5.0 out of 5 stars Big Surprise!
Published on February 5, 2008 by Riderdoc

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful jacket, be wary of tall sizing
Published on June 5, 2008 by Desert Mama

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Surprise!, February 5, 2008
Riderdoc "Doc" (Pacific Northwest USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Landing Leathers Men's Air Force A-2 Flight Leather Bomber Jacket (Apparel)
Material: a very soft, evenly-dyed glove leather (goatskin). Perfect for casual to "dressy" wear in spring, summer, and fall. Too soft for construction sites (unless you're the boss and don't plan on rubbing up against a nail). Collar and flap-pocket snaps are black-anodized (I bought the jacket in black). Vent grommets are brass. Zipper is YKK metal - not plastic - and very smooth (I added a leather zipper pull). Woven cuffs and waistband are the soft kind and tend to fuzz a little. Lining is uninsulated khaki material with American flag stencil and nylon sleeve linings. Nice leather-backed "Air Force" label.
Fit: Perfect for my size (L) and the 1940's fighter-pilot "blousing" around the waist is exactly right as is the lay of the snap collar and the curve of the epaulets. A whole bunch more comfortable than my old, heavy, $300 one. More authentic too!
Construction: Seems to be CAD-designed and made. Obviously modeled from an excellent original . . . maybe an Eastman. Extremely straight seams with turned edges. Evenly stitched everywhere. Feels like double-layer leather throughout, but not heavy at about 4 pounds. The back is three-piece leather rather than one-piece . . . a detail disliked by pilots for reasons of comfort on long flights in steel seats. Not important to me and even the L.L. Bean "Flying Tiger" version is three-piece at $289 or so.
Bottom line: While nobody is going to confuse this A2 with one of Neil Cooper's thick-leather masterpieces, they're not going to believe you paid a hundred bucks for it either. After a week of wear, it was my favorite jacket. After a month it's starting to take on some character and I am very, very surprised at the number of compliments I get.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful jacket, be wary of tall sizing, June 5, 2008
The jacket itself is spectacular-looking and has really nice features at an incredible price. My problem was with the sizing. I ordered the "XL Tall" size for my husband who is 6'3". He normally wears an XL and can sometimes get away with a non-tall jacket but more often than not he needs the size to specifically indicate "tall". Well, this jacket was nowhere near being tall, even though the label indicated so. The sleeves were very much "regular" length. I ended up giving the jacket to my dad, who is 5'11" and the jacket and sleeves fit him perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice replica A-2 Bomber, December 8, 2008
First off, let me say that I've owned several Military Issue A-2 Bomber Jackets, so I have a pretty good idea of how this compares the original. The color is very close, if not, slightly darker than some of the originals out there (Avirex, Cooper, etc..). The best way to describe it is that it's 'chocolate' in color. Pretty dark, but nice. The sewing is tight and the leather seems to be nice quality as well. I have no idea what others were saying about the leather being thin. This is not thin for an A-2 Jacket, and actually thicker than the first original horsehide A-2 that I owned.

Finally, I almost purchased a size larger than I wear (due to the other reviewers saying that it runs small). But that's not the case. If you look at old photos of WWII Pilots wearing the A-2's, you'll see that they're worn fairly tight around the chest and shoulders. But...you can look pretty dorky wearing one of these too tight now a days. In any case, this jacket is pretty generous in the 'width' department, so no need to worry unless you're a clydesdale. If that's the case, then it probably makes sense to go one up on sizing. Otherwise, use the Luxury Lane 'general' sizing chart on their web site as an accurate guide.
Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5 star jacket, December 30, 2009
I received this jacket for Christmas,2008.I love this thing.I've worn it every day,when it wasn't just too bloody hot,here in the Arizona desert,which means about 6 months of real use.With a flannel shirt underneath,this very lightly insulated jacket is warm enough for even the coldest morning,here in the Valley of the Sun.

It has only got better looking,and more comfortable with age.Zippers,pockets, snaps,etc,all in perfect working order.A very slight amount of natural "distressing" is starting to show up on the high spots,such as the pockets.No real color loss,just sort of a burnishing.All to the good.Makes it look more like an old favorite(which it no doubt will be),rather than something fresh out of the box.

It misses out on 5 stars because of a few minor gripes.First,inexplicably,there is no snap at the top of the wind flap to cinch it closed.There's one at the bottom,though,where you don't really need it.Odd.My old WWII vintage A-2 had both a top,and bottom snap.Not a huge deal,but it would be nice to be able to secure the wind flap on those cold morning motorcycle rides to work.

Incidentally,this is not a proper,nor adequate motorcycle leather,nor was it meant to be.I use it only on my short commute to work,so I don't have to schlep two jackets.

Second,the cuffs and waistband are made from a very soft knit fabric,rather than the stiffer,slicker stuff you usually find on jacket cuffs.It's already beginning to fuzz and pill,and I'm a bit worried about it for the long haul.I wonder if something like Scotchgard would prevent this? I'd appreciate feedback on that,thanks.

Last and least,the lining of my old A-2 was a slick silk-like material.Even with lots of layers,you could could just stick your arms in,and basically shrug the jacket on.This one has an attractive khaki colored shirt-like weave fabric,that causes just enough friction that you have to be a bit more deliberate about putting your arms through the sleeves.Very minor,but this stuff is starting to pill and fuzz,too,and you have to wonder just how much more expensive a slippery nylon fake silk liner would have been.

That took a lot of space,but those are very minor gripes,and this is meant as a positive review.Go back and read my second sentence.I think mine was about $130.00 when we ordered it,and after receiving it,we considered it a bargain.Especially when compared to other A-2 jackets out there,costing a lot more.

I see the price has dropped.If you're looking for an authentically cut A-2,you need to try this one,before you buy something else more expensive.If it's not "real" enough for you,lots of people would love it as a second-hand gift.

* On the sizing issue: I'm 5'11,about 190.I have the large-regular.The waistband sits at exactly my natural waistline,just as a jacket of this type should,and the sleeves are at the perfect length,as well.In other words,it fits me like a glove,so if you are 6'0 or taller,you'll definitely need the "tall" *

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Jacket, February 16, 2013
This is a great "bomber-style" jacket at the price.

First - the so-called bomber jacket was introduced for American fliers in the early 1930's. They had some distinctive features and were treasured items for those who received them. Apparently, original bomber jackets in good condition can cost upwards of $1000 today.

Second - when you buy this jacket, it is important that you understand what you are getting (and not getting) so you will not be disappointed.

What it is NOT - this is not an original, authentic US Airforce A2 bomber jacket. It is not correct in every detail. For instance, original specs called for a single piece leather back, for comfort and durability. This jacket has a three piece leather back (nothing wrong with that, it is the same as my fancy and very costly dressy leather jacket in my closet). It is leather, but the originals were specifically made from goat or horse leather (the type of leather is not specified in this jacket). The original jackets were cut very tight across the waist and shoulders and did not have dual entry pockets - a handwarmer pocket behind the patch pockets on the front (more recent genuine jackets, starting in the 1980's, had a fuller cut and dual entry pockets - this jacket features a fuller cut and dual entry pockets, like the more recent versions, and these features add to the comfort level).

What it IS - this is a very well made jacket of soft but durable leather. I have had mine for about 3 weeks and am very pleased. A history buff may notice that it is not accurate in all details, but to everyone else this is a very cool looking "bomber jacket". The lining is soft but strong, and the jacket will keep you warm in weather down to about 45 degrees. It is not a ski jacket, it will probably not keep you warm in extreme cold (even the original was not intended to keep fliers warm at very high altitudes). The jacket is cut full enough to wear a thin sweater underneath. I find that it is true to size (I bought a medium, same size as my other leather jacket). The jacket even has a genuine YKK zipper, a quality detail. Like all fine leather, it had a strong leather smell when new, and is now fading away.

Looking around online, you can certainly buy a bomber jacket more accurate in detail, but it will cost about $100 to $400 more. For me, that is irrelevant. If you spend the money, YOU will be the only one to notice the difference.

All in all, I don't think you can find a better made, more typical looking bomber jacket than this one at this price. I believe you will be very satisfied. I know I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars A2 FLIGHT JACKET, July 19, 2010
ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! Best clothing buy of my life. I researched online for about 30 days reading all the amazon.com comments, all the A-2 forums and A-2 sites. I also monitored the ebay jackets being offered for sale. I'm not an A-2 expert, nor a leather expert, but I am more astute now. I know quality, and this jacket is pure quality. I know it is a reproduction, but it is a wonderful reproduction. Jacket could not have been packaged with more care. No oder -- no wrinkles. Jacket is heavy weight (6#), quality stitching, cuffs and waist are knit polyester. Lining is tan - 75% polyester & 25% cotton; sleeves and handwarmer pockets are lined with dark brown - 100% polyester. It is a "no excuses" jacket.

I recommend reading A-2 forums, sites, etc. just to be informed on the original A-2, but base your decision on the amazon reviewers, as they are commenting on the jacket you will receive. From the few negative comments posted, those buyers must have received a different jacket from the one I received. I own 3 Scully and 2 Schott leather jackets, all priced 2 to 3 times higher, and not one exceeds the quality of the Luxury Lane A-2 jacket.

After reading the amazon comments several times, quality was an issue for a few buyers, but buying the correct size was more of a concern. I'm 6'- 220lbs - 46" chest - 40" waist - 29" inseam - 33" sleeve, and the 2XX is a perfect fit. Using the Luxury Lane sizing guide instead of the amazon sizing guide was key. I used the Luxury Lane contemporary outerwear guide recommendation.

There are many useful, and intelligent amazon comments, so read through them with care. I sincerely thank those who took the time to write their opinions, both pro and con.

As others have commented: "no one is going to believe you only paid $99 for this jacket."

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A honest review..., May 25, 2011
Colour: i chose brown, it is very dark brown, very much the same colour as dark chocolate.

Material: The seller's description "Soft lamb touch supple nappa" is very misleading. This is NOT lamb or Nappa leather. Nappa leather is defined by Wikipedia as full-grain leather made from unsplit kid-, lamb- or sheep-skin. I was informed by a sales personnel at their main website "landingleathers dot com" that it is just cow leather used in this jacket. I hate it when people play with words to market something to make it sound premium. Lamb or nappa leather can be consider premium as it is usually more expensive due to lesser supply than cow leather. We eat more cows than lamb don't we? Lamb or nappa leather usually has a more supple touch than cow leather. Though this is not always true, cow leather can be equally supple and soft to touch as it all depends on how the cow leather is processed.
i am pleased to say that the quality of the cow leather used in this jacket is as supple as lamb leather. It is of good thickness, not too thick but yet not too thin for a dress jacket. It is definitely not as thick as those used in motorcycle leather jackets where safety is of concern. Thicker means heavier. This jacket has the right weight (not too heavy). This leather is very lovely and its quality is worth the price.

Fitting: I went with the large tall as i was concerned with the length of the sleeve. Pls go to the seller's main website for sizing chart. It is more detailed in information than Amazon's general sizing chart. The sleeves of my large tall jacket fit well but the shoulder area was a bit drooping. It hangs over my shoulders by 1 inch on each side, making it look not as smart. My shoulder to shoulder length is 18.2 inches. The other parts of the jacket ,chest size, waist all fits true to size. I have quite broad shoulders and am bewildered why its hangs lose on my shoulders. I wish it had a slightly more snug fit around the shoulders.

Construction: The stitching is excellent. No flaws that i can see.

Remarks: There is 100% polyester insulation filling in-between the inner liner and the leather outer shell. As such, it is too warm for my country Singapore which has 30-35 degrees celcius all year round. Although this can be remedied by removing/ripping the polyester filling out. I removed some stitches of the liner of the inner breast pocket so that i may fit my hand inside and pull out all the filling. This pocket is made of cotton material and can be easily stitched back.

I hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Bargain, January 7, 2010
I just took delivery of this jacket and all I can say is WOW! I can't imagine a better bargain to be found.

I had been doing a bit of research on A-2 style flight jackets over the past couple of years and gradually narrowing the options before I purchased. Didn't really want to spend $300-$500. But then this jacket popped up on Amazon last week at a price ($99) that looked to be good to be true. Ok, so even after reading other positive reviews of this jacket I was still a bit skeptical. Not any more. Trust me at $99 this is a steal. Typical prices from others for an A-2 jacket comparable in quality to this easily are several times the price. Now I'm not an expert on A-2 flight jackets so I won't claim that this jacket to be completely authentic in all its details. In fact other reviewers have pointed out some minor, inaccuracies. But I highly doubt that a jacket with 100% authenticity exists anywhere near the price of this one, with comparable qaulity, so I've got no complaints.

The jacket is made in China - but what isn't these days? - which goes a long ways in explaining its low price. From a quality stand point I give this jacket two thumbs, way up. It would be a great deal a double the price. The dark brown dye/coloration is 100% consistent across the entire jacket. Stitching is uniform and precise. The jacket's inside body liner is 75%/25% poly-cotton cotton material, but the sleeve liners are 100% polyester. The cuffs and waist band are 100% polyester ribbed knit. The zipper is a sturdy, brass YKK. There is one inside, left pocket. The collar has snaps as do the outside pockets and the bottom of the storm flap. There is no snap at the top of the storm flap. The leather is quite supple with absolutley no visible flaws and as such does not appear will need much break-in time to be quite comfortable. As for sizing. I am 6' tall, 195 lbs, shirt sleeve size 34-35" and chest size 44". I ordered an LT and it is a spot on, perfect fit. I would point out that A-2 styling is designed to be a bit snugger fit than many other jacket styles. It is not supposed to be noticeably baggy or bulging in either the body or the sleeves, and this jacket exactly meets that criterion. If you are looking for a great A-2 style jacket at an incredible price then this is the one you want order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice jacket, August 30, 2012
Thanks to Amazon Prime, this jacket arrived in a couple of days with no shipping costs. It fits perfect and is a beautiful leather jacket. I got it in black and it will look great with everything I wear. I can't wait until it gets colder here in Louisiana so I can wear it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutly great jacket., January 23, 2013
Please pay attention to this comment as there are several complaints about this jacket from people who obviously didnt know what they were purchasing. First off, this is a World War II replica bomber jacket. What did we only have 48 of during WWII? That's right!! We only had 48 states during WWII. So why would someone complain about this jacket only having 48 stars as opposed to 50. Please dont give a product negative feedback unless you know what you are talking about. Second, for those that commented about the smell. Geniune leather has a rather strong aroma, possibly to some, even an odor. That is very natural. It's a part of the natural tanning process and is what to most people in existince consider desirable in a leather jacket. This jacket is no different. I have been in love with this jacket ever since I received it.

Landing Leathers Men's Air Force A-2 Flight Leather Bomber Jacket