Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Langston's Train Ride
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

75%
25%

on December 8, 2009
I won this book at the Dexter Educational Foundation's annual Silent Auction, in February of 2007. It was in a basket of selected favorites of the faculty at Wylie Elementary School (grades 3 and 4). I bought the entire collection for $50, and am enjoying working my way through all the books.

This non-fiction narrative, describing the early life of Langston Hughes, and how he became inspired to write poetry, is a joy to read. Leonard Jenkins' jazz-like artwork blends well with Robert Burleigh's text, which in turn fits the style of Hughes himself.

Two thoughts ran through my mind, as I read it.

First, what a shame it is, when a young person knows that he or she was meant to do something like write poetry, or music, or teach, or create beautiful art; only to be discouraged by other trusted people that urge them to be "reasonable." How much beauty has been lost to the world, because of this?

Second, Hughes' linking of the Mississippi River to other Rivers, particularly the great Congo and Nile, of Africa, and from there to the blood flowing through our own veins, is a stunning reminder of how we all are connected. Rivers provide a wonderful illustration of that insight.

This book should be in every school classroom. I would place it in high schools as well as primary schools. I hope that American teachers use it to encourage children to follow their dreams, and their true life purpose.

I also hope that they can instill in American youth, a sense of pride of their own roots. My surname means, in old German "Little creek." I can look at creeks in a different way now. And we can teach the interconnectivity of all the people in the world. Ultimately, we all drink from the same river. The same blood flows through us all.

Langston Hughes was a great American. Few have ever illuminated our nation as honestly and accurately as he. His recognition of its ugliness is always tempered with love for it.
VINE VOICEon May 18, 2005
This is a picture book biography of Langston Hughes. It tells us that he got inspiration for his first poem while listening to the sound of a train. He was on the way to visit his father in 1920. He starts to think of all the people who have seen these sights before him and what life might have been like for them. He writes his famous poem on a piece of scrap paper and the rest is history!

The book was written in picture book/ story book form. Although it was a non-fiction book it was fun and easy to read.

We would recommend this book to others who are interested in knowing more about Langston Hughes. This would be helpful to students who might be researching his life for school projects.
on August 22, 2005
. . .and it is perfect to read out loud. this book should be in every elementary school library.
on March 22, 2015
My 4th grade bilingual students and I enjoyed this poem, and the illustrations helped my students' understanding. This can be enjoyed by people of all ages.