Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Customer Discussions > The Art of Racing in the Rain forum

Last Chapter (contains spoiler)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2011 8:36:16 PM PST
Don't get me wrong...I really enjoyed this book. But I really thought the last chapter was going too far. Not everything needs to be wrapped up so neatly. I half expected the kid to start scratching himself...or worse. To me, it felt like an afterthought, suggested by an editor who wanted a feel-good ending.

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 8:51:00 PM PDT
Doreen says:
I know what you mean about the pat ending. But, for some reason, it worked for me. I needed to be in total tears by the end of this book. I was so attached to this dog.

Posted on Apr 30, 2011 8:37:39 PM PDT
Andrew says:
I think the ending made the book for me, but as a massive racing fan, I think the entire book may have made a bit more sense to me, the last chap even more so. Not to be rude, but if you don't understand the significance of Imola, Italy (the title of the last chap) or Ayrton Senna (the driver to whom he makes most references throughout the book), please watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNmqn3heGgE
They even talk about the 1993 race to which Enzo makes references multiple times as "the greatest exhibition of driving talent" at around 9:57.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 9:51:13 PM PDT
I fully agree with you Steven. I would have been much more satisfied with the possibility of turning into a man, than really becoming a person for Enzo. I read it and was irritated.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 9:43:48 PM PDT
A. Baker says:
Steven - I agree. Think someone on Amazon referred to this as a "Hollywood ending." It was just a tad over the top for my taste and could have been omitted. That said, it was still a great book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 11, 2011

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Art of Racing in the Rain
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (Hardcover - 2008)
4.7 out of 5 stars (6,160)