5.0 out of 5 stars top shelf steam punk
Last Exile is one of those series that is very hard to rate. To my mind, this is one of the best steam punk series around, though I do have a few issues with some of the plot development.

Published on June 19, 2011 by suburban dissident

3.0 out of 5 stars Great characters
Published on December 2, 2011 by H. B. Zachry

5.0 out of 5 stars top shelf steam punk, June 19, 2011
This review is from: Last Exile: The Complete Series (DVD)

Range Murata's (Blue Submarine 6) art and character designs are fantastic (if you haven't seen his work, do look for some of his art books) and present a visually stunning setting. Everything from clothing, to ships, to towns, cities, mountains and clouds are visually compelling.

The characters are all memorable from the Silvana's maintenance crew all the way up the Alex the enigmatic and vindictive captain. Klaus and Lavi make for a wonderful duo as Klaus' kind, even-keel nature mixes well with Lavi's rambunctious spunk and insecurity. And Tatiana Wisla may be one of my favorite anime characters ever (be still my heart!). There are too many to list, and each comes across as more than the sum of their 2D parts.

Honestly, the only gripes that I have with the series are that (1) Dio's arc is woefully unsatisfactory given the dramatic way it is built up and developed and (2) the wrap up of the story is just a little too fast. There are so many complex and interesting subplots that this was, to some extent, inevitable. But, that doesn't change the fact of it.

Those caveats aside, this series is a must (what ever form you view it in...I am not good at technical comparisons) for any anime or steam punk fan, and honestly would be enjoyable for just about any viewer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Show, but not so great release, July 25, 2011
This review is from: Last Exile: The Complete Series (DVD)
Last Exile is about two orphaned children, Claus Valca and Lavie Head, who have a passion for flying, and they even make a living from it. During a race, a fellow pilot crashes into them and turns his mission over to them. Surprisingly, the mission has a seven star danger rating, which scares Lavie, but Claus goes through with it. However, this one mission brings them into a new kind of life, one of danger, as well as good times.

The story had a very nice start and all the characters were enjoyable. In these adult years of our lives, we rarely live out our dreams, but Claus and Lavie definitely enjoy doing courier missions. Claus can be stubborn, but he always tries to help people, the best he can. Also, I actually liked how the lip syncing was right. Now, let me get this straight, the first time I saw this show was on Netflix and I enjoyed it there, but there was a big problem, which was the fact that the audio did not match what I was seeing. That kind of was a bad impression on me, but thankfully, the dub was not like this on the DVD release. Many anime also seem to only have character movement, but I saw birds flying around and even the waves of strong wind move, not something that is encountered a lot in Japanese animation. The start of the story was interesting, the DVD had better audio timing than the Netflix stream, and the movement of the wind could be seen.

I cannot say that there is a whole lot I dislike, but one thing in particular did stand out as a bit annoying. That particular item is something than comes between the episodes. No, it is not the little things for commerical interruptions, which happen during the episodes. This problem occurs after every few episodes and that is the picture of a girl sitting somewhere and a thing that says, "See You on the Next Flight." This appears on every episode that is divisible by four on the first three discs and every three episodes on the last disc, of the four disc set. Okay, this makes sense for the old individual sets from Pioneer (now Geneon), but there are 6-7 episodes on every disc of this set. This makes absolutely no sense as the end of the DVD has not been reached on any disc, with the exception of the third disc, which contains episode 20. It's like they just took all the individual DVDs and combined them into four without doing work on anything, but making sure that audio was good. Doing this kind of thing makes people think that the end of the DVD has been reached, when it has not. However, this does not take down the quality of the show in my book, just the DVD release of it. There should not be anything that suggest the end of the DVD before the final episode of the disc.

Despite the fact that it makes a person think the end of the DVD has been reached, watching this series on DVD was definitely much better than watching it on Netflix. I would recommend people try this series out. It is not for everyone, but if you like to fly, you will enjoy it more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Exile - Excellence on so many levels, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Last Exile: The Complete Series (DVD)
First let me say that I am new to writing reviews so please bear with me. I will not be giving plot synopses or list characters. I also do not give 5 star reviews lightly. As of now there are only a handful of series and a few more anime movies that I would give 5 stars, and I love anime. I own a sizable anime collection (more than 300 discs and a few VHS) and have watch them all at least once. I have also rented several other anime series.

All that said, this is one of the 4 or 5 best anime series I have seen. I keep coming back to this series over and over. If you enjoy anime for more than the chance to see panties flash, over sized breasts bounce, noses bleed and geeks getting smothered by babes, this may be for you. Mind you I do enjoy some of those types of shows and own several. This however is everything that great sci-fi anime is supposed to be. The animation, music and dub are excellent. The main story is great and the sub plots both compelling and supportive of the main plot line. There are many top notch characters for you to love and hate and some who make you feel both ways before the show is over. There is more than one character who appear to be either weak, unfeeling or even evil who redeems his/herself in the end. I will warn you that everyone you may come to care about reach the end safely, but that's true of most good sci-fi. While there's no real fan service, some mild language and sci-fi violence may make it inappropriate for young children. That said, I give this series my highest recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Airships, April 29, 2013
This review is from: Last Exile: The Complete Series (DVD)
So this one has got an unique perspective with different ariel anime. No standardized mecha, just modified airplanes versus advanced starfish shaped craft flown by the Guild. Looks like 2 sides fighting for limited resources and both have possession of flight due to flying fortresses/battleships from a 3rd party, that is not really neutral, but controls progress of the other 2 by design. A boy and a girl struggle their way through life with each other to one day follow in the footsteps of their father's to beat the Grand Stream. In their journey they meet all sorts of people and even becomes friends with those they thought were enemies. A really great story about keeping your dreams and goals regardless of the hardships and struggles in life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, October 16, 2012
KevinB "The Honey Badger" (High Point, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Exile: The Complete Series (DVD)
Last Exile is a very good series Claus and Lavie are a team. They have been living together and racing vanships since their fathers died years ago. They get drawn into a bloody war. They vow to stop the war by solving the riddle that their parents died to uncover. This series is filled with beautiful scenery, lots of action and some very interesting characters. It's a classic and I think even people that aren't into anime can get a lot of enjoyment out of this. If you liked Castle In The Sky, then you will love this one too.

5.0 out of 5 stars good stuff, December 30, 2011
This review is from: Last Exile: The Complete Series (DVD)
This is a great anime and I am happy to finally own it. The only problem I have had with it is it takes about four episodes in to get hooked, but when it hooks you you are in for a great wild ride.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great characters, December 2, 2011
H. B. Zachry "okzack2" (Midwest City, Oklahoma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Exile: The Complete Series (DVD)
I loved the general story line; however, the story was slowed by overly lengthy posturing and battle sequences that detracted from the adventures of the three main characters. The art work was excellent with relation to the three children but fell into somewhat of a rut when they were not part of the sequence. I like it very much but have a tendency to "fast forward" or "skip forward" when the battles become boring.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Think It's a Great Anime, September 27, 2011
This review is from: Last Exile: The Complete Series (DVD)
I discovered this series on Netflix and after watching it there I really wanted the DVD's. I don't do this for many animes but I really enjoyed this one. I'm not sure what one reviewer is talking about when he says that the aerial combat makes no sense. If you keep in mind that this is basically old sailing/steam ship tactics with similar weapons used aerially, the battle sequences make perfect sense. It's the old chivalric code style of battle which makes no sense to our modern minds but is historically accurate. Granted, some of the vanship maneuvers are not quite right, such as the Immelman turn, which is a half loop with a half roll at the top, but I can forgive that since most folks wouldn't know that anyway. Half the time the Immelman turn is incorrectly shown as a Hammerhead stall or stall turn.
I found the story entertaining and engaging and the character development adequate. I do agree with one reviewer that the ending seemed a bit rushed and there are still some loose ends when all is said and done. but overall, I recommend this anime. It's fairly family friendly in that there is no real swearing and the plot line isn't frightening but some characters do die and there is some blood but it's not excessive. Overall, I really enjoyed this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Last Exile: The Complete Series (Classic), August 14, 2011
This review is from: Last Exile: The Complete Series (DVD)
What can I say about this anime series? It's more than great! The animation is incredible! How can I give you a review without spoiling it for you..well..this is not your typical anime...the story can start off a little bit confusing at first but everything starts to make more sense as the story develops. You will love the characters as well and it is a show that will make you think. I'm surprised they have not made this into a live action movie...that is how great it is. I'm glad I bought last exile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show! Mixxing a slight something. 4.5!, October 8, 2014
This review is from: Last Exile: The Complete Series (DVD)
This is a rather cute little show, it has a good cast dynamic and the characters rather than speaking in the same room at each other, actually seem to speak with each other which is an issue in even block buster anime's. There is some very good animation, and its hard to pick out scenes where they are still framing or using stationary objects and characters, it's rather tastefully done.

The story itself is pretty good, there's a lot of fridge logic if you dig deep, but the story up front and center does its duty... You can't help but feel it really needed to be explored a bit more and have some more time to do what it wanted! But I guess it does give it a very quick pacing, mixed with some very slow moments that would just benefit from more exposition on the world they live in... There are some amazing settings and set pieces that just are never explained and could have used a couple extra episodes!

Whoever said too much of a good thing was a dink.

Last Exile: The Complete Series
Last Exile: The Complete Series by Eric P. Sherman (DVD - 2011)
$39.98 $23.96