5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best little heaters around
Over the years, I've had all kinds of small heaters, both forced air and ceramic. This one takes the cake.

Like most other heaters of this price range, the thermostat doesn't work consistently all of the time, but it works as well or better than any other heater I've used.

What makes this heater great is that it really cranks out the heat! The low...
Published on October 14, 2009 by W. Hunt

3.0 out of 5 stars Fan is Noisy!
I've had this Lasko heater for 2+ years and it has worked like a charm... reliable, durable, a little soldier churning out heat. Controls are easy to use and there is a fan only setting for hot days. I keep it near me so the heat output is fine (not trying to heat up the entire room).

What I don't like about it though (and hence my 3 star rating) is the noise...
Published on January 21, 2010 by T. Gillett

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best little heaters around, October 14, 2009
This review is from: Lasko 5429 Oscillating Ceramic Heater (Health and Beauty)

What makes this heater great is that it really cranks out the heat! The low setting is great for a small room like a bathroom, and the high setting can bring up the temperature of my large living room in a very short time. I'm really impressed with its heating abilities.

It isn't silent, but it's as quiet as anything else out there. If I turn it on while watching TV, I might have to turn up the volume one or two clicks, but that's it. I doubt it would be prohibitive to sleeping, if you want it in your bedroom.

The oscillation isn't something I've used a whole lot, but eyeballing it, I'd say it rotates somewhere between 45 and 60 degrees.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fan is Noisy!, January 21, 2010
T. Gillett "tg94901" (San Rafael, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lasko 5429 Oscillating Ceramic Heater (Health and Beauty)

What I don't like about it though (and hence my 3 star rating) is the noise from the fan --- it's soooo loud; too loud to have in my office when I'm on the phone, and too loud in the room when the tv is on. If you want white noise when you fall asleep, this is the fan for you. But I'm looking for a new QUIET heater to replace this unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, but could be better, February 5, 2009
Abe (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I did a lot of research online and got a Honeywell ceramic heater from Target. I wasn't happy with it and took it back.

Then I got this one, the Lasko oscillating ceramic heater. I guess I will keep it, but not because it's super great; I just don't expect that I could find anything better.

I like that it has two settings (low = 875 W, high = 1500 W), because my apartment wiring is not great and it worries me when it switches on and all the lights dim. Since I'm just using it to supplement a flaky hot water radiator, I don't usually need to run it on high. I've been running it for about 3 weeks, on low, using about 130 W on average. I just set it on low and use the thermostat to try to keep the temperature in the room stable.

The thermostat, though, is rather schizophrenic. I guess this is a problem with all of these little electric heaters, though, since the Honeywell I returned was even worse. I want this heater to just sit in the corner and turn on when needed to keep the temperature in the room constant, since my main heater varies too much in temperature, but I find myself adjusting the thermostat back and forth pretty regularly because it doesn't behave consistently from one day to the next. The settings are different for high and low mode, too, presumably since it heats up its own thermostat and shuts off prematurely.

In low mode (1), I have it almost to the lowest setting to get the room to stay at 65-70 F. I often find it turning on when the room is already warm, and not turning on when the room is cold. In high mode (2), I have to turn it up towards the top to maintain the same temperature. I am sure they could have compensated for any self-heating effects and made the thermostat more accurate no matter what the circumstances, but they didn't bother.

It doesn't have any kind of tip-over safety switch, but the other ceramic heater didn't either. Maybe it's not as critical with these because the outside surface doesn't get too hot. I can actually touch most of the surface of the front grill while it's on high and not get burned. It has an overheat protection switch, which would probably trigger if it fell onto something that blocked the flow of air, but I've never seen it activate.

I don't find it terribly loud, but I have a jet engine of a humidifier in the same room (Holmes garbage), so maybe I'm biased.

It also has a (20 W) fan-only mode, which could theoretically make the unit useful in warmer weather, too. The fan is apparently hard-wired to the thermostat in every mode, though. You might think that a thermostat-controlled fan is a good thing, and I would too, except that the fan is stupidly connected with the same functionality as in the heater modes, so the fan turns ON when the room is cold, and turns OFF when the room is hot. Duh.

Oh, it also oscillates. I care so little about this feature I almost forgot it had it. It seems to circulate air just fine whether this is on or off. I'd be happier if they left out the oscillation and spent the money on better temperature regulation. It might be even better if the thermostat could switch it from low to high when needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little heater., February 2, 2009
This review is from: Lasko 5429 Oscillating Ceramic Heater (Health and Beauty)
I have only had this for a few weeks so I can't vouch for its long-term durability. But this heater is designed very nicely. It looks and feels of good quality materials. Other positives:

* soft quiet sound very easy to sleep with
* elegant and practical handle
* oscillates to spread the heat around a little (cute little R2D2)
* small footprint but stable

I use the heater in a 10 x 10 room. I haven't set the thermostat dial above 3 out of 10, even when it's been 10 F. outside. I usually keep it in low power mode. But I'm not very demanding that way so if you need a really strong fan blowing high heat or if you prefer the direct warm feeling of glowing radiant heat you might not be satisfied.

Shortly before getting this "Lasko Oscillating Ceramic Heater" I had tried and returned two unsatisfactory heaters. One was a poor quality $20 heater ("DeLonghi DFH132"). The other, which I bought at WalMart for around $34, was one of those old radiant heaters (a couple of feet long with wires strung back and forth) which was unacceptably loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice heater, November 24, 2010
This review is from: Lasko 5429 Oscillating Ceramic Heater (Health and Beauty)
I purchased this Lasko ceramic heater (model 5429) at Target after reading all the rave reviews that people wrote. I was not disappointed in my decision to buy this particular heater. I honestly can't find anything to complain about. It works very well, I especially like the oscillating action, and find that the heat gets more evenly distributed throughout the room because of it. People that don't like the oscillating feature can just not turn it on, at least you have a choice.
As far as noise level, I don't find that it's any noisier than any other heater I've ever used, in fact it's probably quieter than most. I am extremely pleased with this small but mighty little heater. The last test for me will be when I receive my electric bill. To heat my small livingroom to a comfortable temperature, I put the control on the low setting. I find that works just fine, without using the higher (1500 watt), more costlier heat setting. And because the heater works so well, I only have to put it on the third notch temperature setting, to get the results I need. Also the instruction manual is so simple, you don't need an engineering degree to understand it.
I would highly recommend this mighty little heater. The cost is fairly cheap, but the quality is outstanding. You don't see that very often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied, January 3, 2010
A. Richards (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lasko 5429 Oscillating Ceramic Heater (Health and Beauty)
This heater successfully heats up small areas without taking up a lot of space. It's sturdy, solid, and doesn't get hot on the outside. It sounds like a regular room fan on a high setting. It smells really "toxic" at first, but that goes away after a couple uses. It warms up my unheated front porch to about 68F even when it's -10F outside.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the instructions, January 1, 2011
This review is from: Lasko 5429 Oscillating Ceramic Heater (Health and Beauty)
FIRST OF ALL, as another user pointed out, in order to get the thermostat to work correctly, you must turn on the unit, crank the thermostat to the highest setting, and then once you are comfortable, turn the dial towards cool until you get to a position where the heater turns off. Each time you power on the unit, you need to repeat this process. Otherwise, the thermostat function will not work correctly.

The heater is not THAT loud. I have no trouble sleeping with it on. I use it in my 10 x 10 bedroom and it does not heat the whole room (but I only use it at the "1" setting). It works as more of a spot heater, so I set it about 4 feet away and pointed directly at me while I sleep. I hook it up to a kitchen timer so it's on for about an hour, then shuts off by the time I'm asleep, then turns back on about 30 minutes before I normally wake up. If you do this, make sure you have a timer that is rated for the proper watt load. Also keep in mind that the thermostat function will not work if you do this (since it needs to be re-calibrated each time you turn on the unit).

For your reference, I live in an apartment with fairly good insulation, and in an area where the outside temperature is usually around 20 degrees F with no wind chill.

I have had the unit for 1 week now, so I cannot give feedback on the durability. If it ever breaks, I will update my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent heater; Not Child Safe, December 18, 2010
This review is from: Lasko 5429 Oscillating Ceramic Heater (Health and Beauty)
I purchased the Lasko 5429 Ocillating Ceramic Heater for my toddler's room, which is the coldest room in the house. I bought it for the temperature control option, which allows the heater to turn on and warm the room as needed without running continuously and making the room uncomfortably warm. It does a great job of heating the room quickly. The heater makes great 'white noise' while my son sleeps (but is not too loud), but it blends with the noise from the fan that we run specifically for that purpose. The product manual states that each time the heater is used, you should turn the temperature all the way up until you're comfortable and then turn it back until the unit shuts off. Then, it will turn on as needed to maintain your chosen temperature/comfort level. So far, I have followed that advice and I do not have an issue with the heater sporadically heating (or not heating) the room as other reviews have noted. Unfortunately, I do not have a high surface on which to place the heater, which would be helpful because the front gets very hot. Therefore, I am currently running the heater during naps and nighttime only to avoid getting any burns on my toddler. I have a Holmes space heater that does not get so hot on the surface when in use; however, it does not have temperature control and would make the bedroom too hot. Overall, I am happy with this heater and would recommend it to others... especially for the great price of $34.99 + free shipping that I found on Amazon!! (Unlike walmart.com, which was charging $51 PLUS shipping!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, December 9, 2010
This review is from: Lasko 5429 Oscillating Ceramic Heater (Health and Beauty)
Works great, never even have to use the high setting it warms that well. The addition to my electric bill has been well worth the savings on my gas bill by using this space heater at night. Would definitely recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Heater, November 22, 2010
Kristal Quinn (Clear Lake, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lasko 5429 Oscillating Ceramic Heater (Health and Beauty)
I used this Heater as both a heater and a fan for my cubicle in my office. It works perfect for the small space. It heats up my area a lot and also can cool it down. Works like a charm and is pretty quiet.

Lasko 5429 Oscillating Ceramic Heater