Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Large Appliances Can this device be used on large devices such as refrigerators or Freezer units? Is it safe to attach this to a computer?
[UPDATED] asked by Adam on February 10, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 answers
A
_ answered on May 20, 2007
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My large fridge runs at 824 watts but the surge wattage is as much as three times its running watts. Bottom line is that the device could not measure the surge wattage as a circuit breaker apparently tripped protecting the device from damage. The surge load must have been somewhere north of the 1875 max.

The device was not ruined because I immediately tested it on the coffee maker and it measured 625 watts.
Tony answered on July 15, 2007
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
One Amazon review states it is limited to 1500 watts at 110 volts AC. I suspect that is really 1500 watts at 120 volts as the US voltage starts at 120 volts and drops gradually with resitance (length of wire). Watts = amps (draw) X Volts. So the limit may be between 12.5 amps and 13.6 amps.
1500 Watts/115 Volts = 13 Amps
This would limit us to a small window air conditioner (<=6500BTU) or similar. Not sure what happens when you go over spec. I would also like to know.
Jay answered on May 14, 2007
Comment | 6 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I don't see why this can't be tried on anything that you plug into a typical outlet. It's 1800 watt rating=15amp draw which is what most house circuits are made for. I plugged in my fridge with no problem on seeing the surge draw (~10 amps) and normal running draw of ~2 amps. If you have a 2HP motor (for an air compressor or other such), that could have a higher surge draw than the 1800watt rating, but otherwise I'd not be afraid to try it on the computer or almost anything.
Thomas H. Lawler answered on August 17, 2008
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you go over the limit, it sounds an audible beeping alarm and flashes the number in the display. I can't remember exactly what that limit is, but I can tell you that the limit is exceeded if I plug both my washer and dryer into the meter (using a 'y-adapter') at the same time while the washer motor is spinning up in speed.
Jim N answered on December 2, 2008
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The fridge probably has a 1-HP motor on the compressor. The starting current is 2 to 3 times the full load current.
christib35 answered on October 30, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Good question. On the Amazon page, note in several places that the name of the company is P3 International, not meaning to imply that the product is international.
Keel Moose and Squirrel answered on March 18, 2011
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks Tony for actual helpful information! Always a miracle to find that on Amazon... now I know I can at least give measuring the fridge a try with no risk. Awesome.
Amazon Customer answered on April 23, 2008
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have used it on 230v without a problem
Kyle L. Kraft answered on August 24, 2012
Comment (1) | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You can, but you must use a bulb of half the wattage rated max or less.
North Shore Nautical answered on January 9, 2010
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product