DiskImage
Price:$29.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 15, 2013
The Systems Requirements panel on the box says that it runs on Windows 8, but when I opened the box, I saw an insert that read that I needed the upgraded version 7 of DiskImage for "full Windows 8 compatibility". For that reason, I did not install this version. I went to the link that was on that insert/ It had a message that read, "We're sorry, but DiskImage 7 is not available yet. Please check back at a later time." Checking the company's web site for more information, I find that the version that I have is not Windows 8 compatible even though it says so on the box.

I used Norton's Ghost over a decade, but with Windows 8, even Norton's Ghost has some problems. That is why I purchased this alternative, but it looks like this is also not ready.

I am just waiting for either Symantec Norton's Ghost or LapLink DiskImage to be fully Windows 8 compatible. I prefer disk imaging software for backups.
on March 16, 2014
Did a full backup/image of my C: drive, then some time later, for the hell of it, decided to try and restore a file. Just to see if it worked. It didn't. The image file it created, on an external drive, was unreadable, and I had it verify the file after it created it and it came back as OK.
on May 23, 2013
After installing and creating the one Basic Image and a months worth of multiple Incrementals, thought it might be wise to generate a new BaseImage from which future Incrementals would be based.

DiskImage provides two options:
Merge the Incrementals to produce a new BaseImage - which does not seem to be wise?
Produce a Base image from scratch. However, that proved to be difficult.

A Help search didn't provide a solution.
Laplink Chat suggested:
Start Page->Imaging-> but the source drives could not be selected (grayed out) because they were in use.
Restart/boot from the DiscImage install CD - which did produce a new Base Image, not a viable PRODUCTION solution?

ONCE on initial launch of DiskImage from StartPage->One-Click Image got a dialog box with an option to create a BaseImage - but since have not been able to re-produce that.

If you are able to produce a new BaseImage, you need to delete then create a New Job, being sure to specify the location of the new BaseImage and Incremental files.

The Report XML file are huge (good for developer debugging - but not great for Production software) which slows down everything, and have not found a way to delete the older Report XML files.

All in all believe the underlying software is sound BUT the GUI is a challenge!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 15, 2015
does image at drive & disk levels but can't restore at file level, only drive & disk levels - also advertised version 5 & immediately wanted an upgrade to version 9 with another sales charge