Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on January 1, 2012
Manny Pontoriero's latest instructional DVD set includes two DVDs that offer outstanding instruction in landscape photography.

As with Manny's earlier instructional DVDs, don't just watch a DVD once. Instead, watch a DVD, take a ton of pictures, and then watch the DVD again. Digital photography allows you to take many photos of a scene, from every angle, using different lenses and filters, with an immediate review of your efforts, and without the need for development as with film photography.

The first DVD includes multiple sessions with Manny offering classroom style instruction that includes drawings and samples of a topic. Then, it is out into the field to use those principles in action. It is in the first DVD that Manny also explains Parallel Thinking. Parallel Thinking is `how else can I photograph this scene'? Don't just take the one picture that you initially saw. Instead, what other options (different times of the day, different seasons, using different lenses, etc.) can you use to capture the scenes at a location?

The second DVD offers 14 sessions in the field at different landscape location along the East Coast. In each session, Manny offers detailed description of what he is doing at each location, along with why. Throughout those sessions are tidbits of information you might miss, yet are important. For example, if you are stacking filters on a lens use a step-up ring so you can use larger filters on a lens and not vignette your photo. Or, don't change lenses at the beach if the wind is blowing as you do not want to get sand grains into a lens or the camera; and, vacuum the lens and camera when back home to remove any sand grains on the outside surfaces.

The second DVD contains a bonus 15th session in which Manny moves from the camera to the computer to briefly explain what changes he might make to a specific photo. He uses the raw editor of Photoshop to make those adjustments, along with the neutral density adjustment available from that editor.

I highly recommend Manny's DVD sets, especially this two DVD landscape photography set.
11 comment9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2012
Manny is an excellent instructor. I've been tinkering with photography since high school. Now, 50 years later, it's time to put down my typewriter and pick up my camera. Thank you Manny for the informative tips and excellent instruction. Now I can go from taking snapshots to creating photographs.
on December 31, 2011
I consider myself to be an amateur enthusiast photographer. This DVD set, like all of Manny's, are very informative. I enjoy his style of teaching and all the advice that he gives during the DVD. Landscape photography is one of my favorite styles to shoot. Once again Manny's many examples and differing locations made this DVD extremely educational. I have purchased all of Manny's Get the Picture DVDs and would highly recommend them. Thanks Manny!!!
on November 27, 2012
I have been doing photography seriously for about 15 years and am currently president of a camera club. I am always looking for material that will help the members of my club be better photographers. I bought this DVD with this in mind. Watching the 2 DVDs I found that Manny has a very calm and patient demeanor in his teaching style. I often found myself smiling along with him while listening intently to what he has to say. He emphasizes his points over and over again, so much so that at the end of watching his lessons you really do remember what he has said and come away with an earnest desire to go out and practice what he has been preaching. I must admit that I was not that impressed with some of Manny's photographs. However, I always keep in mind that the judgement of any photograph is personal and very subjective. Anyone who has had their photographs judged in a camera club competition knows this only too well! In any case, I want to emphasize that the images are NOT the important thing to take away from these DVDs. The important thing is to listen to the content of his message and envision the impact of his techniques as they could apply to YOUR OWN photography. I learned quite a few things from watching these DVD's and would recommend them to any amateur or advanced amateur photographer who wished to re-enforce their fundamental photographic techniques as well as find some new tricks to try out. Finally, I hope that others will enjoy these DVD's as much as I did.
on January 28, 2013
Every one of Manny's DVD's is filled with so much valuable information on becoming a better photographer. I started with Jump Start, then moved to The Skilled Photographer, followed by the Ultimate Photographer and also this fabulous DVD. After spending a ton of money on books and never truly understanding what they were saying, these DVD's have made such a HUGE difference in my photography.
on March 14, 2012
I purchased this DVD to go over my composition concepts. I've been a landscape photographer for over 20 years. I shoot mostly landscapes and sell them at [...]

But there's always something new to learn. This program is beautifully put together. I loved it!
on March 29, 2014
I did like this. The content was useful. One disk was repetitive of his other photographer series. The 2nd disk was useful for a novice like myself. The 2nd disk contained recorded examples of techniques and composition styles to try in various conditions. It would be helpful to first see all 3 of the photographer series first.
on January 22, 2014
What I learned from this video far exceeds things I learned in a classroom.
Manny does a great job in showing the ins an outs of great landscape photography.
A must for enthusiast as well pros to refresh your memory.
From Manfred Saul
on February 5, 2012
"WOW what a great video set. I have several other videos by Manny and they are great so I knew when I saw this title was available I had to have it. Buy the set and you will turn your ordinary snapshots into photos with visual eloquence"
on March 8, 2013
MAnny explains the fundamentals then takes you out to the field to see true to life area to shoot and how diffrent setting make an inpact