Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon November 30, 2007
It is somewhat dishonest to call this a 'Lassie' film. This film never excited in me the same feelings as many of the older Lassie films. However, there are some positive aspects to this film.

First, Lassie (1994) is considerably more contemporary than most 'Lassie' films yet has a collie as the hero. (This might interest children ages 8 through 13 who enjoy action and dogs.)

Second, the film has a theme I appreciate - a theme of reaching out to others when others treat you cruely or degradingly.

Third, the film kept my attention more than other Lassie films or films with canine stars.

[While I enjoyed Old Yeller and Air Bud (1998), many dog films such as The Shaggy Dog (both 1959 and 2006), Where the Red Fern Grows, Shiloh, Far From Home, etc. either were incredible unrealistic or failed to keep my attention for long.]

However, there is merit in the response, "This film is too violent and uses foul language." While this Lassie film is no Stand By Me or Jaws, it isn't Mr. Roger's Neighborhood either. Some words are included in this film that parents may not appreciate their five year olds hearing, and some scenes (while not very violent) have undertones that are more likely to 'scare' parents than children.

I do not desire to give away the plot to the reader. However, the film begins with Lassie's real owner being killed in a tractor-trailer accident on wet roads. Based on this description, it is possible for the reader to further realize this is not a "sugar-coated" motion picture.

Overall, I would recommend this film to parents who have allowed their children to view 101 Dalmatians (live action) and/or films such as To Kill a Mockingbird. However, for parents with young children, Lassie films such as Lassie Come Home (1943) and Lassie (2006) might be more children friendly.
VINE VOICEon November 22, 2003
Very enjoyable update of the classic Lassie film, even if the villain of the piece is so stereotypical it's laughable (he uses guns and chews tobacco, so he must be a bad guy, right?). Gorgeous scenery filmed on location in West Virginia and the kids aren't goodie-goodies but reasonably real children. Richard Farnsworth is wonderfully warm as the grandfather. A big plus is the score by Basil Poledoris, which I enjoyed so much I bought it on CD after the film was released.
on August 18, 2001
this movie is very good ! i love watching all the t.v. shows with Lassie and i love watching Lassie save poples lives ! i think "Marge and Bob" should get a life.... Tom Guiry is a great actor. and he does a great job playing Matt in the movie. so if you have not seen this movie... I WOULD SEE IT !! its a great movie for all ages !
on December 15, 2015
This movie was filmed in my county near my home here in Southwest Virginia. I found out when our town recently started doing movie night and chose this movie as the first showing since several of the extras in the movie still live here. We lived in another state when it was filmed so I had no idea. We ended up not being able to go see it at the town's showing so I bought it on here. My kids loved this movie. I love the scene when the family wakes up in the morning after having arrived in town on a cold rainy night and they all look out their separate windows and are taken aback by the beautiful view. We have that same view of the mountain range behind our house and it is one of the many reasons we enjoy living here. If we did not live here we would still love this movie. It has a really great plot. There are moments when I was crying like a baby. This movie is very underrated. It should have been a new classic yet I had never even heard they did a remake of Lassie. Just such a great story. The only think I did not like about the movie was how unbelievable the bad guy in the movie was for this area. He seemed like he rode in from Texas or something. lol
on January 7, 2015
In a throwback to the first Lassie film and the early TV series, Lassie once again adopts a young boy and positively affects his life with love and loyalty.

Sure, nitpickers will say it's not an original plot, but the tried and true formula works well here. The scenery is beautiful, the human acting competent (with one exception), and we see the most cosmetically beautiful Lassie to date. Knowing that this dog is a direct descendant of the original, being handled by the original trainer's son, is just icing on the cake. The overall effect is heartwarming and sentimental.

The one character I found to be poorly acted was that of the villain, a neighboring rancher. His portrayal is a cheap caricature in a part that could have been made much more complex. Fortunately, his impact on the film as a whole is minimal.

If you love Lassie, you'll be in good hands and familiar territory.
on March 13, 2001
I thought it was a very lovey film which was filmed beautifully and contained beautiful music! Thomas Guiry did a wonderful job as Matt! A young boy who having lost his mother feels more alone and left out than anything! Even though his stepmother(Helen Slater in one of her best performances) tries to be there for him no matter what, he finds a true friendship and love with a dog named Lassie! With this very new version of Lassie, they treated the legend very fair, and showed us a clip from the old Lassie TV show! You will love this film!
on December 21, 2012
This in my opinion is the best Lassie movie of all time.No other Lassie movie compares to it ever because it is just that good.It was filmed close to where I live so I know the area and I love the area because it is so beautiful.
on December 9, 1999
I rented this video for my kids, ages 2 and 8, thinking it was the old-time Lassie flick. Was surprised to hear a comment about "Nintendo" early in the film, and references to skateboarding. But this modern remake is true to the story and my kids were thrilled with the movie, asking to see it again and again and also asking Santa for their own copy.
on August 17, 2006
Matt is a journor high student who's family is moving from Baltimor to the country farm in Virginia where his late mother grew up. The bitterness and resentment, as well as the goodness, deep inside of Matt's heart, are realisically portayed as he relates to his Dad, his sister, and Laura, his step-mom. Lassie, a stray the family takes in, soon finds her way into the withdrawn boy's heart, and helps him change into the responsible, intelligent, and warmhearted young man he was meant to be. But their new-life in the country threatens to unravel when the construction job that Matt's Dad moved there for falls through. But Matt encourages his Dad to hold onto the farm, and try raising sheep on their pasture land (which is the best for miles around), with Lassie's help. A touching family movie, with convincing and crisp acting, emotion, and drama. Makes you laugh and cry. The slang has changed a lot since the 90's, however, giving this movie a slightly out-moded feel. Is it just me, or do teenagers really say "cool" anymore? I'm a teenager and I still do, but I think most teengers say "awesome" or "rad". But even if this isn't a classic, it's a show I'll always like.
on February 17, 2004
This movie is a refreshing updated version of good old Lassie family movies!! It is predictable in plot, but in a comfortable way. My 3 sons, aged 10 years old-3 1/2 years old, all enjoy this delightful show. It is hard to find a movie with traditional family values that entertains the whole family. A dog-lovers must have DVD!!