Ray could be considered slightly better quality than the DVD, it is almost negligible and really only noticeable on the line-work during motion animations. On the audio quality, I was unable to discern any difference between the two editions. However, I did not play it on the best audio system and, considering how close the two versions are to each other, I imagine the only way to tell the difference would be on a good system.

Overall, if you have the DVD, skip this release. If you are a videophile, you will be sorely disappointed in the Blu-Ray version. If you don't have the movie already, I still highly recommend it... just go for whichever version is cheapest. There is no value added by purchasing the Blu-Ray.The Land Before Time (Blu-ray + DIGITAL HD)
review image