- Shipping Weight: 2.8 pounds
- ASIN: B000AMW5V0
- Item model number: SH11XXL
- Average Customer Review: 20 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #44,468 in Arts, Crafts & Sewing (See Top 100 in Arts, Crafts & Sewing) Product Warranty: For warranty information about this product, please click here
Large Chinese BEGINNER Calligraphy Set with Free Paper (#SH11XXL)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Perfect starter calligraphy set with all the basics for beginners!
- Includes ink stone and ink stick, brushes, brush rest, water dish and mini spoon!
- Nice cloth covered box
- Free 20 sheet package of practice calligraphy paper with this purchase!
- ***The shape of grinding stone may vary. Outer box may be red or green.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
The brushes are of horrible quality, the hairs are not secure in the handle (they fall out very easily, at the lightest touch), and some of the brushes are even broken.The inkstick is fake, made for tourists, probably composed of burnt car tires, and it smells horrible. Real inksticks intended for serious use will smell fragrant with Chinese herbs and medicines. Needless to say, it makes poor quality ink, and good luck using that tiny ink grinding stone.
The seal paste that comes with it is not the stuff that artists in East Asia use. It is cheap, and if you use it with a seal, it leaves a pool of gross oil on the paper around the imprint of the seal. Do not use it, unless you only wish to test your seal.
The little spoon that comes with the water dish is made of yellow plastic, and not metal. The lion carving on top of the seal was disfigured and poorly carved on the one that came with my set. The seal itself is usable though (one of the few good things about the set). The only reason why I do not give this product only a single star is because it comes with a usable seal, and the brush rest and paper weight are also decent.
It is well made and has everything you need to make beautiful art. This set met my criteria for a five star rating:
1. It was priced fairly
2. The product was as advertised.
3. It was good quality, The brushes are well made and didn't loose hair when I was painting, the ink stick made quality ink, the water dish, spoon, brush rest and soap stone chop stamp were all nice quality craftsman ship, it doesn't feel cheaply made. There is plenty of red chop ink paste in a beautiful container.
As I said in the title, this set would make a beautiful gift for someone who loves beautiful Chinese things, or for a beginner or experienced Chinese calligrapher. I am very pleased with the set and recommend it to everyone.
Random FYI for those interested:
The chop stamp is for you to engrave with your name or symbol to "sign" your art work with, the red ink is what you stamp with. When I was over seas I collected beautiful work from the artists and in the corner was a stamped name and it was always in red. I didn't think much of it however after receiving this set and seeing the red ink with instructions that it was to use for your signature stamp I figured out that tradition always has the name in red. Just some random observation I made that I found interesting.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Beginning calligraphy especial this fine art, needs a teacher as well. It will take me longer without one but when I do , I will do it with joyPublished 19 months ago by Christopher Yue
I bought this for a project later this year. The quality appears to be very good and intriguing. I think will be well used in the future.Published 23 months ago by Valtin
Excellent！The product is full of high quality. It is a better choice to select the similar product from this seller.Published on January 11, 2014 by Liu Shuangqiu
The brushes were too cheap and stiff to do really nice calligraphy but as a stater kit it was good.Published on November 29, 2013 by Ed Rees