Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: Audio CDChange

on August 26, 2012
This album offers very little in the way of sounding like cassic Lynyrd Skynyrd. Once or if one is able to get passed that, there's plenty to like here. I think this is the best album song for song that they've recorded since 1993's The Last Rebel. If you're wanting highlights, I'd recommend the following tracks: Last Of A Dyin' Breed, One Day At A Time, Homegrown, Honey Hole, Life's Twisted, Start Livin' Life Again and Do It Up Right (only available on the deluxe edittion). I listed 7 songs and I don't think I might have liked about that many songs in all between their last 2 studio albums (2003's Vicious Cycle and 2009's God & Guns). Oh, and about the criticism they've gotten for appearin Fox & Friends...get over it people. If Springsteen, The Eagles and countless other leftist artists can do fundraisrs for liberal candidates and not incur your wrath, then Skynyrd should be afforded that same respect.
on September 6, 2012
Why o why does Amazon bundle up all the reviews on the various release formats of the new Skynyrd album. There is the standard release, the deluxe version and for some of us, the Classic Rock Fanpack version featuring the new album, with some slightly different bonus tracks, a full color 132 page magazine about the new album, interviews with all members, and stories of the past, present, and future. Plus there is a review of every Skynyrd album pre and post plane crash, as well as the best live and compliation offerings. There is also an exclusive poster, pin and keychain. The whole deal cost $20.00 through the UK magazine website, and it totally worth it for the TRUE Skynyrd fanatic! The magazine alone is worth the price, and you get a better understanding of why the band continues to record and tour, and believe me, it's not just about the money. The new album is pretty darn good. Not comparable to the old stuff, but this is a different Skynyrd now, and with that in mind, their winning streak that started with Vicious Cycle continues with Last of a Dyin' Breed. Really good rock n roll, something that the Stones or The Who making new albums in this day and age, would not be classics like their 70's stuff is, but good old rock and roll. Definitely worth picking up if your a fan, and if you are slurge a bit and get either the deluxe version or the fan pack.
on August 27, 2012
welp. i been lestin too these rascals since i 1st herad freebird . yeah i,m a dern redneck from Mississippi in the country and do drrink a lotta beer but thass no matter i know this is the best set o southern rock i bought in a looongass time and sure as shit beats any o that other crap out cept the black keys yje new Savoy brown and some othe r ones. anyhow if ya liked Viscious cyclke and ya like good ole music ya will like this un. trk. 1 and trk 10 are my favorites but them others are mostly good too i aint much on the slow ones tho. honey hole started slow but that sunofagun kicked my butt. damn goood tunes lynyrd thanx fer keepin the music goin. harry, i didnt mean the keys was better , i jus mean it aint a whole lotta music out there thaT rocks me right. i dunno if this makes since but its a fine damn cd this is the long version too/ course this is my opion like man vs food picked a samich woth brocolli on there it aint good. ya,ll no what i mean i hope.
on November 26, 2012
Read a few reviews on the new album, seems to me some people just over analyse things. Thing is, over the past decade the music scene has been shocking to say the least . Have been a fan of the Southern Rock music seen since the early seventys when i first heard the Outlaws, these boys can play. Then Skynyrd quickly followed into my life, alas many years have passed, and many members passed on,( we know the history), so when ordering the new Outlaws album it was suggested i might like the new Skynyrd album as well , bloody well right I do. This album has restored my faith in music, after all the years gone, the boys and Ladys, STILL HAVE IT,!!!! from start to finish LOVE IT LOVE IT. Living in Australia , doubt I will ever get a chance to see the band live, but keep on doin what your doin and i will keep buying your music, BLOODY FANTASTIC. COLIN ,Perth, Western Australia.
on September 7, 2012
Lynyrd Skynyrd's new release Last of A Dyin' Breed proves the Skynyrd still rocks,they are known for songs that convey the feelings of the working class hero , that holds true and then some on this release , lifes twisted, nothing comes easy,and something to live for, hit the mark and say things we all feel or have felt about being where we are in the times that we now endure.With a sound reminiscent of classic Skynyrd with a modern vibe, this album rocks .
I hope people will give it a good listen and get past the "it aint the real Skynyrd " mentality,The Classic line up was great and we all love and miss them,but things change and I think Ronny Van Zant would be proud, after all they had a Good Teacher
on October 21, 2012
This a great cd. I would highly recommend. The name of the cd pretty much sums it up. I've enjoyed all of the songs!
on December 11, 2012
This last Skynyrd is not as good as "God & Guns" but is a pretty good record. I find myself liking the slower songs more than the rockers, I am getting dangerously close to fifty, but the general feeling is positive. I think my favorite song for now is ""Something to live for" but that could change. ""One day at a time", "Ready to fly" and "Honey Hole" I like a lot. The record improves with time. High number of fine songs. As for the ongoing debate, definitely not the best Skynyrd out there, Ronnie is not coming back and this is what we have. Happy to be able to listen what they produce, happy to take it "one day at a time". I hope this helps someone.
on December 23, 2012
The title pretty much sums it up. All of us "old line" R'nR's are going fast. Maybe it was the lifestyle, or maybe we just worked too damned hard for our country, either way, we're falling by the wayside in droves. I seem to have the peculiar position of observer and participator at one and the same time. Try to imagine my pain. You can't.
Nonetheless, Skynyrd has done very well with this release, even positing that there's only one original member present. The guitar work is almost flawless, and the lyricist is on the right track to extend the band's continuance.
on August 21, 2012
Having been a long-time Lynyrd Skynyrd fan of both the pre-crash and post crash era I was anxious to see how this album would sound with yet another original Skynyrd member gone (Billy Powell).

The album has some "highs and lows".....It starts off very good with the tracks "Last of a Dyin Breed" and "One day at a time". Two well written songs that are performed in good classic Skynyrd style. These songs are definitely the highlights of the album and likely the only songs that will get any play time on tour or radio.

The third song on the album "Homegrown" takes a severe right turn to nowhere. Not sure why or how that song even made the album. Very bad lyrics, terrible flow and nothing that resembles any sign of classic Skynyrd sound. Just killed the momentum that the album started out with. Definitely the worst song on the album.

The bottom line...........if you are a fan of classic Skynyrd sound you will find some love for the tunes "Last of a Dyin' Breed"...."One day at a time" and "Ready to Fly". The rest of the album is just "OK". Nothing really stands out as something you will want to listen to time and time again. The guitars are very heavy and edgy sounding at times and continually drown out Johnny Vanzants voice on some songs. This was never the case with past material. Unfortunately, the signature "dual guitar" sound that many fans crave on many of the classic tunes are not heard much on this album. The loss of Billy Powell is very evident. Those honky-tonk piano solos are sadly gone. Billy was such a huge part in the sound of the band that I knew couldn't be replaced.

"Last of a Dyin Breed" is not a great album, nor is it a bad album. Just somewhere in the middle would be fair judgement. That's why I gave it 3 stars. This album could have easily been a 2-star rating if it had not been for a handful of songs that are good. It also could have been a 4 star rating had all the songs had the same classic style and sound as the first two songs on the album.

I'd like to see Skynyrd continue to tour and do albums but only if they can get back to writing material and produce the sound that brings them back to their classic sound and style. I would like to see them get guys like Ed King back in the fold to at least provide some writing skills. Other similar style musicians like Charlie Daniels, Hank Williams Jr.,Jeff Carlisi would be a good idea to bump ideas for future material providing this isn't the last Skynyrd album we hear.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2012
Johnny, Rickey and the boys have launched another Rock and Roll Classic. This album Takes the last album ... God & Guns one step further. It weaves touching tales about the hard times and misfortunes suffered by the common man. It also looks back at how life should be. I am a staunch Skynyrd fan and take to heart every lyric on this gem. If you haven't heard any of the tunes give it a listen. You'll definitely want to add this one to your collection.