Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 25, 1999
This book was a great tool for the beginning landscape architect. Many great tools for land planning including equations and tables and charts to determine various things like water runoff, erosion, sun exposure, and much more.
on December 16, 2004
This may be one of the best introductions to environmental planning for geography students interested in the application of physical geographic techniques. When inquiring minds ask how a Geography major like myself ended up doing septic plan review as a county Environmental Health Specialist I simply point to Marsh's chapter on waste disposal and describe the necessary physical parameters familiar to physical geographers (soil types and percolation rates, groundwater levels, slopes and topography, surface water, geohazards, mapping, etc). There is something for everybody in this book and you don't have to be a geography major to benefit. A very practical text.
on May 7, 2009
I'd recommend this book especially to any Earth/Environmental Science Majors. I actually just read this entire book cramming for an Environmental Planning exam (I was originally just going to skim some chapters). I wish I'd been reading it all along! There's a lot of cross-over with a Geology class I'm taking too.

Chapter 3 is one of the best explanations of the form/function(process) relationship in terms of the environment that I've ever read. I also found Chapter 9 very insightful concerning drainage basins. The diagrams and pictures are incredible. There is just enough technical scientific detail in the book to get a really good understanding of processes without overloading you with too many complicated equations.
on June 24, 2014
I've read this book cover to cover and it is very comprehensive. It breaks planning (and some design) into manageable elements and does a great job of helping you develop skills in systems thinking, planning, and integration. As a planner, LA, and restorationist, this book continues to be instrumental to my planning and design process. It doesn't do much for inspiring creative design, but that's not really its function. This book will tell you exactly what you need to know so that you can develop scale and context sensitive design solutions that preserve and/or restore landscape function, which IMHO is the only truly sustainable way to plan and design. The process oriented planning algorithms outlined in this book will make you a site analysis superstar if you're actually interested in truly comprehensive coupled human and natural systems integration.
on November 25, 2003
I am a student in environmental planning and have found this book to be extremely useful. It address a variey of things such as watershed, storm discharge, streamflow, etc. It really gives the reader an idea of how to design with nature.
on January 9, 2013
It's really unfortunate that people use book reviews to complain about order processing, inappropriately skewing weighted average reviews, in this case of a truly excellent book. Hopefully amazon will remove these gremlins.

I used the second edition of this book 20 years ago as an architecture grad student taking a landscape architecture class, primarily about landscape ecology. I don't think it's a stretch to say it was revelatory and enlightening. It gave me valuable understanding I'd lacked of landscape and landscape processes. I hadn't realized how ignorant I was about these things, things which I'd be (and have been) impacting as an architect and planner. As a hiker/backpacker and kayaker it also laid a foundation for greater understanding and appreciation of the natural places I've visited.

Perhaps most importantly, it gave me a better understanding of fragile ecosystems, of wetlands and their functioning, and better knowledge of other matters important in land use and minimizing its negative environmental impacts. I've recently been reviewing the book again and reading the few chapters we omitted in class 20 years ago. It's easily one of the best texts I've ever used, and useful for students and professionals in numerous disciplines.
on March 29, 2007
Clearly explained wetland designations and issues. Good in preparation for the LARE exams part B.
on February 1, 2013
This book was mandatory for a class. I read the first chapter and it was very repetitive and boring. I think we used it once for class, if I could go back in time I would not buy this book.
on January 23, 2013
it's cheap and fast. this one is just new, even newer than some of those on the shelf for sale. yeah, rating is always the best standard for us buyers.
on February 27, 2013
Gracias por enviar el libro atiempo lo nesesitaba para una clase y me esta ayudando mucho.No tengo ninguna queja de el libro.