5.0 out of 5 stars Very Cool Gadget!!
Published on January 30, 2010 by Randy King

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed Within Minutes
Published on December 4, 2011 by William F. Beal

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Cool Gadget!!, January 30, 2010
This review is from: LaserLyte Pistol Laser Trainer (9, 40, 45-Caliber) (Sports)
If you are serious about learning to shoot; (SAFELY) dry firing at targets, at home, is one of the best ways to improve your skills. This laser gadget Laserlyte 9/10/45 Pistol Laser Trainr Md.# Lt-Pro fits (adjustable 9mm to .45acp) into the end of the gun barrel. It puts a red laser dot on your target exactly where you aimed, every time you pull the trigger. It is activated by the sound of your trigger release. It works great! It saves a LOT of ammo money too.

As the instructions say, DO NOT store with the batteries engaged in the device. Speaking from experience, doing this will zap the battery in no time. It comes with a little plastic spacer you can use to insulate the battery terminals from contact while not in use. However, this thing is a light transparent yellow and very tiny. Easy to lose.

Safety tips. I use targets tapped to cardboard and put them away after every use. Put your loaded magazines in a different room while practicing. I literally say out loud "my practice is over" when I am done. This may sound goofy, but I've heard too many stories about "trying one more shot" after they have reloaded. Sorry about being preachy, I'm a safety guy. :)

I highly recommend the laserlyte to improve your shooting skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs Some Engineering Improvements, January 23, 2010
Works as advertised, compact so it doesn't interfere with holster training, relatively inexpensive (best price is on Amazon). The reason I only give it 4 stars is that you MUST remove the batteries after each session (or use the little plastic spacer between the contacts) - a couple of days on the shelf will completely drain them. And to remove them, you have to take the device out of an oily pistol bore and attempt (emphasize attempt) to unscrew the end of the device, which is conical, smooth aluminum, without a vestige of grooves, notches, or anything else to achieve a purchase for removal - ditto on the threads seizing up (below); a little silicone grease seems to help. Unscrewing the back may loosen the adjustable plastic adapter that you have carefully adjusted to fit your gun, and might eventually strip the soft aluminum threads (so far so good though); a fixed, caliber-specific plug would make more sense. The screw that retains this gadget was also about 1/4" too long to screw into the end of my Laserlyte, so required some Dremel work to get it to fit. It's also not necessarily exactly aligned with the bore axis, so it's really an approximation of bullet impact for precise target work; a minor irritation is that it also flashes with every "click" of cocking the action, so C-O-L-T on my SAAs while cocking produces at least a couple of extraneous flashes - just the nature of the design. It's a great idea, and saves time, wear on your firearm and money, so I give it 4 stars, and really does work for general pistol function training, but probably needs a little more engineering to get a top rating. Another laser training device SureStrike Laser Training Bullet is available, more expensive and with its own limitations; both will improve your accuracy and handling skills between trips to the range.

*Addendum: I would add another minus after some use. If you are a serious fast draw competitor, the reset time for this device is somewhere around 0.5 sec or maybe a little more. If you are sub-0.5s for your draw, the laser may not reset in time after cocking to fire with the trigger pull, negating its usefulness for fast-draw practice.

**Addendum to Addendum: Based on newer reviews, I tried my unit in my NM Vaquero and by golly, it does work most of the time from the leather. Still lags on the reset from my SAAs, and I suspect it has to do with the sound of the cocking action between the two mechanisms; not sure but it may not activate at all when cocking the Ruger, so reset is not a problem with the Vaquero (most of the time). YMMV, but it's certainly worth the price for what it does....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent training aid, November 17, 2009
I am delighted with this item. My shooting skills with live ammo have improved dramatically because of the time I've spent training with the Laserlyte LT-Pro. I use the Laserlyte primarily in my .45 Colt New Agent. (It also works well in my wife's .357 Charter Arms Mag Pug.) With the Laserlyte, I have sharpened point-shooting skills to where I can draw and hit the X ring quickly from 20 feet. I also used the laser to finally understand how to form a proper sight picture with the New Agent's notoriously difficult trench sights, letting me make much longer aimed shots accurately. The Laserlyte also makes it possible to practice shooting from difficult positions--seated, dropping to one knee, falling backward, etc.--without risking a toe.

It would have taken a lot of ammo to get me to the same skill level. With the price of ammo, I feel like the Laserlyte has already paid for itself in just a few weeks!

One little tip: The aluminum threads on the battery housing wanted to seize up the first time I used the Laserlyte. It took quite a bit of work to get the housing opened. I put the tiniest dollop of gun grease on the threads, being careful the grease did not get into the battery housing. That seems to have solved the problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed Within Minutes, December 4, 2011
William F. Beal (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I installed this device in my Kahr P9 and it worked as advertised for about 75 practice shots, then it failed. I checked the batteries, which were good, however just to be certain, I replaced them with a new set (very expensive). Again it failed to respond to the hammer fall on the pistol. I then noticed that there was very dim laser light being emitted which could only be seen in low light. When it was working properly, the device was either full on when firing, or full off. I removed it and called Laserlyte. I was told to send it in for repair or replacement and was given an RMA number. The customer service rep was very helpful and understanding, noting she had not heard of one emitting a low light before. The Laser Trainer was returned for service two days ago, and I'm awaiting its return. When it was working, I had paired it with the LaserLyte electronic target. I found the combination to be an outstanding training aid that will save me a significant amount of money on ammo as I train my wife and daughter on basic sight alignment and trigger pull. The 75 practice shots I took before it failed would have cost me around $25.00 not counting the targets and gas to and from the range. If this turns out to be a reliable system it is well worth the price. I have had other Laserlyte products and found them all to be reliable, so I have high expectations that this problem will be fixed to my satisfaction. The two star rating would be a five had the device not failed within minutes of installation.

5.0 out of 5 stars LaserLyte Laser Trainer Review, December 21, 2010
Device installed easily into the barrels of my Ruger LCP and Springfield XD sub-compact. The mounting system does firmly retain the laser trainer in the barrels during practice sessions.

I routinely engage in dry fire practice in between trips to my local range but the lack of feedback whether I "hit" what I was aiming during dry fire was missing until now. It became immediately evident the LaserLyte system does improve trigger control, whether shooting from a holster and other shooting positions. After using this system firing just 20 "shots" my trigger control improved as a result of seeing the result of my shots....I could instantly see if I was jerking the trigger or losing sight alignment during trigger press. After 30 shots I was constantly hitting center mass. Benefit: I will no longer induce bad habits during dry fire practice that I previously carried over to the range.

Since both handguns are DAO the laser activates when partially retracting the slides to reset the triggers although not all the time so battery life will be less than advertised but this in no way detracts from the value of this superior training aid. Also, because both handguns are DAO I'm not able to rapid fire.

Great training device, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

One other point, I used a target I found on line then I printed it using photo paper which made the laser very bright when it hits the target.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, inconvenient design., January 9, 2013
I thought that this device would be ideal for training with the Laserlyte Training Target, especially because it can be used with multiple different caliber weapons. Three things changed my mind.

1. It is difficult to adjust the device to fit snugly into the bore. Bore fit is achieved by turning the black plastic cap on the end, which widens or narrows as it rotates. But with just a slight rotation, the fit can go from too loose to too big and vice versa. Also, after repeated trigger pulls, the device tends to loosen, so you have to stop and repeat the tedious process.

2. My device rarely fired with my firearm, or at least rarely fired brightly enough for the Laserlyte Training Target to register. Instead, the device shined a weak but steady beam, sometimes a weak flash. It did not pulse brightly upon trigger pull with any reliability. I tried new batteries, varying tightnesses, etc., but it would still only fire about 1 out of 5 or 10 times using a Sig P220.

3. As other reviewers have noted, you must remove the batteries after each session. This would not be that big of a deal, except that the device is quite small, and the batteries are very small. Even when you drop the battery straight into the tube, it often flips over and lands upside down, so you have to take it out and do it again. This can happen with the second or third battery, too, of course, so that you have to dump them all out and start over. I'm not ham-handed or manually developmentally delayed; my dexterity is pretty good. But it can easily take you 2-3 minutes each time you want to put the batteries back in. Again, tedious.

For these reasons, I returned my LT-PRO and ordered the 9mm cartridge LT trainer instead (Laserlyte Laser Trainer 9-mm Cartridge). After contacting customer service, I learned that the LT-PRO fires based on the SOUND of the hammer/firing pin, while the cartridge devices fire when they are actually STRUCK by the firing pin. Although I haven't tried the cartridge model yet, I suspect it is more reliable because of this design difference. Less tedious, too, at least with respect to installing the device in the bore/chamber. (The batteries are probably still aggravating.) The downside, of course, is that you can only use it with one caliber. Anyway, I'll post a review of the other device when I've had a chance to try it out.

UPDATE: I got my Laserlyte Laser Trainer 9-mm Cartridge today (thanks Amazon Prime), and the difference is night and day, on all counts. First, the cartridge slides right into the chamber in 2 seconds, perfect fit. Second, because it fires when it's struck by the firing pin, it fires reliably every time, a nice bright dot that registers on the Laserlyte Training Target (LaserLyte Laser Trainer Target). Finally, you DON'T HAVE TO REMOVE THE BATTERIES after each use, which is a welcome surprise. I guess since the LT-PRO operates on sound, you must remove the batteries or they'll get activated by sounds even when you're not using it. Obviously the cartridge design doesn't have that issue. Anyway, if you can stomach buying a different laser cartridge for each caliber you want to train on, I'd strongly recommend this instead of the do-it-all LT-PRO, because unfortunately the LT-PRO just doesn't execute nearly as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless training tool for Cowboy Fast Draw!, December 30, 2010
Countless hours of dry-fire fast-draw hip-shooting produces great "muscle memory" but unless you load up and send stuff downrange, you'll never know if those 100,000 practice draws from the hip would be on or off target.

I saw the LaserLyte LT-Pro, and read one reviewer stating that it's worthless for fast-draw because the sound activation unit will turn it on (like a hammer drop) when you cock the hammer (yes it sure does), and that the reset delay time is over .500 (one-half) second, therefore "..negating it's usefullnes for fast-draw".

It cetrainly is the only design of it's kind on the market, and I figured well worth the $98 for indoor practice.. even if I pre-cock the single-action pistol in the holster and simply speed draw and fire to see where the hits are going.

Well, I received the unit today, and have just put it through 2 solid hours of indoor fast-draw, dry-fire excercises. I'm absolutely amazed and totally impressed.

I stuck the LT-Pro in the barrel of a Ruger Vaquero "old style" Colt single-action type 6-gun. I set my Pro-Shot timer par time to 1.00 sec flat, slow by fast-draw standards. The LT-Pro showed my hits dead nuts on, no lag.

I set the timer to .60 sec. LT-Pro worked perfectly.

I set the timer to .50 sec. LT-Pro worked perfectly. This means that I had the gun cocked, drawn, and hammer dropped in the mid .4's.. Laser beam worked fine!

(amazing to see where the hits were landing, and I readjusted a tad to put'm dead on. Wouldn't have ever seen this without the LT-Pro)

Lastly, I had someone come down and watch, and I drew on timer signal, at my wildest, fastest speed, (seldom get hits at this speed, but fun to show off)

I know for fact that the time of these several draws were in the .3's (I can routinely pop off primer shots on the Pro-Timer at .36, and got a .34 once.)

Point being, that the LaserLyte LT-Pro DID NOT FAIL IN RESET BETWEEN THE EYE-BLINK AT HAMMER COCK TO THE CLICK OF HAMMER FALL. Amazing! The actual reset time on the LT-Pro that I have has got to be somewhere around .30? .31? (I could simulate the reset-failure by quick fanning the hammer). But, in the very fastest holster drawn hammer cock and hammer fall (mid .3s!) the LT-Pro works perfectly.

And, it's also fun to walk around the house laser hip-shooting the clocks, lamps, wall photos, etc.

Worth every penny of the $98 in my humble opinion.

Post Script:
After several practice sessions with the LT-Pro, I found something worth adding here. Initial report above was with suggested use of "snap-caps" for dry-firing. By accident, I used the LT-Pro with empty cylinders (no spring-loaded snap-caps), and it re-acted quite differantly. It seemed slightly less, "sensitive"? It did fail in time-out reset between hammer-cock, and hammer-fall, with draws in lower .4's.

I put spring-loaded snap caps cartridges back in all 6 cylinders, and voila~ It worked perfectly again.

FYI.

PS: Feb 11, 2011..
Used this unit every day for nearly 2 months. You have to unscrew the end after each use to disconnect batteries (they'll die overnight if not). The threads finally quit on me, and the front end went flying out onto the floor (batteries too). Called LaserLyte, no problemo~ Send it back, they sent me a brand new one! Only problem is not having one for the 2 week turnaround. So, I bought a 2nd one! Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great trainer, February 2, 2011
Didn't know if it was worth it for the price. It was well worth it & more. I'll buy the caliber specific models when they are available. It increased my offhand accuracy measurably in just an evening. I became more aware of trigger finger placement by watching the dot waver. I saved a lot of ammo & had a lot of fun. Be very careful of the battery spring when replacing/removing the tiny disk that cuts the power. When it rolled away & got lost, LaserLyte customer support sent a replacement within two days. Great product, Great support

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy little tool with limitations, February 24, 2011
This thing is very slick but I have encountered a few problems with it. It worked great for about a 100 "shots" before it started to only light every 3 or 4th shot. Tried new batteries and the problem remained. I use it in my XD and if it isn't firmly in the barrel, it does start to wear on the cone part of the device where it meets the barrel. I also tried it in my 44 and it confirmed it's accuracy. A useful tool that will show you if you are jerking the trigger. Would I buy it again? Yes, the saving in ammo justifies the price. I only wish it was more reliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great training aid for the most part., February 11, 2011
First,I would like to say that this is a great invention. After practicing with it for what probably amounts to a couple of hours or less over the course of the past few weeks,("shooting" every bulls-eye sized item and imaginary bad guy in my house), my last two trips to the range showed obvious marked improvements in my skill level. I'm confident that it has probably already paid for itself in ammo and range fee expenses.
My only criticism concerns its occasional (every 25-50 shots or so) tendency to malfunction. Though it is usually easily remedied by re-positioning in the barrel or opening and re-closing the battery compartment, it can be a little annoying to have to interrupt the practice routine. One other small gripe:when I open it up, sometimes the spring falls out.
All in all though, other than the reliablity issue, I would have to say that it's an extremely effective training device and a lot of fun to use.

LaserLyte Pistol Laser Trainer (9, 40, 45-Caliber)
$109.95 $83.40