4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Finishing Stone
Published on June 10, 2010 by J. O'Neil

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work as advertised!
I am not going to tell you that it isn't worth buying, and I'll get to the reason why later.

Published on June 20, 2011 by Corey

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work as advertised!, June 20, 2011
This review is from: Lansky Super Sapphire Polishing Hone (Sports)

First I am going to tell you that this thing DOES NOT polish as well as the yellow Ultra Fine Stone. It leaves a nice looking edge, but the yellow one makes it shiny like a mirror! In that sense alone this product fails. It's advertised as a "Polishing Hone." It just doesn't do it.

Now, for the ironic part. You should consider buying it.

If you use this hone either after the blue Fine Stone, or in place of it, it leaves your knife CRAZY SHARP! It works up a burr better than the Fine Stone(and maybe even the Medium Stone) can. I can't get an edge like that with the Deluxe system alone, no matter how hard I try. What I do is sharpen like normal, then use the Sapphire to put the final edge on, then I use the yellow Ultra Fine to polish the knife to a mirror finish, being careful not to ruin the edge that the sapphire makes.

I'm still really disappointed with this product, I was expecting it to polish even better than the yellow stone. When it didn't work right I emailed Lansky thinking it was a defect. They had me send it to them and they sent a replacement. The replacement was the same. I emailed them again to let them know that I had the same problem with the new one and they still tried to fix it.

I have to give this company a lot of credit, I don't want to go into details about what they have done to try to make this right, but it's safe to say that they have REALLY gone out of their way to try to make me a happy customer. I would have to say that Lansky's customer service is the best around, they have really been a pleasure to deal with. And I would recommend most of their products without hesitation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Finishing Stone, June 10, 2010
This review is from: Lansky Super Sapphire Polishing Hone (Sports)
I purchased this sapphire stone after reading some of the other reviews on the net. It does put a extremely nice, factory looking, finish on the blade that wasn't possible with the yellow "very fine" stone that comes with the deluxe kit. The only down side, and it seems like this is the case with the yellow stone as well, is that it needs to be cleaned after very few strokes. If putting the finishing touches on a blade much larger than 6", it will take a while. I also noticed that if you are sharpening a blade that is coated black or gray, it needs to be cleaned even more ofter. If you are patient go ahead and get it as it is worth the money, if your aren't I'd say skip it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stone, August 13, 2013
This review is from: Lansky Super Sapphire Polishing Hone (Sports)
Still trying to figure out if I should use this before or after the yellow ultra fine. I've been using it after the yellow and I might try to reverse the order. The yellow gives a better polish - meaning the surface of the edge is shinier. However, the Sapphire really adds an extra level of sharpness to the edge. The sharpness has more "bite" to it which is probably what you want as the edge seems to be able to grab better.. The stone I recieved has the purple shell but the stone itself is white - unlike the picture. Mine had a few chips along the side of the stone which doesn't impact the performance.

If you're wondering what to use to keep this stone clean then pick some Bar Keepers Friend. Its like Comet but it has an ingredient that reacts to metal and it will clean your stones in short order. What I do is mix a small amount of water with the bar keepers friend until I form a paste and then scoop a bit up with a scouring sponge (green scotch-brite) and do a little bit of scrubbing and then rinse. Good as new. Some other reviewers mentioned that they have to clean it all the time. I've done a few knives with it and haven't had that much buildup so unless you're sharpening a machete with this then you should be fine. Just clean when you're done with it and it will be ready for next time. You don't need many passes with this stone so I cant imagine that it would accumilate that much metal on it. Its a polishing stone people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential step to mirror bright edge, June 3, 2013
This review is from: Lansky Super Sapphire Polishing Hone (Sports)
I consider the Super Sapphire as an essential step before Ultra Fine. It removes striations as you work up to a mirror finish. Super Sapphire has slightly more bite, requires cleaning more often and doesn't give a mirror polish like the Ultra Fine. They have nearly Imperceptible differences but the additional "drag" of the Sapphire can be felt by experienced users. Super Sapphire will noticeably extend the useful life of the Ultra Fine. A highly recommended addition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good finish., December 2, 2013
This review is from: Lansky Super Sapphire Polishing Hone (Sports)
Bought this to attain the factory professional sharpness. Puts the final 'razor's edge' to the knife sharpening. Great for the knife collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent finishing stone - has more bite than the Ultra-Fine., January 1, 2009
This review is from: Lansky Super Sapphire Polishing Hone (Sports)
Lansky bills the Super Sapphire as the ultimate finishing stone for the Lansky system and I'm not going to disagree. I find that the super sapphire has a bit of a granular feel, with more bite than the pink fine or white ultra fine stones. It feels like it removes more metal than either of those, I get a robust burr pretty quickly - but the edge produced is blamelessly sharp. I've had it for a month now and always use it after the pink fine stone and marvel at how well and quickly it raises a burr compared to the pink or white stones. I find that a bit mystifying given that the grit is finer. Maybe the super sapphire is finer grit but softer? In any case it's an awesome finishing stone. My knives have a razor-like finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars sharper edge, July 15, 2013
This review is from: Lansky Super Sapphire Polishing Hone (Sports)
using this stone helps make my edge even sharper and cleaner. I recommend this as an extra to the Lansky system

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, June 13, 2013
This review is from: Lansky Super Sapphire Polishing Hone (Sports)
i have used this to sharpen all my knives and it works great i recommend this product to anyone who has a dull knife..

5.0 out of 5 stars shaving sharp, June 11, 2013
This review is from: Lansky Super Sapphire Polishing Hone (Sports)
As a finishing hone my knife collection has never been sharper.puts a super polished edge on knife and completes the lansky"s diamond set

3.0 out of 5 stars Overkill for most knives, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Lansky Super Sapphire Polishing Hone (Sports)
I got this to complete my Lanksy set of sharpeners. However, much to my surprise I found this stone to be overkill for most edges. This stone merely polishes out the super fine stones honing. If anything it'll reduce drag when cutting due to the polished edge.

Lansky Super Sapphire Polishing Hone