4.0 out of 5 stars pretty decent - we like it
We bought this form a local hardware store chain - Menards - $99.99 every day price.
ours is black, which we like because so is our iron deck furniture. so it matches nicely.
Published on September 25, 2007 by a couple with dog

1.0 out of 5 stars Paint flakes off after only 1 use!!!
Published on October 10, 2011 by A. Nowak

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty decent - we like it, September 25, 2007
it looks good sitting on the deck. up close, when putting it together, you see some flaws. little nicks here and there, the weld where the side meats the bottom. also the protective loop does not align very well. I got picky and spent a lot of time bending it here and there to make it fit tight and flush. had to do the same with the spark screen thing too. as it was so out of round, it woudl not fit on at first.

One thing, at the end of the instructions, just when you are getting excited to fire it up, they tell you to add 5lbs of sand to the bottom. the reason being, to help insulated the surface below(grass, deck, etc) from the heat, and to keep the ash form corroding the bottom of the fire pit. DARN! I wish it said make sure to buy 5lbs of sand while I was buying it at the store! now I got to go get sand.

also, do not leave it in the rain, do not allow it to fill with water as it may shorten its life - corrosion again. I think they need to anodize these things! so make sure you cover it, or put it away, out of the rain.
nice thing, it has a nice grill, as in you can use it to cook on with the supplied grill rack. Nice! and it also has a spark screen and a poker/handle to remove a hot screen with. a lot of fire pits do not include them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Paint flakes off after only 1 use!!!, October 10, 2011
After all the amazing reviews for this thing, I gladly bought it and couldn't wait to use it for the first time. Well, after just 1 fire, I went to clean it up in the morning and to my surprise the Georgia Clay finish is peeling all over the stars and moons. It's completely flaking off! Not everywhere, but apparently one spot that didn't get good "heat resistant" paint coverage.

Disappointed and upset, I took a photo and went to Landmann's website for an email or phone number. I found an email and sent the details of my purchase from Amazon and the photo of the flaking paint. Here is their exact response. "All of the fire pits will peel after use, the paint is a heat resistant paint but no paint will hold up to the heat of a fire. The only thing you could do is sand off the area and repaint it with a heat resistant paint. Again this will not last when this is used."

SO BE WARNED, THEY SAY THE PAINT WILL NOT LAST. I replied and told them I realize nothing can withstand fire over a long period of time, but after 1 use?? Come on. I'll submit my photo on Amazon for all to see.

If you dont care about the paint, then it's a nice firepit that is a little hard to fit together during assembly, but other than that, serves its purpose of containing a fire.

UPDATE: The customer service department informed me that their "paint is good to 1000 degrees." So I went to Autozone and bought "Rust-Oleum 248903 Automotive 12-Ounce High Heat 2000 Degree Spray Paint, Flat Black" to coat the firepit. This should be the standard paint they use to begin with. Oh well, at least future buyers who read this will know!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fire pit and a pleasure to use, February 1, 2011
I settled on this Landmann Big Sky Fire Pit based on looks and due to many great reviews. To all of you that took the time to review, thank you!

This is my first fire pit for family use.

Pros
1) All needed accessories included (minus consumables such as sand and logs)
2) Beautiful appearance
3) Grill rack is actually functional
4) Rail protects burning from bumping against it, which is likely will happen eventually specially with kids roasting marshmallows. The sides do get hot so be careful.
5) The rails function as a handle to manipulate during cleaning

Cons
1) The pieces that make up the protective rail did not fit properly. Attached to each other made almost a circle, but not quite (symmetrical) and after much trial an error ended up wrestling to line up the screw holes.
2) The legs were not painted on the inside making them prone to rust
3) The paint on the inside bottom came off exposing the base metal after just the first use. I used plenty of play sand and only three logs leading me to believe the paint is not heat resistant; I did paint the interior with heat-resistant paint as another reviewer advised, but on top of the original; save a trip to the hardware store and get that quart can of paint rather than the spray can.

The family and I enjoyed it and definitely recommend to anyone in suburbia that wants to spend some time together around a fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars great fire pit, March 14, 2006
Shopped a long time for this one. Wanted more pit than the copper bowls had to offer. Plus came with grill, cover and handy fire tool. Nice deal, easy to assemble.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this little fire pit!, February 25, 2008
SweetieBee (End of the earth, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Landmann Big Sky Stars & Moons Fire Pit, Georgia Clay, 10-inches deep (Lawn & Patio)
I deliberated a few different fire pits and watched prices before ordering this one and I'm very happy with my decision! If you belong to Amazon Prime then it's a no-brainer, great price and 2-day shipping included. I hear they offer this fire pit in some Targets but I've not been able to find it locally. If you're thinking of getting one,just do it - you won't be disappointed! We use this much more than I thought we would - almost anytime the temp drops down at night here in FL. Because it's circular, you really get that campfire feeling with the chairs all spread around campfire-style. Even my 12 year old turns off his computer and Wii to come chill outside by the fire, drink hot cocoa and cook s'mores. It's a great way to hang out with family and friends without the TV on! And so far, I don't see any signs of rust on this pit, even left outside in the Florida humidity. If you live in FL you know what a big deal that is. I do think I'll pack it away when we hit spring though to protect it, especially since we won't be needing it with 80 degree nights :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice fire pit, June 8, 2007
I love this fire pit.It holds lots of logs.The rustic design fits nicely in my wooded setting. .It gives the feeling of a real camp fire.I love the celestial cut outs.I have a portable charcoal grill that I set into the pit when I want to cook a small amount.When cooking is done I dump the charcoal into the pit,add kindling and logs and enjoy toasting marshmellows around the "camp fire".

GREAT FUN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hardy good looking - even with bad weather..., March 21, 2011
We've had this fire pit now for about a year and a half; and I waited to review it as I wanted to take the time to see how it fared over time, especially given the two harsh winters that we had dumped on us here in the NE this year and last.

Well I'm happy to say this one is still going strong with barely any rust or damage (I don't put cover on it when it rains - it's a fire pit not a grill). Ease of construction was fair although lining up the round ring bar took the help of a rubber mallet and two people to get it in place nicely. Once together I decided not to use sand in the base as is recommended in the instructions as it just is a pain to clean each time. I also took the time to drill three 1/4 inch holes in the bottom so it drains after it rains. Really it's your choice as to how you you want your fire pit to look as to whether you go the sand/clean cover route, or as I did the well worn burnt inside and used look. After many nights by the fire and months of being exposed to the elements this pit is still holding up strong. It's deep and so you can get a really hot fire going that lasts for hours. Toasty!

Great looks, long lasting and really useful. Do ensure you're covering your bases with regards to location and employ the use of strong tiles and gravel for it to stand on as per your local codes/recommendations as this one does get REALLY hot when stacked up with wood and could easily warp your house's vinyl siding or damage your deck if improperly placed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This firepit turned our small patio into a regular campground!, August 25, 2007
I wanted the larger model with the big platform surrounding it ... to put our feet up and/or to hold our drink glasses, but we couldn't afford it this year.

My thoughtful son bought me this one instead because he knew I'd enjoy the feminine color and the moon-and-star cutouts. I'm a "fool" for ambience, and he know I'd go ga-ga over the way they reflect the light, creating a mini outdoor show.

Now when the grandkids come over we can roast marshmallows AND keep warm in the cool evenings as well.

I love my new fireplace!

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this fire pit, October 12, 2007
This fire pit creates a nice glow and the cut-outs add some relaxing drama. The area for wood is pretty large - we had two Duraflame logs in it - and the fire never seemed out-of-control. Make sure you add sand to the bottom before using it, per the instructions. I'm glad I ordered it.

5.0 out of 5 stars attractive firepit, August 4, 2007
A very well made fire pit and is very attractive at night when the fire is going. The cut out moon and stars are really a conversation piece. Easy to move and I like the cooking grate, wire screen and the poker stick really comes in handy. The cover you can order to fit is a must!! It is very well made and is an excellent fit. Keeps the rain out and does not blow off at all . The cover has 2 good tie downs but it fits so well you really don't need to tie it down.