5.0 out of 5 stars Misleading price, amazing sound!
Published 6 months ago by The Soundman.

3.0 out of 5 stars They're OK
Published 20 months ago by chucklesnatas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Misleading price, amazing sound!, May 1, 2014
This review is from: Lanzar VX830 VX 8-Inch Three-Way Speakers (Electronics)
I have a 2000 Miata which had a pair of Infinity Reference 6x8" component speakers in the doors. I was a little disappointed with them and started searching for replacements. I found these, and almost immediately dismissed them because of the $50 price tag. I just would not have believed I could get better sound than the Infinity speakers for only 50 bucks. But then after reading all the good reviews, I decided to give them a chance. WOW was I impressed! I just could not believe how much better they sound than the Infinity speakers. The treble was a little softer than the components but sounded better. But the real kicker (literally) was the bass response. I was worried about how a sub woofer in the truck of a convertible would sound before I installed these. Now I'm not even thinking about a sub. These have tons of bass. You hear every note and feel the deepest bass right in the seat of your pants! My daily driver has a 12" sub in the trunk so I am accustomed to loud bass. Now these 8" door speakers won't go as loud as that 12" but at moderate volumes, you hear every deep bass note just the same. I actually get more pleasure out of listening to them just because they sound so good with out a sub woofer needing to pick up the low end. I'm only supplying them with 22W RMS apiece from a Kenwood head-unit, but that's plenty to keep me happy. With a solid 100W each, I'm quite sure they could shake loose every trim piece attached to the doors. The mounting holes also lined right up with the stock holes in my doors so no drilling was required. They do have a pretty large magnet on the back so I'm sure some cars would not have the required back space in the door, but they fit perfect in the Miata. Great job Lanzar! I'd have never thought I would be praising a name such as Lanzar over Infiniti if I had not heard them for my self.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to subwoofers!, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Lanzar VX830 VX 8-Inch Three-Way Speakers (Electronics)
I had never installed speakers myself, but I figured I'd have a go at it as a learning experience. These were easy to install, and the only troubles I had were related to the vehicle I was working with. For anybody whose wondering, this listing by Amazon is for 2 speakers. Their isn't anywhere that it's clear (besides that speakers is plural in the product name), but they come in one package from Lanzar as a a pair.

If you have an aftermarket deck with the typical 48/50/52 watts x 4 then you can run these speakers fine. Yeah, they may sound better with 4-way amp but regular decks work great for almost everyone. The bass is awesome. I had 2 12's in my WRX, so "bass is awesome" is coming from someone whose had subs. It's not overpowering though, but way more than enough to vibrate your mirror noticeably different at different bass frequencies (that's how I benchmark bass I guess). It hits the lower bass frequencies fine without making that annoying flapping/rattling sound that you get when you listen to high bass frequencies on 15 inch subwoofers or low bass frequencies on 10 inch subwoofers. I believe the frequency response rating they give goes down to 37 hz? Which is pretty good.

The midrange is great too. Make sure you find someway to keep the tweeter and midrange speaker wire away from the excursion space of the woofer or you will get really bad sound, you could probably zip tie it to the grill or use electrical tape. The music I listen to is a lot heavier on bass and treble, but you can tell from the vocals that the midrange is great.

The treble is good too. They aren't the most powerful tweeters, but they are pretty darn good. Keep in mind that the sound you get has a lot to do with your CD player, which mine is pretty old. You get nice, natural sounding treble that isn't tinny, just don't expect insane piercing highs.

One thing to consider is that these are fairly deep mounting speakers with a fat magnet (400 watts peak!), so although the diameter fits in OEM locations, I would say these are pretty much exclusively for the rear deck. If you have a car with 8 inch speakers in the door I'd look elsewhere. I wish I would have taken measurements for you guys, but from my memory of installing last night the magnet goes about 3 to 4 inches down from the mounting bracket, and the diameter of the bottom of the magnet is about 3 inches. Be careful of the input connectors too.

These speakers are 4-ohm impedance btw. I don't think that's listed on here. I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for good full range in one package. It's a great alternative to having speakers then having to custom mount tweeters on the pillar or door.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit NB Miata, November 9, 2012
This review is from: Lanzar VX830 VX 8-Inch Three-Way Speakers (Electronics)
Just replaced my factory 5x7's with these speakers. These speakers (unlike the 8" Pyles) fit perfectly in my 2001 Miata. They sound fantastic with my high power aftermarket head unit. Can't be matched at twice the price, very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect OEM replacement for NB Miata (2nd Generation MX-5), March 14, 2014
This review is from: Lanzar VX830 VX 8-Inch Three-Way Speakers (Electronics)
The door speakers in the NB Miata are not 8" rounds, but they are mounted in a spacer. If you remove the spacer, the mounting holes will line up perfectly with the mounting holes for these 8" rounds.

I paired them with a BOSS R6002 and some XTC 8" foam baffles and they sound *spectacular*. I'm honestly amazed. It sounds almost as awesome as my friend's setup with 2x 12" subs--probably because his subs are in the trunk of a Taurus and blocked by the trunk/seats/lots of distance, and these are mounted IN the cockpit approximately 3" from your leg.

I honestly cannot believe how spectacular these sound. I'm sure they're not audiophile quality monitor speakers, and I'm sure $$$$ can buy you better, but for an inexpensive direct-swap replacement, I couldn't be happier. Besides, with the top down and engine/exhaust noise anyways, you're probably not going to notice the difference with $$$$ speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way better than Pyle PLG8.3 for an NB Miata!, April 16, 2014
This review is from: Lanzar VX830 VX 8-Inch Three-Way Speakers (Electronics)
I installed Pyle PLG8.3's in my Miata, and that was a huge pain. The door has 8" speaker openings, but the Pyle doesn't fit, the speaker housing interferes with the door panel. This required a bunch of grinding to make the hole a little bigger.

The Lanzar's housing is a fraction of an inch (1/4" tops) smaller in diameter. All this means to Miata owners is that it fits perfectly. Trust me, after 4 hours with a dremel, saving that $4 by getting the the Pyle's was NOT worth it.

The Pyle's also weigh a ton! The magnets are massive and weigh over 7.5lbs each; the weight of the speakers are pushing 10lbs each. The Lanzar's are much more reasonable, probably half the weight. I'll weigh them when I get a chance and update this review

I currently have one Pyle and one Lanzar installed in my car, and I will say the Pyle generates a bit more Bass, which I guess should be expected. But in my '99, this just makes the door and window rattle more, so I had to turn down the bass setting on my head unit. The Lanzar doesn't cause as much rattle, and I have lots of headroom to up the bass if I desired. Maybe the Pyle is the better choice if you want your car to thump and shake the earth...I just want to listen to music while driving with the top down. I am using an aftermarket head unit (Alpine HD137BT or something like that) that drives the speakers with 18w RMS instead of the stock 12w RMS. Both speakers are rated to 400W, so no worries there.

I'm not really an audiophile so I can't say the Lanzar's sound quality is better. Both sound great to me. The Pyle's may fit just fine in other vehicles, and the added bass might be nice if that's your thing. But for an older Miata, the Lanzars are definitely the right choice if looking for a high-performance, budget-minded speaker upgrade that will fit in the door without requiring any cutting. Oh, and since we miata drivers are weight nazis, the Lanzars will save you several pounds of weight, too. I'll update with exactly how much weight that is.

-Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking speakers, October 18, 2013
This review is from: Lanzar VX830 VX 8-Inch Three-Way Speakers (Electronics)
Installed in an 01 Miata and sound very nice. They have a very cool looking cover that comes with and the green accents on the speakers really pop out up close.

3.0 out of 5 stars They're OK, March 26, 2013
This review is from: Lanzar VX830 VX 8-Inch Three-Way Speakers (Electronics)
I love Lanzar because they're cheap and relatively good quality. The speakers are no exception, they're OK and get the job done sufficiently. My only complaint is that their sweet spot is 90-110hz, and can drone terribly depending on the variety of music you listen to... Country (read pre '95-2000 Country) is fine, Rap/R&B is usually OK but a few songs might get droning, EDM is a 50/50 chance of it being weird on the low side. Mid and high frequencies seem fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality in an inexpensive package, June 3, 2012
Dobie Tanpaw (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lanzar VX830 VX 8-Inch Three-Way Speakers (Electronics)
The selection for 8" car audio speakers is slim in general, and most of them tend to be very pricey. I chose to give these a chance, since if they were really bad, Amazon has a wonderful returns policy.

When I received them, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the construction. They are well built out of quality materials.

After install, I was blown away. They sound as good as, if not better, then some of the higher price-point speakers I've heard in friends cars. I'm installing in a convertible, so both volume and clarity are important. They produce clear bass, and crisp highs without muddling the midrange. Lyrics and Speech are easy to understand, while you also hear the full range of the music.

Overall, I am very very happy with them. If I have any issues with them after using them for a while, I'll update this, but for now, I'm gonna say they are worth much more then they cost!

1.0 out of 5 stars does not fit, May 29, 2014
This review is from: Lanzar VX830 VX 8-Inch Three-Way Speakers (Electronics)
Did not fit back-deck opening as promised. No idea how it sounds. Would not trust their website for sizing. Bleah

1.0 out of 5 stars One speaker sounds blown already., September 19, 2013
This review is from: Lanzar VX830 VX 8-Inch Three-Way Speakers (Electronics)
Had them for about a month and it sound like one speaker is blown. It is making a crackling, static type sound. Now to check out how good their warranty is.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›