5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great (if you follow the instructions)
I used this product a few years ago, and liked it. So despite several mediocore or bad reviews here for Ultimate, I bought it to migrate Vista (32) to Win7 (64). It worked perfectly! The package comes with very detailed instructions on the steps needed in order for the product to work, and I guess is you miss a step, it won't work. But Ultimate did a full migration of...
Published on April 24, 2011 by D. Byrd

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product - be warned!
I am an IT professional and bought this product aware of the bad reviews but with the hope that I could transfer some programs from Windows XP to Windows 7. I did succeed in this modest objective but with so much difficulty that I would rate this as one of the worst software products I have ever encountered. The instructions are poor, there are many pitfalls, a transfer...
Published on November 9, 2010 by Ravin Maven

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly useless, September 29, 2012
This review is from: PCmover Ultimate (CD-ROM)
Upgrading from WinXP SP3 to Win7 Pro, working files and folders transferred wirelessly just fine. But I could have done these with my external HDD or thru online services like Dr0pbox that I already use.

But -5 stars for "moving" apps. PCmover completely hosed installed apps, registry entries, uninstallers. Missing components, DLLs, etc. Endless new-OS error messages, could not even uninstall apps to reinstall them.

And for fans of, er, illicit apps like DVDdecrypt0r, forget it. PCmover completely ignores them, so no transfer. Or so I understand.

For legacy apps like Office 2003 suite (pre-ribbon) you'd have to reregister those. I was successful here but ymmv and there might be EULA complications. To be fair, Laplink mentions this issue, but it should be emphasized anyway. Some old app versions may have to die with the computer on which they were first installed, sorry.

I had to scrub and reinitialize my new laptop to factory-installed condition, then reinstall apps one-by-one from original disks and installers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for me, February 19, 2011
This review is from: PCmover Ultimate (CD-ROM)
I have been working on computers for over 20 years. I usually transfer data manually. I had an old PC with Window 7 on it and bought a new one with Windows 7. Everything seemed to work after the move was completed.

I started having issues with my backup software. I could not resolve them. I did a factory restore to the new PC and started all over again. I uninstalled applications from the old PC and this still did not resolve the issue.

Three PC moves later and four factory restores I just restored my data from my backup I did before I even started and installed all the software on my new PC.

PCmover is now sitting on a pile with the other software I have purchased over the past years that promise more than the can deliver.

1.0 out of 5 stars More harm than good, December 27, 2010
J. G. Heiser (Sunninghill, Berks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PCmover Ultimate (CD-ROM)
This product caused me a lot of grief, and provided very little benefit. It never was able to move my personal files from my old hard drive (apparently it could not cope with permissions issues). It did attempt to move some applications, with the result that I've never been able to get some of them to work under Windows 7.

I'd avoid this thing like the plague.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, July 23, 2012
This review is from: PCmover Ultimate (CD-ROM)
Project: Upgrade wife's old home-brew computer running WinXP to new Asus computer with Win7. The skepticism was evident in her eye when I told her she would not have to re-install her programs nor move her data. I encountered a problem with the PCmover software initially because I had ordered the wrong edition, but Ray at Laplink staightened me out on that issue and got me on the right track. Downloaded and installed the PCmover program and then waited overnight to see the results. In the a.m. the wife was very delighted to have a new computer with her old programs and data intact on her new machine. Thanks to PCmover and especially to Ray for his help in seeing the project through to a successful conclusion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Product, February 21, 2011
This review is from: PCmover Ultimate (CD-ROM)
Don't waste your money or time on PCMover. It has created more problems than it solved. I ended up uninstalling a majority of applications and re-installing. I still have two applications that are non-functional, even after re-installing. Customer Support from Laplink is of no help. If you develop problems (like I did), the only solution is to "undo" the migration. Note, you can't "undo" the migration asociated with the application(s) your are having problems with, you have to "undo" the entire migration - in essence, start over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product and Staff!, January 31, 2012
Sassy in San Jose "vll" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PCmover Ultimate (CD-ROM)
I purchased PCmover along with my new computer. The software loaded easily onto both computers, but I ran into a problem when the data actually started to transfer. I didn't realize that my old PC had a partition on the D drive and from that point on, everything went wrong because I tried to move back in the program. (The next time I buy a new system, I'll check out my old one more carefully to see what's actually on it and where it's located.) I called Laplink and the staff was very patient and helped me get the software back to the correct starting point and instruct me what to do. From that point on, the whole process only took 30-35 minutes! It moved everything so I didn't have to go onto my new PC and reload any of the software programs that had been on the old system. It even transferred all of my internet Favorites, music, and pictures!

I am a VERY happy camper! I would recommend this product to everyone that gets a new computer.

4.0 out of 5 stars great product & customer service, January 23, 2012
This review is from: PCmover Ultimate (CD-ROM)
I followed instructions & didnt have any problems / customer service was amazing & very helpful & I was very happy with it. transferred all my files & settings from vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit ....over 208 GB set it at night got up in the mnorning everything was done. is second time using Pc laplick & I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

1.0 out of 5 stars It's a scam - terrible product, September 12, 2011
This review is from: PCmover Ultimate (CD-ROM)
This product is totally worthless. If you buy it, don't say you weren't warned. I purchased this product at Frys when I bought a new laptop so I could easily move my programs and data from my old computer to the new one. The only reason I bought it was because the salesperson said it would make the process much easier than the old fashioned way of loading all the software and then transferring data by usb device. What a ripoff!! I followed the instructions carefully and installed it on both computers, registed it as required, used their laplink cable and started the program. I easily got to the download snapshot step, at which time it froze. Per the instructions, I backed out of the program and totally restarted it - 20 times!!! I could never get past that step without the program locking up while it was in progress. I could not transfer a single file. There was also no answer at the 800 tech support number.

I took the software back to Frys on a Monday afternoon, told them what happened, and their employee tried the tech support number. He could not get an answer either. They would not give me a refund for the product even though it was useless, because of their policy of no returns on open software policy, even though the only reason I bought it was because of their guys recommendation. What a crock! They can knowingly sell something worthless and make a profit and their customer, or in this case former customer, has no recourse. I had to transfer all my programs and data the old fashioned way, losing many many hours, in addition to losing my money on this worthless software.

5.0 out of 5 stars PCmover- The only product you need for seamless file transfer., November 5, 2010
This review is from: PCmover Ultimate (CD-ROM)
I've switched between computers 4 times in the last few years, and after the first time of installing a new operating system, finding all my old programs on CD's (a few even still on floppy disk...shudder) I knew there had to be a better way. My father works in IT clued me into PCmover, and I'm glad he did. It's simply the quickest, easiest way to transfer your PC life into a new computer. It took me less than 2 hours to move 60+ gigabytes of various programs, easily set up my registry, painlessly and efficiently got me started on a new computer. I've used it at work as well. I worked in a place where the desktops were upgraded every 1-2 years, and we used PCmover to set up our workplaces quickly, without disruption to everyday tasks. Simply put, it's the best product out there for the money, you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved by PCMover, May 29, 2012
jose a miranda (san jose, california United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PCmover Ultimate (CD-ROM)
I bought a new laptop 2 weeks ago and used PCMover by Laplink to move my data, programs and files. It performed as expected with some old DOS programs not transferred, which would not run in Windows 7 anyway.
Then I had the bad luck of getting a crash (apparently when MS Office Home does not install correctly it will cause a crash in the Boot Manager Screen). Microsoft was of no help and people at the computer's vendor told me to recover to factory defaults as the only way out. I contacted Laplink support who were extremely helpful and had such a good will, working on Memorial Day that it amazed me. Again I used PCMover and in a few hours I had my new computer up and running.
Thanks, Laplink for a great product!

Jose

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

PCmover Ultimate
PCmover Ultimate by Laplink (Windows 2000 / 7 / Vista / XP)
$49.95 $19.99