Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$42.99+ Free shipping

on May 25, 2012
There are a lot of perks to this fan vs. other Lasko models.
I have a Lasko tower fan that is about seven years old (cost around $50 then) and still works just fine, but the lowest setting on this pedastal fan is twice as powerful as the highest setting on the tower. Another downside to a tower fan is if you have it in the bedroom, 3/4 of the air it blows bounces off the mattress because the height is not adjustable. Same goes for Lasko box fans, which can also easily get knocked over by pets. (That happened to ours last year and a blade snapped right off).

When I took the pedestal fan out of the box, my expectations were low as it is made of some pretty flimsy looking plastic. Looks can be very deceiving. Assembly literally took 5 minutes and when I plugged it in I was amazed how powerful it is. Not silent, but not overwhelmingly loud either. Being able to adjust the height to very low and tilt the head toward the floor is best appreciated by our three kitties on dry, hot days in SoCal.

Bonus: Since the cover of the fan simply snaps into place, it will be a cinch to open up to clean off desert dust and cat hair that will inevitably collect. No screws in hard to get to places to bother with. No screws at all! Would definitely recommend and may even get a second for the office.
1010 comments|226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 26, 2014
This is an extremely light-weight portable fan ... almost entirely plastic, except for the motor unit.
It is very efficient, and it moves a tremendous amount of air, at a reasonable noise level.
The height is very adjustable, and it can oscillate smoothly (though we never use that feature).
I am amazed that you can buy a large, floor-standing, adjustable, oscillating fan of this quality for under $40.

We had previously purchased the 16" diameter Lasko fan on Amazon, and we were so impressed with it
that we bought this 18" Lasko fan... to give us some relief on those rare occasions that our air conditioner
stops working and needs repair.

I must say: even though the 18" model is just 2" larger than the 16" model... it moves at least 50% more air.
I encourage you to choose the 18" model for maximum effectiveness. It is a very impressive fan.
44 comments|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2013
I overall like this fan simply for its wind output, but there are a few things to consider about it when purchasing.

The good:
- The 18-inch blades move a lot of air
- The highest speed setting results in a hurricane warning being issued for your local area
- Really wide oscillation creates wall-to-wall airflow if you put the fan in a corner
- It's black, which is of course the coolest appliance color

The bad:
- Some assembly required. If you're not hot before you put this fan together, you will be once you're finished
- It's top-heavy and the extension pole doesn't lock in place, so it's susceptible to tipping over and pole shrinkage
- The remote only has on/off and speed controls; oscillation is controlled on the unit itself
- Suffers from SCS: short cord syndrome

All in all it's a decent fan in need of some tweaks.
77 comments|321 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2014
This took only two short days to arrive today. Thank you Amazon Prime for the free two day shipping! We are in the middle of a heat wave and I couldn't get this here fast enough for me. From reading the previous reviews I was concerned about the quality but figured it would really do well with moving air around. WOW was I wrong about the quality. This went together fast, within 15 minutes. NO tools needed to assemble. Only problem I had with the instructions was in the beginning when assembling the pole. Make sure the smooth, unfluted end of the pipe goes all the way through the plastic lock ring and that the smooth side is the end that needs to go into the motor.. Once you push the pole through the white plastic fixture, place the pole lock piece over the pole all the way to the white plastic pole lock ring and screw it clockwise until it holds the pole at the desired height. It's a little tricky, but after this it's smooth sailing through the rest of the assembly. Oh yeah, the front fan grill is a little tricky to hook down. But if you follow the directions and start at the top and work your way down the sides going back and forth you should be able to get it together with little aggravation.
Let me tell you this is one powerful fan. I have it raised to the maximum height and can feel the pull of the air circulating underneath it. Originally I was going to use this in the bedroom on a blanket box at the foot of the bed pointed down onto the bed but now after using it, it is too powerful to have blowing directly on me, even on the lowest speed. So I'm going to use it in the living room during the day to circulate the air conditioned air over the entire room and on cool evenings use it to bring the nice, cooler night air into the rooms from the windows.
It is a little noisier than I would like but is well worth the trade off of a little noise for the huge amount of air it moves around. Haven't used the oscillation yet but will with the a/c too. The electrical cord could be a little longer also.
I have bought many fans over the years and right off the bat can tell that this seems like one of the better ones. The pedestal is big and balances out the weight of the motor and grills well. Am not worried at all about it being top heavy and falling over. It's black and sleek and I love it already!

Well worth the money, especially being on sale right now. I have spent almost as much as this cost on a box fan that has a third the strength and power of this fan. Wish I had two more of them.
on November 26, 2010
this is a really nice fan and it oscilates too,i wasn't expecting that. for some reason every lasko i've ever bought has a soothing sound and so does this one. i love it! even on low it pushes alot of air. now there is some assembly to it. but it so easy even a caveman can do it!
on July 19, 2013
I read many reviews that said this fan was "flimsy" or cheaply made. I must respectfully disagree. Sure, it's not what you'd expect from a high-dollar fan, but for the price it can't be beat. I have several friends who have this product and I'm expecting many years of faithful service.
on February 26, 2013
Great five blade fan, I live in Hot Phoenix and this provides great airflow, good looks, It's a bit noisey (Air Rush) but I like it. it make a white noise to cancel out the barking dogs. going to get another one.
on April 15, 2015
Was put in packaging damaged, blade was folded in on its self, sent item back.
review image
on October 17, 2015
I needed a big fan fast to help survive the Southern California coastal heat wave. This fan was a bit of a surprise as it is all cheapish plastic components. All plastic - the blade, housing, grills, base, everything plastic. However, I was desperate and the price was right so I put it together and plugged it in. I had to follow the instructions to assemble, and putting the grids together involves snapping some flimsy plastic clippy pieces together and lining everything perfectly. I took about 15 minutes to assemble. It does seem surprisingly sturdy when assembled and in black looks pretty classy. Surprising because its a plastic fan. It moves the air very effectively even on the lowest setting. The giant base prohibits putting in tighter areas. I don't call it super quiet either. It is quiet enough to tolerate when the house is active, but gets noticeable as things quiet down. I did sleep with it on for one night. To give some scale, I am the type of person that keeps the TV on 15 volume on a scale of 0 - 70 so I may be more sensitive than others. The cord is also pretty short because it comes from the motor, so 3 feet of the 6 feet is taken dropping from motor to floor. I added an extension cord. 3 stars is due to all plastic construction which was unexpected at the $40 price point. And for the short cord.
review image review image review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 17, 2015
This fan was a great buy. It's nearly perfect for my own needs, but I'll list its qualities just in case some of them might not work so well for you.

It wasn't difficult to assemble. The hardest part was getting the front cage to snap on properly, but even that only took a few tries. And since the cage just hooks together rather than needing screws, popping it off to clean the blade will be a breeze. (Although, there's not much of a hook to those hooks, so I don't plan to pop the cage off any more than I absolutely have to. If those hooks wear down or break, then that's that.) Also, all you need to put it together is your own two hands. No tools needed.

It's very powerful. It moves a great deal of air, even on low (I haven't gone past medium yet; I'm afraid it might blow the cat across the room on high!), which is a relief. For two weeks when my A/C was out, I needed a fan that could cool me off even though the air it was moving was hot and humid. This fan blows with such force that even warm air movement is refreshing. And its force means you can set it at a fair distance and still feel it, but it's also strong enough to blow papers and stuff around if they're in the fan's path, even when they aren't particularly close to it.

The oscillator has a wide swing to it, about 90 degrees, which I suppose could either be a negative or a positive. If you want it to swing but still stay relatively contained at a small angle, you may not care for this. On the other hand, it's perfect when you have a small area of cool air (like a new portable a/c with a fairly puny blower) and want to distribute it far and wide.

The cord is fairly short—rather shorter than I would've liked, honestly. I didn't measure it, but I'd guess it to be maybe 6 feet. That could be a problem if you want to use it in a place without an outlet handy, but a cheap extension cord solved that problem for me. (Incidentally, there is no grounding prong on the plug, so you can use a 2-hole extension cord if necessary.)

The pole has a decent amount of extension to it; I'd say you can adjust the height by about a foot and a half. At its tallest, from base to motor is (again, this is an estimate) probably 4-1/2 feet. This makes it pretty versatile; you can stand it on the floor or shorten it and put it on a (large) table. At full length, though, that also makes it a bit top-heavy. It's fine if you leave it alone, but the cat knocked it over when I first put it together and now he's scared of it.

It's loud. Even on low it's pretty loud, compared to what I remember my last box fan sounding like. It doesn't bother me at all, but if you're someone looking for a fan for your bedroom, and you need quiet to sleep, you probably won't like this.

Seriously, I have a hard time imagining a fan with this small a footprint with as much power as this one has. I wish the cord were a bit longer, like I said, but that's really my only complaint. When the air conditioner died, it was a real lifesaver!