5.0 out of 5 stars Heated a spa room
Published on November 23, 2008 by Phyllis A. Gauker

2.0 out of 5 stars Was great for a while
This heater was great when it worked. I got it for the remote control. Had it for almost 2 years with fairly light use under my desk at work, no more than 4 hours in a single day. I'm in northern CA so the weather isn't extreme. Won't stay on now no matter what we do. Seems like it should have lasted longer than 2 years.
Published on December 3, 2009 by P. Hudson

5.0 out of 5 stars Heated a spa room, November 23, 2008
This review is from: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater (Kitchen)
I had a particular heating problem. I have a spa room built outside the house over an old cement patio about 6 feet from my back door, so it does not have access to the central heat. The room is not insulated, and has about 1/3 glass windows so I can look out into the yard while in the tub. I'm telling you all this so you will understand that the area is not easily heated. It is used for only short periods of time, so I didn't want to heat it 24/7. Without heating, the room is probably only 4 degrees warmer than the outdoor temperature.

In very cold weather, without a supplemental source of heat, I simply cannot abide undressing in 40° or less, even if the spa itself is nice and warm. So I bought a series of inexpensive heaters, none of which would do anything except heat the few feet around the heater. Then I saw the Laslo which said it had a "push" system to get the heat into the room. Having no idea what the "push" entailed, I bought it, knowing I could return this heater, as I'd done with the previous two, if it did not fill my needs. But I did not need to return it. It works for my purpose.

The unit is attractive, is tall and narrow so can fit into a small area, yet throw out heat sufficient to allow me to undress, use the spa, and re-dress in comfort. Then I turn it off. (I preheat the room easily using the digital brightly lit, large LCD thermostat which shows the ambient temperature, and moves up as the room heats. This a.m. the room started at 43° and now, after 15 minutes, it is up to 50° already. If I open the lid of the spa it will heat even more rapidly, of course). The room contains 3 exercise machines, also, so we can now exercise in comfort, as well. I have no need for the remote control which comes with the unit since I'm either in water or on a machine while using it.

I highly recommend this heater.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heater as Furnace, November 5, 2010
This review is from: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater (Kitchen)
This will be my 3rd winter with this heater. I live in a cabin, (yes literally a cabin), but it is insulated and is small enough that it doesn't have a furnace. I use this heater in my main living space. It stays on all winter once the temperature begins to drop below freezing and has worked really well.

Efficiency
This heater does a good job of maintaining a comfortable living temperature. I set the temperature as I would a thermostat adjusting it to around 60 when I am going to be gone a long time, and raising it when I am home. I did find that if let the ambient temperature get two low while I am away, it will take the heater a long time to warm up the entire place, so I have a second smaller space heater that I use intermittently just to offset any excessive winter chill.

Thermostat Accuracy:
The digital thermostat is fairly accurate once the heat is circulated throughout the room , however, when it first turns on there may be up to a five degree difference in temperature based on how far away you are from the heater. When I return home I usually se the thermostat a few degrees higher than my target temperature and turn it down after I have been home awhile. I have another thermostat on the opposite side of the room, as well as a ceiling fan and have found that after about 20 minutes or so the ambient temperature evens out.

Cost vs other heat sources
This heater produces a LOT of heat and so will use a lot of electricity if run continuously as I do. For comparison I had been paying hundreds of dollars to heat my apartment when I had gas but running this heater as my sole heat source (on high) will cost me between 40 and $100 per month depending on how cold it is. We had a month last year where it was regularly 14 to 30 degrees below zero for more than two weeks and this heater kept me warm, but it added about $100 to my electric bill. So if you have a primary heat source other than this one, remember to turn it down as low as possible, and to block off unused areas or you will counteract any savings this powerful little heater might provide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Heater, November 29, 2009
Torrey Pines (Bethesda, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater (Kitchen)
The heater work well in that it heats the room by several degrees (starting at 69) in just a few minutes. We used it last night for the first time in our 14'x15'x8' bedroom and after some experimentation put the thermostat at 75 degrees. The instructions say that in the automatic mode the unit will radiate heat until 77 degrees is reached and shut off at 74 degrees. It does shut off when the LED indicates the room temp. at 74 and stays on until 76 degrees (not 77). However, there is a disconnect between the digital thermometer in my room and the one on the heater. My digital thermometer indicates a low of 71.4 F. and a high of 75.4 F. I'm willing to live with that and the trick is to not be concerned about what's on the LED of the heater but what is the actual temperature of your room. I've never seen any heater's temp readout be accurate. Will exchanging it matter? I don't know, but if the room were to become too cold or hot during a given cycle I would exchange it. There seems to be no such thing as a perfect heater, so compromises need to be made. I find it confusing that there are about seven Lasko heaters within the same price range but numbered differently so I was not able to determine which one would best for my needs. I got this one because it was the only Lasko they had at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

I think the heater is worth a try. The fan on high is not very loud, although you can readily hear it. I'm a light sleeper and I had no problem going to sleep with it on. It's a lot less noisy that the top-rated Vornado I own. Heaters with no fans don't distribute the heat very well so that was not an option for me; I knew there would be some noise with any fan. Would I buy this heater again? Yes, knowing what I know now, and I will follow up if my experience changes over the next several days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and attractive, October 29, 2008
This review is from: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater (Kitchen)
This ceramic space heater has two fan speeds. Both speeds are quiet considering their blowing strength. The heater can oscillate, moving about 45 angle degrees back and forth on its little lower section; this is very smooth, not jumpy like some cheap oscillating fans. The room temperature is displayed normally on a very bright LED readout that shows the set temperature once you go to set the built-in thermostat. All the buttons are easy to access and give a light beep for confirmation. You can turn oscillation on or off, set high or low fan speed, set temperature, or use an automatic shutoff timer up to 8 hours. Looks great, with a great fit and finish.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was great for a while, December 3, 2009
This review is from: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater (Kitchen)

4.0 out of 5 stars I especially like the remote control and timer features, January 12, 2010
This review is from: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater (Kitchen)
This is my second winter using the Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater. I'd say it functions more as a personal heater than a whole room heater, but that suits my needs. The tower is portable enough to be moved between rooms as needed, and this allows me to keep our central heating thermostat set fairly low.

I especially like the remote control and timer features. I use the remote to turn the heater on a few minutes before getting up and the timer to automatically shut it off shortly after going to sleep. I'm not sure this unit is strong enough to heat large spaces with high ceilings, but it does a very nice job providing focused heat in an energy efficient manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Extremely Long Lasting Heater, January 7, 2014
Cory Baughn (Birmingham, AL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater (Kitchen)
I have used this thing for years, and I mean years of winters by my desk. It has run all night for 5 months on end for the past three years and has never, ever stopped working or oscillating. It is by far the best value on the market and is a LONG lasting heater. It puts out VERY hot air and the thermometer is very accurate if the space around it is well ventilated. Couldn't ask for more out of a $55 heater.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light Sleepers Beware, January 19, 2013
This review is from: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater (Kitchen)
We just bought this heater last week to heat our bedroom overnights. It's not a huge room, so it heats it just fine, and keeps an even heat. Not sure about longevity yet.
There were a few negatives that I noticed right away though. The first (and this is not listed anywhere in the product info) is that it has to be on HIGH for the auto function to work, it does not work on the LOW setting. But ok I can deal with that. The thing I don't like most about it though, is that when it's on auto it makes a series of clicking sounds before it turns off. It is quiet while it's running, and I do not hear it turn ON. But before it turns off, it clicks about a half dozen times. Most people probably wouldn't even hear those clicks (indeed, my husband doesn't) but I am a very light sleeper, and it IS enough to wake me up. The second my husband is out of the room in the mornings to head to work, I turn it off. If you are a very light sleeper, I'd say pass on this one.
If I had it to do over >> we have a DeLonghi Safeheat TCH6690ER Ceramic Heater in our sons room, that he's used for almost two years now, and it is super quiet. I'd recommend that one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loud, finicky thermostat will return.., January 21, 2010
This review is from: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater (Kitchen)
i bought this unit based on the positive reviews about this fan being fairly quiet and the temperature regulator feature but as soon as i saw the remote and plugged the unit i was very skeptical and well, it did not meet my expectations.

first, the fan on the unit only has 1 setting and its LOUD. The 2 quiet settings is probably just a marketing come on for potential buyers but it does not really exist. Instead the "HI" and "LOW" settings is for the power it consumes/uses. I'm not exaggerating the noise level at all. It drowns out both the ceiling fan and the stand fan I had turned on to test the effectiveness of the temperature regulation feature which by the way jumps from 67 degrees to 79 degrees within a few seconds.

I'm enthusiastic about updated appliances that incorporates today's technology as I'm an avid DIY'er, professional engineer and circuit designer but it is just disappointing when I come across a like this that barely performs it's advertised features.

This is one appliance that cannot do it's job properly and is something that i would not recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great heater!!, December 8, 2013
This review is from: Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater (Kitchen)
I really love this heater. It puts out great heat on both it's high and low settings without being too much of an energy drain. My previous heater caused my lamp to flicker a bit when on, this heater does not. The oscillation is roughly 90 degrees, definitely not 180, but that works perfectly for me. It doesn't take long to heat up the 165 sq ft room I have it in. Having the remote is great so that you don't have to walk over to the heater for any adjustments, they're all on the remote. It also has a fairly quiet operation (on both settings).

Only cons...
This heater beeps with every button press (whether with the remote or on the unit), it won't bother everyone but it's not the quietest beep. Also, I wish that for the automatic temperature control I had the option to use the low setting. Instead, it defaults to high and is unchangeable.

Overall, a great space heater.

Lasko 5521 Ceramic Tower Heater