Published on January 16, 2011 by Konrei

3.0 out of 5 stars She's Got the Devil In Her Heart
Published on January 12, 2011 by Sky

3.0 out of 5 stars She's Got the Devil In Her Heart, January 12, 2011
This review is from: The Last Exorcism [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A little light on the action and (very) long on the story, The Last Exorcism is still a pretty effective Horror movie. While the trailer gives the impression that the movie will be entirely about a demon-possessed young lady on a rampage (I think there's a pretty famous movie like that out there already), it is equally about the final exploits of one of those hoaxy healing ministers who after years of performing (fake) exorcisms starts feeling guilty and decides to expose himself and the trade for what it is through a documentary.

While the movie clocks in at under 90 minutes, it's still a little long and could have been done in a half hour episode of Tales from the Crypt. That format unfortunately is not available for filmmakers anymore (and certainly wouldn't have been as profitable). So little known Director Daniel Stamm found a cast of little known actors and created a full length feature that for the most part was pretty entertaining.

The gist of the story is that this fraudulent healing minister shows up with his TV crew at a farmer's house who claims that his daughter is possessed. The healer aims to document and to disprove the idea of possession while at the same time going through the exorcism motions to simultaneously expose his whole racket. But our minister may have found not only his first real case of possession on this particular farm but also his faith.

To all the critics of this movie, and there seems to be a lot of them....What were you expecting? An Exorcist remake? Go watch The Exorcist again. The Last Exorcism puts a pretty cool spin on a story of possession, and the B cast does an excellent job of leading the viewer through this creepy tale. Definitely worth a spot in your rental queue if you're into the genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Personally, I wouldn't drive out the Devil, but I'd buy him a bus ticket., January 16, 2011
Konrei "Everything I need is right here" (Boca Raton, Florida and Brooklyn, New York) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Last Exorcism (DVD)
THE LAST EXORCISM is a "mockumentary" in the style of THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, chronicling the last exorcism performed by Preacher Cotton Marcus (Patrick Fabian), a televangelist who has made himself famous by performing psychosuggestive exorcisms on credulous subjects. After reading of the death of a child by exorcism, the Preacher renounces his stage-managed performances and embraces medical science. During the course of the film he demonstrates his "demonic" sound-producing equipment and a battery operated smoking crucifix.

Marcus brings a camera along to the home of his last "possessed" adherent, a young girl named Nell, who lives on an isolated farm with her hostile brother and gun-toting father. Farm animals have been found mutilated on the premises. The father is convinced that Nell has killed them. He wants to shoot Nell in order to stop any more evil from occurring, but Preacher Marcus convinces him to allow the exorcism. Although it initially seems to work, soon increasingly bizarre things begin occurring. Marcus is convinced that mental illness is to blame, but the Bible-intoxicated father insists on another round of exorcism.

As the story progresses,the viewer is left to wonder if the father, the brother or the daughter is the perpetrator. The family seems severely dysfunctional, and Nell appears to be a victim. For the first half of the film, it isn't even clear whether this IS a documentary or not. As most of the cast is little-known, the film's director maintains this fiction for a long while. It is only near the end that the question is answered.

I did not expect to enjoy this film, but it was oddly compelling and quite convincing. The close of the film lacked the large payoff that seemed promised, but THE LAST EXORCISM is certainly worth seeing if you are a fan of the genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Honestly, I don't understand why so many people disliked it., November 18, 2010
This review is from: The Last Exorcism (DVD)
I saw this movie with a buddy shortly after getting back from a couple differant flights. I was pleased with the movie(Being an avid non theater kinda guy, 9.75 for one ticket!?!) and felt it was well worth the 10 bucks. My buddy didn't like it, Upon questioning later he said in so many words "Because I didn't want that to be the ending, I wanted to see more". I agree, If there is a sequel I will definatly see it if I'm not busy. I'll elaborate on what some of the other negative reviews said.

-Shakey Camera and Dizzyness. I had absolutly no problem with it, I hardly noticied it after awhile into the film. Though, I have been drown proofed, water boarded, jumped out of helicopters 70 feet above the river, done the "run and puke", etc. I don't have a problem with dizzyness unless I am severly dehydrated. I felt the camera shakeing that was there really added to the "realism" of what the story was trying to convey onto how "We" see it. And, for your typical movie goer, I would think add a flavor of "OMG" while walking back into thier dark empty house. Also, My buddy has none of the military or paramilitary backround that I do, he had no problem with dizzyness or the camera "Shakeing".
-The ending. Everyones an individual; with that said, I disagree. I really enjoyed the ending, and my buddy would to if they elaborated on it(Sequel. I'm sure some people will yell something about Capatalism. I'm sure most of them have a shiny rock on thier finger or thier wife does...) The people that didn't like the story and/or ending to thier movie remind me of the people who at the end of the Sixth Sense went "Oh Come On! He never notices the exit wound!?!".
-It being a "fake" documentary. Really? You felt the need to post that? If this really happened you wouldn't pay 9.75 to see it, It'd be all over every major news network. If you arien't thrilled with them putting out "fake" documentarys, Why did you pay to see this? And if you didn't pay to see this, Well, Can you complain about the brakes on a stolen car?
-Bad acting. Well, Then i'm curious what qualifys as "good" acting. I thought the acting was outstanding, Especially considering that the girl playing Nell did all that crazy bending of her body naturally. That is not special effects. Considering I've dated some pretty flexiable girls and I am double jointed myself, I cringed at a scene when they attempt to make a "deal with the demon".
-Not scary(enough). Well, The theater I was in everyone I had eyes on jumped several times. Myself included. It wasn't "I'm afraid to go to my car" scary for anybody that I saw. You weren't scared, so what?

So to finish, See this movie at your "Own risk". I thought the movie was good, Not great. I made this review to help put in perspective some of the negative reviews. Many people(like my buddy), went home immediatly afterwards mad about the ending. The ending doesn't leave any more plot holes than any other movie, probably less. Rent it for a couple bucks, See it. If you don't like, move on. Don't say "That was a waste of 3 dollars and an hour and a half!". You could have been doing any number of productive things. I've seen 17 year olds who complained less during log PT. I wouldn't say its a diamond with a flaw, More of a perfect pebble. Hopefully, You enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy Weird and Worthwhile!, January 5, 2011
This review is from: The Last Exorcism (DVD)
First of all I thought the ending was the best part. If you thought it was randomly tacked on you obviously weren't paying attention. It was carefully, sneakily alluded too several times. And it was straight out of Lovecraft.

Secondly complaining about the quality of the film is another useless criticism. It is supposed to be a fake documentary. And in that it succeeds brilliantly. In the first couple of moments of the film I found myself reacting with a little skepticism, until I realized that the Cotton character was pitch perfect for a contemporary fraud. Likewise Ashley Bell does a perfect job. She was just off enough, unlike a movie actress, to make me believe in her. The other actors likewise all felt more like real folks than actors.

Thirdly this was not pastiche. This was not a crude slapping together of Rosemary's Baby, Marjoe and the Exorcist. (And when have you seen these things put together before???) Yes it had elements linking those films, but it was hardly culled from them. And the imitation documentary angle really threw it into another zone.

And most importantly the film actually had some intellectual muscles on it. It was a bit of a treatise on the loss of faith in a deeply ironic time. Eli Roth and the other producers say as much in their commentary. Having Cotton pick up his plastic cross to try to find faith again was at the heart of the whole film.

Now the people who hate this film seem to be the kind of folks who like a horror film to run on predictable tracks. I have a friend who just told me she thought it was stupid. No further explanation. She's hated some other films that seemed to have a point to them as well. Well for some people things just suck or are stupid. The cure for such simplistic criticisms might be to watch a few films with subtitles: fat chance of that.

But for my money... If a films engenders really polarized opinions something interesting is most likely going on. And if you like films with brains and subtlety and good acting check this film out and make up your own mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Clever and Creepy, September 16, 2012
This film has a slow build up from a comedic, light documentary style to thoroughly disturbing. I think the slow build up was both calculated and added to the creepy nature of the later parts of the film. The story takes the viewer from laughing along at the ignorance and farce of the exorcism and believers to wondering what is really going on. The ending just tied the rest of it together and gave you the answer. I thought the skepticism inherent in the main characters added a lot. And frankly from the perspective of a non-believer that brought you into the plot starting at the same perspective of the rest of the audience. So, it was easier to follow him down the road they laid out for you. The characters were very realistic, not hollywood glamour types and that made it more believable. I count this as one of the best horror movies I've seen.

The people who complained about the movie being too slow or wanting monster action are people that should stick to watching dumbed-down action flicks. This is more thought out than what they are used to. The slower build up of plot is say more like a story is supposed to be.

2.0 out of 5 stars The last 3 minutes DESTROY a fairly good film, January 18, 2011
This review is from: The Last Exorcism (DVD)
This is worth a rental and I saw it in the theater and was really enjoying it--until the final 3 minutes.

No spoilers here, just a warning that the end of this movie is just dreadful. Also, MANY of the scenes in the trailer and shown in the poster do NOT occur in the film. The poster of her bent over backward---well, she bends over backwards, but not THAT far.

And the poster with her on the ceiling? Never happens.

Again, a rental that really delivers--until the end....

3.0 out of 5 stars Meanders and disappoints..., January 18, 2011
This review is from: The Last Exorcism (DVD)
What starts as an intriguing premise slowly degrades into a silly take on exorcism and religion. This is The Wicker Man rehashed-complete with a twist ending that is discouraging at best. Bell does a great turn as the victim, however Fabian's character is unlikable and hard to watch. You don't care about his journey. The "documentary" feel is OK, but doesn't add anything new here. Southern setting is helpful and creepy, but not enough to save this film. Watch only for Bell's performance, otherwise it simply doesn't achieve the level of fright that it promises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally someone got it right!, January 5, 2013
Robert (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I'm generally left pretty flat by today's showy monsters that dissolve all of the suspense before the story even starts. As many fans will attest -- the F.E.A.R. video game franchise got horror right, giving you flashes of visual and aural (is that the right word?) horror and leaving the rest of the job up to your imagination. This movie got it right, too.

Often times the thought of what's lurking in that dark shadow is scarier than what's actually there, and The Last Exorcism takes it one step further by casting that dark shadow behind a pair of seemingly lifeless eyes. I spent half the film making up my own horror stories about what was in there. The antagonist in this movie (the possessed girl) wins a gold star in my book for giving me a good palette on which to paint my own scary pictures. Quite frankly, I found her to be scarier than the Exorcist girl (hats-off to one of the all-time greats).

I also like the fact that this movie eschewed a lot of the cliche scare tricks that have been done by Hollywood time and time and time again. I'll leave that so as not to spoil anything... but will say that I also don't feel it was a compromise, i.e. "we told her to make a scary face because we couldn't afford make-up". On the contrary, I think the direction, photography, and acting all combined well to pull off the scares without all of the hammy, overblown, computerized bulls*** that Hollywood tries to force down our throats these days.

Because many of them are so disappointing, I tend to stay away from Horror unless it's one of the classics (Alien, The Exorcist, etc.). I was pleasantly surprised by this film. The acting was good (if not great), the script was good, and it gave me some good frights. I was slightly disappointed by the ending, but it wasn't a deal breaker. I'll definitely watch this movie again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Slow Beginning, March 5, 2012
This review is from: The Last Exorcism (DVD)
I can say that this movie is very slow to start off with so if you're looking for the exciting parts, skip the first 30-40 minutes of the film, all you do is see our protagonist talk and travel. The movie itself isn't one of those outstanding originals, but still has moments where the movie has it's good points. This movie will get very mixed reviews due to it being slow and not as good as expected, but with an ending that's almost too easy to predict, now I'm not going to say what the ending is and spoil it for you, that's what you have the internet for, but I can say the ending is extremely stereotypical for those "lost footage" films. The movie predicts the ending for you anyways. Now the basic background is that an "exorcist" (if we can call him that, he's also the reverend as well) gets a letter from a farmer worried about his daughter who is believed to be possessed by the most powerful demon (according to a book the reverend brought with him that describes a number of powerful demons, Abalam being the most powerful and the one that "coils" around young girls/women and impregnates them). After the reverend performs a so called exorcism, he finds the farmer's daughter in his motel/hotel room where she is taken to a hospital. Basic idea of the whole movie: The fake exorcism didn't get rid of the demon the girl was clearly possessed with and they pay for the consequences (especially since they stalled for so long between the time she went to the hospital and the time that the ending happens).
I rated this movie based on how well it satisfied my lust for horror, it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either, so I put at a 3/5 for being a D- movie, not really passing, but not failing either.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Contorting Surprise!, February 17, 2012
JAMES MCCORMICK (cedar rapids, Iowa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Exorcism [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
4 Stars = Classic

Ok, we all know there has been a glut of mocumentary films after the original, "The Blair Witch Project," which I found entertaining. It delivered some good atmosphere of dread & suspense, but I don't worship the digital camera it is made from. I've found several movies in the same vein I like better, "Cloverfield," "Monsters, "Troll Hunter" to name a few. I've found many I did not, like "Paranormal Activity."

This film falls in to the better category for me, with excellent acting, pacing, story, script, & one creepy performance by Ashley Bell as Nell Sweetzer, who may be possessed or not? You'll have to wait & see. Also, Patrick Fabian as Cotton Marcus, puts on a admirable acting job as the flimflam minster, who makes money off of ignorance & misery, but his karma may be catching up to him.

The ending is some what ambiguous, like the "Blair Witch Project," but it is a hell of a ride getting there!

Creepy!

ARRAY(0xa75976f0)

The Last Exorcism [Blu-ray]
The Last Exorcism [Blu-ray] by Daniel Stamm (Blu-ray - 2011)
$19.99 $5.00